• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • AussieEevee trains in the Bellsprout Tower on his journey through Johto. Watch as he ascends to the next level here.

What pokemon do you use as HM Slaves?

Reaction score
I don't use specific ones. But I remember owning a Giriatina where 3 of it's 4 moves where HMs.

Keep moving forward
Reaction score
I have a Floatzel as my water slave (Surf, Waterfall, Dive and Strength). I also use Volcarona as a Fly/Flame Body slave.

Reaction score
Gen 3: Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash) and some random Water-type (Surf, Waterfall and Dive)

Gen 4: Bibarel - The lord of HM slaves.

The best thing about Gen 5 (aside from reusable TM's) is that you don't really need HM slaves.
Early in the game you need to use Cut a few times but you most likely don't have a team of 6 by then so you can just put a Patrat with Cut in there.
And because of the reusable TM's you can just teach one of your Pokemon Flash and Rock Smash in the instances were you need to by deleting a move you already have as a TM. So when your'e done you can just teach the Pokemon the TM again.
Another great thing about Gen5 is that you don't need any HM's (aside from Strength) to pass through Victory Road. It was very annoying in previous generations that you sometimes had to box one of your team members (if you had a team of 6, that is) to make room for a HM slave who knew, say Flash and Rock Smash.

I poke your snoot
Reaction score
HeartGold: Mew!

Black: Swanna (along with a Patrat, Stoutland and Gyarados for HMs that are used sparingly)

In the first game I ever played (Silver), I had each of my team members know an HM move. HM slaves were a foreign concept to the 12-year-old me.

Reaction score
In Pokemon Platinum I used Bibarel and it was quite help full, It could smash boulders surf on water use cut and strength and even Waterfall, Though having to keep depositing and withdrawing it got kind of annoying.

Reaction score
Gen 3: Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash) and some random Water-type (Surf, Waterfall and Dive)

Gen 4: Bibarel - The lord of HM slaves.

The best thing about Gen 5 (aside from reusable TM's) is that you don't really need HM slaves.
Early in the game you need to use Cut a few times but you most likely don't have a team of 6 by then so you can just put a Patrat with Cut in there.
And because of the reusable TM's you can just teach one of your Pokemon Flash and Rock Smash in the instances were you need to by deleting a move you already have as a TM. So when your'e done you can just teach the Pokemon the TM again.
Another great thing about Gen5 is that you don't need any HM's (aside from Strength) to pass through Victory Road. It was very annoying in previous generations that you sometimes had to box one of your team members (if you had a team of 6, that is) to make room for a HM slave who knew, say Flash and Rock Smash.
Basically the exact same deal for me. As long as you have a move that you didn't use a PP Up on that can be removed and replaced easily you're good.

the future is not written
Reaction score
I use a myriad of pokemon, but the best combo that I ever had was Gen III, where I was completely covered by... Wailmer and Tropius, lol.

It's all ogre now.
Reaction score
I have only ver used three HM slaves:
HGSS: Bellsprout: Temporary, only knew Cut, traded it in-game for an Onix.
Krabby: Also temporary, used it for Surf to get to Cianwood, traded it in-game for a Voltorb once my Magikarp evolved.

BW: Just a Frillish to get to the dark patches on Route 11, didn't want to waste a spot of my Milotic for Waterfall.

Pt: Really, my whole main team pitches in, but THAT'S subject to change. I'm gonna delete 'em all, except for Surf and Fly.

Hyped for Everything.
Reaction score
Bibarel is, in most opinions, the best HM Slave. All it needs to learn is Fly and we've got ourselves the perfect slave.

I do wish that in the next Generation, Gamefreak would change the HM's to TM's and create Key Items that let you perform the tasks that HM's would allow you to normally do (like the "Floatation Device", which would allow you to surf).

The Fallen
Reaction score
I have never had an HM slave, I always have a pokemon in my team for every important HM(Surf, and Fly primarily and then Strength and Waterfall as needed).

MegaEvolutionMegaProfesr!
Reaction score
Pelipper deserves mention here. But mine are mostly the common ones, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME
Reaction score
Silver version was the only time I made a Pokemon one. My (cloned) Feraligatr knew Surf, Whirlpool, Cut, and Strength

The Fallen
Reaction score
Bibarel is, in most opinions, the best HM Slave. All it needs to learn is Fly and we've got ourselves the perfect slave.

I do wish that in the next Generation, Gamefreak would change the HM's to TM's and create Key Items that let you perform the tasks that HM's would allow you to normally do (like the "Floatation Device", which would allow you to surf).
This is a very interesting idea,
I also really LOVED that in Black and White TMs became unlimited use like HMs, that is BEAST! I wish that had been around from the beginning.

I Dont Suck, It's Rigged
Reaction score
tropius = fly, flash, stregnth, rock smash, cut

gyarados = surf, dive, rock smash, waterfall, stregnth, wirlpool

or you could just go with mew or arceus

Banana eating Gengar
Reaction score
The Red Gyarados, Bidoof and Zigzagoon. Tropius is a good one as is Pelliper.

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Bidoof/Bibarel. Its goofy looks certainly don't stop it being a useful HM slave.