• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you lean on as your "Catcher"?

Reaction score
So as we know, KO'ing opposing Pokemon is easy. Sometimes, a little Too easy. Whether you're facing off against a Legendary / Mythical, or just a level 13 Burmy of a type you need which popped out of a tree against your level 60+ party, the real challenge all too often is keeping both your pokemon and the pokemon facing you alive long enough to catch it.
To that end, there's some common things which help:
  • Bulky defensive stats
  • Good defensive typing
  • False Swipe or other moves guaranteed to get them low but not KO
  • Non-Damaging Status condition infliction, the more accurate (like Thunderwave and Spore) the better
  • HP Recovery Moves like Roost save on potion costs
So who are you using? For me it's Scizor, the great typing, minimal weaknesses, strong attack with False Swipe does good enough, and it's a great pokemon to use. It's far from the only viable choice however. So when you're in battle but need to capture rather than KO a Pokemon, who do you turn to in your party?

Usually my Torterra with Sleep Powder. My Braviary’s Twister, especially in agile style, comes in handy too. My team is all in the 90s so it’s hard not to kill everything in one hit at this point.

For me, it was primarily Gardevoir due to Hypnosis. However, if I could reliably put an opposing Pokémon in the yellow or red without KOing it, I would use whatever I had on hand or was training at the time. I generally avoided using really strong Pokémon when my mission was to capture a particular mon, though, for fear of accidentally KOing it.

For me, it was primarily Gardevoir due to Hypnosis. However, if I could reliably put an opposing Pokémon in the yellow or red without KOing it, I would use whatever I had on hand or was training at the time. I generally avoided using really strong Pokémon when my mission was to capture a particular mon, though, for fear of accidentally KOing it.

Makes sense! Something noteworthy - Gardevoir and Hypnosis users are fine options, but so is Kirlia's other evolution Gallade. Gallade is unique in having both Hypnosis and False Swipe. Ignoring type, stats, and so forth, really only Parasect is better (having a 100% sleep move and false swipe). Of course Parasect has way too many weaknesses and too poor of stats to ever be a great option in my book, and I presume you want Gardevoir for the Fairy typing more than anything else, so it's not like Gallade is a comparable swap.

Just thought it was funny because the list of "has a somewhat reliable non-damaging status effect infliction move and also false swipe" Pokemon is exactly 2 long to my knowledge and one of the two was an alternate evolution away from making the cut for you.

oh, i use my drifblim! initially i just used them to help catch stuff while i filled out the dex entries for it and drifloon since it had hypnosis but it ended up becoming a staple of the team! clown guy my beloved :)
Ani426MS.png

I’ve been using my Alpha Kleavor which, due to my policy regarding perfecting certain Pokémon’s Dex entries before moving onto the next big area (as long as the completion requirements are reasonable enough to do before moving on), is currently leveled at the late 80s. It’s also my main space-time distortion Pokémon.

Either Gardevoir or Rotom, depending on whether Hypnosis or Thunder Wave works better for the certain situation. I prefer Thunder Wave's better standard accuracy so Rotom (Mow by default but can currently use Wash too) tends to take the main role.

My Samurott. There's a reason he's just a little bit overleveled. I mean, 20 levels above the rest is normal, right?
Same. It only costs 500 for False Swipe and how many other Pokémon are readily available so early to learn it? (Rowlet can do it too but not Cyndaquil)

It’s also my main space-time distortion Pokémon.

I’m not sure why it never occurred to me to designate a Pokemon for those rifts, especially since I’m never prepared when I go in… I’m just afraid of missing them

I often found myself relying on 2 Pokemon in particular: Hisuian Lilligant for its quick Stun Spore & Hippowdown for being such a strong & durable tank that I can just chuck Poke Balls at Pokemon all day without fear.

I mainly use my Crobat since she has Hypnosis and is decently strong if things don't go right.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom