• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What pokemon do you use as HM Slaves?

Julum

Reaction score
I don't use specific ones. But I remember owning a Giriatina where 3 of it's 4 moves where HMs.

I have a Floatzel as my water slave (Surf, Waterfall, Dive and Strength). I also use Volcarona as a Fly/Flame Body slave.

Gen 3: Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash) and some random Water-type (Surf, Waterfall and Dive)

Gen 4: Bibarel - The lord of HM slaves.

The best thing about Gen 5 (aside from reusable TM's) is that you don't really need HM slaves.
Early in the game you need to use Cut a few times but you most likely don't have a team of 6 by then so you can just put a Patrat with Cut in there.
And because of the reusable TM's you can just teach one of your Pokemon Flash and Rock Smash in the instances were you need to by deleting a move you already have as a TM. So when your'e done you can just teach the Pokemon the TM again.
Another great thing about Gen5 is that you don't need any HM's (aside from Strength) to pass through Victory Road. It was very annoying in previous generations that you sometimes had to box one of your team members (if you had a team of 6, that is) to make room for a HM slave who knew, say Flash and Rock Smash.

HeartGold: Mew!

Black: Swanna (along with a Patrat, Stoutland and Gyarados for HMs that are used sparingly)

In the first game I ever played (Silver), I had each of my team members know an HM move. HM slaves were a foreign concept to the 12-year-old me.

In Pokemon Platinum I used Bibarel and it was quite help full, It could smash boulders surf on water use cut and strength and even Waterfall, Though having to keep depositing and withdrawing it got kind of annoying.

Gen 3: Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash) and some random Water-type (Surf, Waterfall and Dive)

Gen 4: Bibarel - The lord of HM slaves.

The best thing about Gen 5 (aside from reusable TM's) is that you don't really need HM slaves.
Early in the game you need to use Cut a few times but you most likely don't have a team of 6 by then so you can just put a Patrat with Cut in there.
And because of the reusable TM's you can just teach one of your Pokemon Flash and Rock Smash in the instances were you need to by deleting a move you already have as a TM. So when your'e done you can just teach the Pokemon the TM again.
Another great thing about Gen5 is that you don't need any HM's (aside from Strength) to pass through Victory Road. It was very annoying in previous generations that you sometimes had to box one of your team members (if you had a team of 6, that is) to make room for a HM slave who knew, say Flash and Rock Smash.
Basically the exact same deal for me. As long as you have a move that you didn't use a PP Up on that can be removed and replaced easily you're good.

I use a myriad of pokemon, but the best combo that I ever had was Gen III, where I was completely covered by... Wailmer and Tropius, lol.

I have only ver used three HM slaves:
HGSS: Bellsprout: Temporary, only knew Cut, traded it in-game for an Onix.
Krabby: Also temporary, used it for Surf to get to Cianwood, traded it in-game for a Voltorb once my Magikarp evolved.

BW: Just a Frillish to get to the dark patches on Route 11, didn't want to waste a spot of my Milotic for Waterfall.

Pt: Really, my whole main team pitches in, but THAT'S subject to change. I'm gonna delete 'em all, except for Surf and Fly.

Bibarel is, in most opinions, the best HM Slave. All it needs to learn is Fly and we've got ourselves the perfect slave.

I do wish that in the next Generation, Gamefreak would change the HM's to TM's and create Key Items that let you perform the tasks that HM's would allow you to normally do (like the "Floatation Device", which would allow you to surf).

Pelipper deserves mention here. But mine are mostly the common ones, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel.

Silver version was the only time I made a Pokemon one. My (cloned) Feraligatr knew Surf, Whirlpool, Cut, and Strength

Bibarel is, in most opinions, the best HM Slave. All it needs to learn is Fly and we've got ourselves the perfect slave.

I do wish that in the next Generation, Gamefreak would change the HM's to TM's and create Key Items that let you perform the tasks that HM's would allow you to normally do (like the "Floatation Device", which would allow you to surf).

This is a very interesting idea,
I also really LOVED that in Black and White TMs became unlimited use like HMs, that is BEAST! I wish that had been around from the beginning.

tropius = fly, flash, stregnth, rock smash, cut

gyarados = surf, dive, rock smash, waterfall, stregnth, wirlpool

or you could just go with mew or arceus

Bidoof/Bibarel. Its goofy looks certainly don't stop it being a useful HM slave.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom