• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What pokemon do you use as HM Slaves?

Watchog is my main slave now in Black, but Surf never made me feel like it was a wasted move, so my Samurott has that in its moveset for good.

oh man just went through gen 4 & gen 5 (too lazy to dig out gen 3) here goes my HM (& pseudo HM) slaves...

diamond
skarmory: fly / cut / rock smash / defog
bibarel: surf / rock climb / waterfall / strength

pearl
dragonite: fly / surf / cut / defog
poliwrath: waterfall / rock climb / strength / rock smash (ability: damp)
ambipom: fake out / dig / fire punch / thief (ability: pickup)
pachirisu: thunderbolt / grass knot / toxic / flash (ability: pickup)

platinum
charizard: fly / cut / rock smash / defog
swampert: surf / rock climb / waterfall / strength
meowth: pay day / dig / thief / flash (ability: pickup)

heartgold
dragonite: fly / surf / strength / cut
poliwrath: waterfall / rock climb / rock smash / whirlpool (ability: damp)
claydol: dig / headbutt / flash / teleport

soulsilver
dragonite: fly / surf / strength / cut
poliwrath: waterfall / rock climb / rock smash / whirlpool (ability: damp)
persian: pay day / dig / thief / flash
smeargle: headbutt / sweet scent / softboiled / teleport

black
dragonite: fly / dragon pulse / surf / cut
golduck: waterfall / dive / strength / shadow claw (ability: damp)
claydol: dig / rock slide / toxic / flash

white
dragonite: dragon rush / fly / waterfall / cut
quagsire: earthquake / surf / dive / strength (ability: damp)
persian: pay day / dig / thief / flash

Good combo for HGSS is:

Gyarados - Strength | Waterfall | Surf | Whirlpool
Skarmory - Fly | Rock Smash | Flash | Cut

Tropius is very versatile HM Slave. I usually use him backed up by a Gyarados, Wailord or something similar. Between those, I can get all the utility moves I need on two Pokémon. Don't remember, but I'm pretty sure that I rotated my sixth member on Gold depending on where I was traveling.

My platinum steelix has four HM moves. I take it with me to stark mountain :)

Good ol' Zigzagoon in Emerald who could learn all the HM's except Fly. I felt bad for abusing him too because I liked his evolved form a lot. That was the last game I ever used an HM slave. I just teach it to whoever is in my team at the moment and get rid of the move later. That is unless the move is strong such as surf or fly.

I just teach it to whoever is in my team at the moment and get rid of the move later. That is unless the move is strong such as surf or fly.

Thats exactly what I do. But I tend to keep the moves fly, surf and strength because they are actually pretty good moves. Strength is underrrated its better then slam, and I think headbutt.

If I need a lamer move like whirlpool or cut, I use an HM slave. For moves like dive or waterfall, I use a random water pokemon, HM slave wise Furret, or zigzagoon make decent choices.

I used a number of pokemon for HM slaves. I mostly used Axew as an HM slave for Cut and Strength. As for the others they weren't really HM slaves because the they only had one HM move, which was common to their movepool anyway like Carracosta Waterfall and Lapras Surf.

Gen 1:
No need for HM slaves, it's not like anyone learn 4 usable moves anyway in gen 1 >_>

Gen 2:
A lot of randoms, an Abra for Flash, some Water-type for Whirlpool and something for Cut

Gen 3:
Zigzagoon in RS and Gyarados in FR

Gen 4:
Bibarel in DPPt Gyarados and Xatu (needed something whit Fly and Flash to catch Lugia) in SS

Gen 5:
What do you need one for?

@Battaman: I still have HM slaves, because the six HMs that are still there are still used in Gen V

I don't use HM slaves. I just spread the moves around my team. It's tedious sometimes, wasting a perfectly good move slot, but to me wasting a slot or two in my party is much worse. Stupid, I know, but besides, in BW you don't really need HM moves to get by.

I use Bibarel as an HM Slave. Why? It can learn Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Surf. And I even nicknamed him "SLAVE"

Well lets see.

Gen 1.Ratatta
Gen 2.Paras
Gen 3.R/S/E Zigzagoon FR/LG Paras
Gen 4.D/P/P Bidoof/Bibaral HG/SS Paras
Gen 5.B/W Patrat

I usually use legendaries, I get a kind of twisted satisfaction from seeing them reduced to performing such menial tasks for my benefit.

I normally use something I can catch early on and I also usually use two, one for flying and one for whatever else I need.

The only time I used a legendary was in my Emerald version, where I used my Raquaza for flying.

my sister made one of my arceus into a HM slave i raged :mad:

Ouch, that sucks, especially since it had those non-standard moves (Roar of Time and Spacial Rend).

I usually use legendaries, I get a kind of twisted satisfaction from seeing them reduced to performing such menial tasks for my benefit.

I admit, I lol'd hard at this.

I normally use something I can catch early on and I also usually use two, one for flying and one for whatever else I need.

The only time I used a legendary was in my Emerald version, where I used my Raquaza for flying.

I agree here... I don't have a fly slave because I can just use Rayquaza.

In BW, I use the Panpour, Drilbur, and Pidove for all my HM needs.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom