• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you give specific genders to?

I actually noticed a little habit that I seemed to have developed recently; if a Pokemon's design seems to lean more towards one gender, I will usually consider it the opposite. It's probably my inner rebel trying to defy the silly idea that certain sexes have to look a certain way, but who knows. Sometimes it's just interesting to see some diversity regardless of sex.

I do the same thing, only I'm a bit more gung-ho about it. 8D; I think it's bullshit how "oh it wears a dress/looks pretty/its graceful" means girl, and "its tough/has muscles/looks powerful" means boy. Pokemon are Pokemon, not human beings, so it'd ridiculous to judge a gender based on appearance.

Except there are some Pokemon that are only one gender, and their looks lean heavily towards that gender. The more feminine Pokemon like Lilligant, Jynx, Blissey, and Florges have a 100% female ratio in the games. Some other Pokemon like Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Delcatty, and Gothitelle also lean more towards the feminine side of things, and have a 75% female ratio in the games. While males do exist in some of those species, they are much harder to find.

Likewise, more masculine Pokemon like Sawk, Throh, Gallade, Tauros, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan all have a 100% male ratio; others like Machamp, Hariyama, Conkeldurr, Alakazam, and Electivire have a 75% male ratio.

While sometimes Pokemon laugh at the concept of gender-based appearances, sometimes it's intentionally designed that way. There are lots of other Pokemon with ratios that favor one gender over the other based on appearance and personality, so it only makes sense that some people would perceive certain Pokemon as a certain gender.

It's kinda too wierd to think there are female Machoke & Machamp with their... pecs. All shirtless and stuff.

Let's be honest here, don't we all associate Mr. Mime with being a male?

At one time, I thought Bisharp should be a mostly male dominated species. However, since I've been working with a female, I prefer my Bisharp feminine.

As for genderless species, it depends on their appearance: Palkia is male while Mew is female, etc.

Golurk, however, is pretty much always male. Same with Golett. Don't ask...

Delphox should be only female. And so Braixen. Seriously! They wear dresses!

Delphox is based on a mage, and its fur is meant to be reminiscent of a robe, not a dress. Like Gandalf's get-up. Though I certainly have no issues with a man wearing a dress, regardless.

Delphox also has some resemblance to scientists IMO, especially madman scientists.

Let's be honest here, don't we all associate Mr. Mime with being a male?

The original Japanese name (Barrierd) is gender-neutral, so I personally try not to let that male honorific have too much bearing upon my perception of the species.

Similar to most everyone else, if a Pokemon looks feminine, I normally would call it "she" if not "it". Like Mawile, Jigglypuff, and Delphox. Same thing for masculine looking Pokemon, like most Fighting-types; I'd say "he". For Pokemon that really don't look more like one gender or the other, I tend to just say "it" rather than give it a random gender. Maybe for, I don't know, a Joltik or something like that.

Though, I tend to find myself using "he" and "it" more often than "she". Don't know why. Unless it's really, really feminine, like Ninetales, Cinccino, or a 100% female Pokemon, I don't really use "she" a lot for some reason.

I usually give Legendaries gender pronouns based on their appearance.
For example: I generally refer to Suicune as a "she" because of her elegant and graceful appearance. While i refer to a pokemon like Rayquaza or Arceus as "he" because their appearances look more intimidating and masculine-y to me (in the case of Arceus it is mostly because he is the God of all pokemon and most Monotheistic gods are reffered to with male pronouns). For the "cutesy" legendaries (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Victini, Meloetta and the like) i generally refer to them as "she" because their appearance looks more feminine to me. But legendaries like the Regi-trio i usually call "it" because they don't really have anything in the way of looks or emotion to identify either way.

I gender the genderless Legendaries.

Celebi: Female
Mewtwo: Male
Victini: Male
Dialga: Male
Palkia: Female
Giratina: Male
Jirachi: Male
Manaphy: Female
Shaymin: Female
Articuno: Male
Zapdos: Female
Moltres: Male
Lugia: Female
Ho-Oh: Male

Annnd those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I have a male milotic that looks so feminine i can't help think 'she'. The nickname Venus doesn't help, even though i named him after the song 'Venus as a boy' (as well as Venus de Milo).

None of them. I can only consider them as they are, and don't understand how others see them as feminine or masculine. I've used male Gardevoir and Milotic as well as female Machamp and Probopass without thinking about it at all.

Roserade, Lopunny, Gardevoir, Gothitelle - female.

That's fair enough, I just prefer the longer cape ;o

My main team of Delphox, Lilligant (obvious), Gardevoir, Mawile, Simipour and Goodra all feel like they should be girls...
Aside from that, I have this feeling that the other elemental monkeys are guys. Must be the fact Simisage doesn't look like he's wearing a shirt (that would never make sense...) and Simisear... I dunno.

(Addenum: when I constructed the team in Y, I got all girls... except for Delphox.

I call Aggrons as females because my best Aggron on my team is female, and I've been referring the whole species as females ever since.

I have a definite idea of gender for each Pokémon, except the ones that are very, very genderless, like Magnemite and Porygon.

I tend to think of Ninetales as female, though to be fair, their gender ratio is tilted in that direction. Mostly though, I don't agree with a lot of the gender assignments given in the game, particularly the "genderless/unable to breed" category they give, or the "all male category".

One, you can't really say Magnemite or Magneton are genderless purely based on appearance. To do so is to forget creatures like Ghastly or Muk. Those two have genders. I've said this before, but Ghastly is a ball of gas with eyes and a mouth. How on Earth does something like that have a gender? Or Muk for that matter, since it's a living pile of toxic goo? But no matter what, they gave them genders and made them able to breed. With that in mind, Magnemite and many of the seemingly genderless/unable to breed species should be able to have genders. There is no reason a metal sphere with an eye and a couple magnets can't have a gender when the ball of gas and pile of living sludge can, none at all. Maybe it's just very hard to tell. That happens.

With some species, I accept the genderless assignment because it works in context. This goes for the Starmie line because it's very hard to tell with real starfish and they can also self-reproduce. Porygon too works because it is digital, and so doesn't have a gender strictly in the biological sense. But I suppose you could apply pronouns like he or she to it if you wanted.

Some legendaries seem like male and female, and with others, like Dialga, it may not matter. In fact, with Dialga, it can call itself he or she or whatever it wants, simply because it's Dialga and I don't think you can argue with it there. And as far as the "all-male" lines that are non-legendary or not a gender compliment, I tend to make them both male and female, because that idea is just ridiculous to me.

Like other people have said, the standards for gender traits are different for Pokemon than they are for humans. Alakazam has a mustache, and while it may be shorter on their women, it is still present, so Alakazam do not consider mustaches an un-feminine trait. The Machop line also displays this, since large muscles build up is also not considered by them to be un-feminine, despite similar buildup to be looked at that way by humans.

And lastly, take the Nidoran lines. We humans usually think of blue as a baby boy's color, and pink as a baby girl's color. But the Nidoran think the opposite. The male Nidoran is pink and the female is blue. Therefore, to the Nidoran, pink is considered a very masculine color, and blue is a very feminine color.

I give feminity where they are deserved, such as Gardevoir, Mawile and Mismagius, and masculinity where it is deserved, such as Banette, Mewtwo and Sableye.
Most legendaries I give based upon appearance.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom