• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you think that the Writers Liked and Disliked?

You know, it is hard to keep track of how often Pokemon can be shown, but I am surprised no one has brought up Dragonite (or Dragonair). Drake may have had the worst Dragonite (though we saw Palmer's for all of a minute) and it still was shown a good amount of respect.

Its kinda obvious the writers prefer Boldore over Gigalith.

Boldore has appeared in every series since its introduction (Even appeared 5 times before Goh caught one in Journeys), while Gigalith has only 2 episodes behind its name (And was in a movie, but so was Boldore), but both episodes were in Unova.

I think part of that is how difficult Gigalith would be to draw (much less animate even a little bit) but fair.

It’s based on personality value in Gen 3 as well, according to Bulbapedia. The personality value literally originated in Gen 3.
Then why is it that every Wurmple I had that weren't those 5 natures always evolved into Cascoon? Nature values clearly take priority when it comes to PVs for Wurmple.

As for bird neglect, no other Flying Type has had it worse than Noivern (not technically a bird). It didn't even get to be used in a single Gym Battle, also it had to compete against Ash's other Flying Types; Hawlucha and Talonflame. Overall it didn't get a single victory and felt like it was only added to replace Goodra.

Then why is it that every Wurmple I had that weren't those 5 natures always evolved into Cascoon?
Luck. The personality value influenced both the nature and the wurmple evolution, but there is no correlation between the two in the game's code. Any nature of Wurmple can evolve into any of the evolutions in all generations. Just because a 95% accuracy move missed thrive in a row for me doesn’t change the fact that it was just luck and doesn’t mean that the move's accuracy is not coded as 95%.
Nature values clearly take priority when it comes to PVs for Wurmple.
It doesn’t. The game’s coding literally disagrees.

Drake may have had the worst Dragonite
Have any Dragonite since done anything on par with his downing half of Ash's team?
It's at least better than the pokeringer Dragonite that lost to Paul's Honchkrow.

Though it does feel like Dragonite got better treatment than many of the other psuedos.
Edit: Looking back Dragonite sort of had an advantage over later ones; at the time he was simply the second strongest in the games (stat-wise) rather than being the first of an entire category of powerhouses. It's understandable the anime wouldn't put as much effort on showing off the later ones as incredibly powerful.

Last edited:
The internet sort of just assumes Pikachu gets odd wins (if anything people over-meme him in that regard), while Greninja got a bunch of hype that crashed spectacularly. There's a lot more meme potential there.
It didn't hurt that Greninja's KO pose was just close enough to the Yamcha death pose.
That's a good point, but Aegislash also lost to Tierno's Raichu, so it does kinda make you think if the poor sword just has bad luck against electricity shooting rodents.
Another point I'd like to add, is that, no only counting the atomic bomb that was the fiasco with the Greninja x Charizard having a poor finale to the audience's tastes, is that Sawyer's Aegislash didn't had that. It didn't had any sort of rivarly against anything and wasn't a major Pokémon like Greninja was.

Besides, it's way more believable for a Steel type to lose against two Electric types, considering that Electric is one of the very few types it doesn't resists, rather than Greninja's situation, where a Water type got taken out by a Fire move.

Last edited:
Another point I'd to add, is that, no only counting the atomic bomb that was the fiasco with the Greninja x Charizard having an poor finale to the audience's tastes, is that Sawyer's Aegislash didn't had that. It didn't had any sort of rivarly against anything and wasn't a major Pokémon like Greninja was.

Besides, it's way more believable for a Steel type to lose against two electric types, considering that Electric is one of the very few types it doesn't resists rather than Greninja's situation, where a Water type got taken out by a Fire move.
The Greninja situation is honestly so messy I find it funny in a twisted way. Greninja literally defeated a Mega Sceptile that quad resists it’s signature move. The type matchups were supposed to be a part of the suspension of disbelief package when it comes to Greninja, I guess.

Another point I'd like to add, is that, no only counting the atomic bomb that was the fiasco with the Greninja x Charizard having an poor finale to the audience's tastes, is that Sawyer's Aegislash didn't had that. It didn't had any sort of rivarly against anything and wasn't a major Pokémon like Greninja was.

Besides, it's way more believable for a Steel type to lose against two electric types, considering that Electric is one of the very few types it doesn't resists rather than Greninja's situation, where a Water type got taken out by a Fire move.

I mean, Greninja shouldn't have been in the final anyways, considering Frenzy Plant from Mega Sceptile should have one shotted it.

Edit: As much as I like to meme about Swellow he probably would have been left behind if Ash had all the starters again.
...You know, that's actually an interesting point about the birds: the ones that were treated well were always during eras when Ash didn't catch all that region's Starters, while the ones that had to compete with the entire trio were the ones who fared poorly. I think Staraptor is especially lucky in that regard, because while Swellow and Talonflame each only had one Starter to be overshadowed by, Staraptor had to compete with two, and he actually came out faring significantly better than one of them. I mean, wow, talk about an epic bullet dodge there. Seriously, if the track record with birds is any indication, then if Torterra hadn't been turned into the Sinnoh team's designated jobber, chances are Staraptor would have been the one relegated to that instead.

The Greninja situation is honestly so messy I find it funny in a twisted way. Greninja literally defeated a Mega Sceptile that quad resists it’s signature move. The type matchups were supposed to be a part of the suspension of disbelief package when it comes to Greninja, I guess.
Greninja's actual Ability must be something that causes the Inverse Battles effect where the usual type advantages and disadvantages are reversed :p

Greninja's actual Ability must be something that causes the Inverse Battles effect where the usual type advantages and disadvantages are reversed :p
...That makes so much sense. I need to keep that in mind for possible future Greninja appearances.

Blastoise is definitely an underrated mon. I mean, it’s first episode was literally filler. Ash’s squirtle had more than enough opportunities to evolve: The Ritchie fight, heck, even the debut of blastoise would have been good for an evolution, even if to just make that episode not suck.

I must agree with Rainbow_Rain that the writers kinda hate Decidueye, since they let a freaking ROWLET defeat it :confused: .
I know they want to prove that un-evolve Pokemons are strong too, but it doesn't mean that letting a hardly-trained and fully-evolved one get defeated by the one who sleeps during battle. I just feel like getting insulted [btw, no Rowlet hate].

But also, I don't think the writers hate Goodra, because they just wrote an amazing backstory for it, and it actually have good and natural characteristics. I don't judge if it's bad or not, but I don't think they really hate Goodra that much (despite they let Ash released it too soon, sad;-; )

I don't personally believe they straight up, actually hate it, but Raichu is, to me, one of the most mistreated Pokémon in the history of Pokéani, cuz they basically made nearly every Raichu to be either a mean-spirited bully or a whiny whimp, all to justify Ash's Pikachu not evolving.

Like, ''Hey kids! See that? Raichu is a bad Pokémon! Which is why Pikachu won't ever evolve! You don't want your favorite Pokémon becaoming a bully or a whimp, don't you????"

Even tho I do think it's portrails have been a bit better over the years, I won't ever get over how absurdly funny SM013 was as an ep. They learned that Raichu had gotten a variant, and then, the second they introduced it in the anime, they immediatly made sure to make it have a rivalry with Ash's Pikachu for absolutely no reason.

"Hey kids! It's another version of Raichu! But see, this one is just as bad!!!! Good thing our beloved 'Chu won't ever evolve into that one either!"

I don't personally believe they straight up, actually hate it, but Raichu is, to me, one of the most mistreated Pokémon in the history of Pokéani, cuz they basically made nearly every Raichu to be either a mean-spirited bully or a whiny whimp, all to justify Ash's Pikachu not evolving.

Like, ''Hey kids! See that? Raichu is a bad Pokémon! Which is why Pikachu won't ever evolve! You don't want your favorite Pokémon becaoming a bully or a whimp, don't you????"

Even tho I do think it's portrails have been a bit better over the years, I won't ever get over how absurdly funny SM013 was as an ep. They learned that Raichu had gotten a variant, and then, the second they introduced it in the anime, they immediatly made sure to make it have a rivalry with Ash's Pikachu for absolutely no reason.

"Hey kids! It's another version of Raichu! But see, this one is just as bad!!!! Good thing our beloved 'Chu won't ever evolve into that one either!"
At least they gave Goh a very sweet Raichu

Not to mention they never showed Raichu's Z-Move, but they DID show both of Pikachu's Z-Moves.

I do remember an episode about a girl who was too scared to hug Raichu because it electrocutes her by accident each time and Ash helps her overcome it. So that wasn't a Raichu being bad, it's just a part of their biology.

Last edited:
The writing team clearly liked Noivern far too much, or heavily disliked Goodra, considering how quickly they dropped Ash's Goodra and then gave him a Noibat whose evolution episode was a clearly half-assed repeat of Fletchinder's.

The writing team clearly liked Noivern far too much, or heavily disliked Goodra, considering how quickly they dropped Ash's Goodra and then gave him a Noibat whose evolution episode was a clearly half-assed repeat of Fletchinder's.
I don't think they heavily disliked Goodra, especially given the fact it is the first pseudo legendary they let Ash own and fully evolve; the line is/was also one of the more popular Pokémon of Gen VI at the time. It seemed more like they wrote themselves into a corner with how powerful they made Goodra and how quickly they gave it to him. A fully evolved pseudo-legendary could possibly overshadow the others, hence Goodra's temporary retirement to focus on more adequate strength Pokémon for the period of time Ash was in; akin to what they did with Charizard in the beginning of Johto. The writers don't seem to like Ash running around too long with conventionally strong Pokémon unless the respective series is near its end (albeit this is somewhat averted with Dragonite, but a regional Gym Challenge is different from battling anywhere in the world at anytime against any level of opponent).

I have no idea about what Noivern (a third flyer) was supposed to be, considering Ash didn't use it for any Gym Battles; in hindsight, it could have evolved earlier and taken Talonflame's place against the wonder twins. I'm assuming they wanted to keep up the draconic presence as well as give Ash's rather serious looking team some kid appeal, but that's the best I got.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom