• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

What pokemon do you use as HM Slaves?

remember me
Reaction score
Bibarel, as mentioned about a million times before, is the most useful, as it can learn Surf as well as the random other HMs. It's the only Pokémon that I've ever actually used as only an HM slave.

Reaction score
Golduck and Skarmory were great in SS, they could learn every HM and flash :D

Now when I have a Dragonite that can fly and surf and my Feraligatr knows Waterfall, I have Sneasel (Whirlpool, False Swipe, Headbutt, Cut) and a Cubone (Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb)

Reaction score
Mew would be the best HM Slave, since it can learn any TM and HM.

The Hellish Angel
Reaction score
On my old Crystal file, I had a Poliwhirl that knew Surf, Whirlpool, AND Waterfall. Even though I also had a Feraligatr with Surf, it's because it can't learn Waterfall. Should've just boxed him.

ヘイック
Reaction score
I usually have Bibarel as a HM slave in DPP, it's very useful as it can learn so many of them. In other games it varies, though in HG I taught Surf and Waterfall to the shiny Gyarados

the future is not written
Reaction score
Everyone's saying Bibarel, and to that point: I have two Bibarels as HM slaves in Platinum.

Reaction score
I tend to use Golduck. He's able to surf, rock climb, rock smash and use strength. After that I just need something that can use cut and fly, but I usually have those moves around on other things.

All hail me!
Reaction score
My best combo was in platinum..
My golduck + tropius covered everything (I taught golduck flash rather than waterfall, because some caves required it and i'm too lazy to keep changing pokes)
I taught waterfall to my gyarados, a core member of my team..

Reaction score
So far, pidove and patrat. They're easy to catch and to dumb HM's on.

Reaction score
If i'm bothering to cheat i use Mew,if not get one for Cut and Flash and distribute the resat in the team

(!) Let's battle!
Reaction score
I used a Golett for all of the non-water HMs. But my Simipour is for Dive, surf, and waterfall

Doesn't like your writing
Reaction score
Volcarona for its ability + fly.
Swanna for Surf + Fly

Fortunately in B/W you don't need to use HMs all that much.

Outlaws for Life
Reaction score
I use the regional early mammal for my HM slaves :D