• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you think would be in an Australian region Pokedex?

Reaction score
So I'm currently developing a fanmade Pokemon region based off Australia named Audara. I've made some Fakemon, but I'm not here to talk about them (though I'd be willing to share some if you ask). Instead, I want some ideas of what old Pokemon you think would live in an Australian region. From the obvious like Kangaskhan to some other mons you think might fit like Rockruff and Lycanroc, give me some ideas so you can help me develop the Audara regional Pokedex!

For fakemon, it's an absolute must to have a kookaburra and magpie for me. Classic Aussie birds.

For existing mons, I live in Perth where swans are decently common and we have some families living in our local park so I have to say Ducklett and Swanna to cover that region. Also Chatot, Spinarak/Ariados, Komala, Psyduck/Golduck (as close to platypus as you can get right now), Squawkabilly, Emolga (similar to sugar glider), Ekans/Arbok, Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion (echidna). Definitely more but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

I know Kangaskhan is a “kangaroo”, but I wish for one who looked different imo. They have repeated other kinds of animals.

As for pokemon, Komala returning is a given. Would be cool to see a Dingo pokemon and perhaps a Tasmanian one too (since they are known to be in the Oceania area as well).

For fakemon, it's an absolute must to have a kookaburra and magpie for me. Classic Aussie birds.

For existing mons, I live in Perth where swans are decently common and we have some families living in our local park so I have to say Ducklett and Swanna to cover that region. Also Chatot, Spinarak/Ariados, Komala, Psyduck/Golduck (as close to platypus as you can get right now), Squawkabilly, Emolga (similar to sugar glider), Ekans/Arbok, Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion (echidna). Definitely more but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.
You're in luck! The regional bird is a magpie (Names are Swoopeck, Aernoyance, and Magruesome)
also omg how did this get so many responses

I haven't seen people mention this... but there are obviously some Water based Pokemon we have that can live in an Australia region.
Dewgong line
Sharpedo line
Wailmer line
Finizen line

While Espathra is based on an Ostrich... you can put it in an Australia region as well... since it can be seen as an Emu as well.

Popplio is a seal/sea lion... so is harder to place due to its being a starter... but we also have Cyndaquil as an Echidna.

You can also put in all the rabbit Pokemon we have (Except for maybe the Scorbunny line due to them being starters), just like the Rattata, Sentret and Skwovet lines (Since both are based on Squirrels).

For Pokemon based on reptiles... we have
Kecleon (Gecko)
Sandile line (Crocodile)
Helioptile Line (Frilled Lizard)

Evolutions for Ariados, and by extension Ledian. Also, a regional variant of the Doduo/Dodrio line.

That's all I have so far because I'm not knowledgeable regarding the Australian wild life

Potentially a regional form of the Sandile line based off of the Saltwater Crocodile? Or maybe a Chatot regional form based on a lyrebird or kookaburra? There are just so many possibilities you could go with. You could have a regional Ekans line based off of any of the hundreds of venomous snakes, a regional Rockruff or Growlithe line based off of the Australian cattle dog or dingo, a regional form of Bombirdier based on the Australian fire hawk, or any other idea you can come up with that you genuinely like.
As for existing mons, I would definitely suggest the Carvanha line for all the sharks endemic to Australia, the Spinirak, Tarountula, and Joltik lines for the various different spiders, the Ekans and Dunsparce lines and Seviper for the rather large variety of snakes, the Woobat line for the flying fox, Eiscue for the little penguin, the Skiddo line for the few species of goats, Tympole and Poliwag lines for the wide range of frogs, the Fletchling, Taillow, and Rufflet lines for the wide variety of birds of prey, the Ducklett and Psyduck lines for the sparce number of ducks, and finally the Skrelp line for sea dragons.

The Bunnelby line would be interesting to have. Rabbits are an invasive species to Australia. That would be a good Pokédex entry. You might also want to do a regional form for it.

Another interesting concept would be to add an evolution to Komala that is based off a Drop Bear, a scary version of a koala bear. It would evolve similar to Pancham

the great barrier reefs out there, maybe a regional corsola or another regional evo? i think clamperl, gorebyss, and huntail would fit right in, qwilfish, too. i can see luvdiscs, alomomolas, mantykes/mantines, clobbopus/grapplocts, clauncher/clawitzer, relicanths, skrelp/dragalge, dhelmise, and bruxishes being out there also. maybe invasive alolan muk/grimers by way of ocean currents? binacles stuck on boats in harbors and marinas; wattrels+kilowattrels, wingulls+pelippers, cramorants perched on docks and buoys waiting to harass unsuspecting tourists; pyukumukus, pincurchins, krabbys, and sandygasts on the beaches.
regional variants of any of those would be cool as well or you could pull a sinnoh and depending on if theyre from a certain coastline theyre a different coloration? like warm northern waters vs cold southern waters?
maybe a regional of ekans/arbok thats a sea snake? or a poison-type octillery regional inspired by the blue-ringed octopus? maybe an orthworm regional based on the gigantic earthworms there? it might also be worth your time to look into the history and culture of the Aboriginal people! their dot paintings make me think of a regional smeargle ^_^

a quokka-mon could be your region mammal, like rattata or zigzagoon, and i think a funnel web or trapdoor spider mon would be cool! or something based on the bulldog ant, i love its weird shaped mandibles :bulbaLol: (plus theres only one other ant-mon, durant, maybe heatmor can have a regional in the form of an echidna?) theres also the goliath stickbug, one based on that would be neat bc we dont have any stickbug-based mons yet! maybe even different forms for different types of trees? lastly, not to reference finding nemo on an australia thread, but maybe a clownfish-mon and anemone-mon that work together like tatsugiri+dondozo? :ayeaye:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom