• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: What Pokemon do you want to use in stories, but never do?

jasonwolf

Semper Vigilus
Reaction score
This is a bit of a random thought spurred on by, of all things, my desktop background. So I have a nice picture of Spheal wearing sunglasses and the text "Spheal with it." Which reminds me I absolutely adore this pokemon. It's got a balance of being adorable and being interesting and when it evolves it gets even more awesome. Yet I never could find a good excuse for a character to own one. Every story I've written is in a place that Spheal makes no sense. All but one story I've written are set inland, and the one that isn't is in Alola where Spheal doesn't fit in all too well. Technically yes Spheal shows up with the island scanner, but so do Johto starters so I call that non-canon.

This happens for a lot of pokemon that could be there too. I love snorlax, a big bear pokemon that'd be 100% normal in any of the settings I've written (save alola). I mean Golett is one of my top 10 pokemon, and I've still never written it into a story because it has such a strange habitat.

i'd love to use lots of different phrases and allegories starring pokemon from all gens, but i chose to write from the perspective of a kantoan with relatively large gaps in pokemon knowledge, so i'm restricted to mostly gens one and two. which gets tricky at the parts where neither gen has a fitting pokemon, but a perfect one would be included in the others.

i of course also want to use arcanine the floofer woofer, but there isn't any in my source material and i haven't had reason to insert one yet.

It is logical. Because what pokemons my character in my fanfic liked is not necessarily equivalent to the pokemons I personally liked.

Despite my fanfic is full of original characters, I separate my fanfic characters from myself, to be fair they may all contain something which I can related to, but none of them is my self-insert. I'm writing a story about these characters, not a story about my favorite pokemons. Hence I wouldn't stress about my favorite pokemon not appearing, despite this story was created by me.

You can see my avatar, I iconized myself as Suicune, it is one of my favorite pokemon. Yet, it didn't appear anywhere in my current projects, and I didn't planned to insert it anywhere in the plot, nor I think there will be any chance for it to appear. (Well, in fact it was used as a main character in my very virgin work, but that work had long been abandoned)

On the other hand, I grew to love the pokemons used by my characters despite they were formerly not on my personal favorite pokemon list. Gallade, Metagross, the Shinx line, Riolu (bar Lucario), Hydreigon, Tropius, Dusknoir, etc. Before I started my current projects I don't give a damn about these species, I planned to have my characters hold / eventually will obtain these pokemons simply because I think it fits their personality and characteristics. But when I had created a solid unique character profile of those individual pokemons that is to be used in my story, I grew to appreciate the species as well. Though, still, for many times I doubted my appreciation is directed towards those individual pokemon characters rather than the species itself. But whatever.

I've always wanted to use Aerodactyl, and even planned to introduce one in Storm Island before I cancelled it. The idea was that the main characters would buy an "ancient ornamental stone" as a gift for someone back home from a mysterious trader in a stereotypical Asian marketplace, only for it to hatch several chapters later into a creature that's supposed to be extinct.

Outside of that, I can't think of any that I've been desperate to use but haven't been able to. I feel like I've covered all of my favorites despite loathing to actually include Pokemon in my writing.

In my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon stories, I've wanted to use a Chatot as a character, although not like how Explorers of Sky does it; we don't need another rewrite of the best PMD games. I used a Chatot in an old role play, but that shouldn't really count given my new writing style. Hopefully, some day, I can incorporate my favorite bird Pokemon into a story.

I'd love to be able to use many water-bound Pokémon like Carvanha and particularly Horsea, but I don't really want to go the whole "these Pokémon inexplicably float in the air" direction with this. At the same time though, I don't know if I could pull off a story that takes place entirely underwater either.

It's a shame, I do like Kingdra quite a bit.

I'd love to be able to use many water-bound Pokémon like Carvanha and particularly Horsea, but I don't really want to go the whole "these Pokémon inexplicably float in the air" direction with this. At the same time though, I don't know if I could pull off a story that takes place entirely underwater either.

It's a shame, I do like Kingdra quite a bit.
Easy, they telekinetically maintain a small orb of water around them at all times which they are able to 'swim' through by moving it around in the air. Okay, maybe not easy and probably out of the power range of most water-dwelling Pokemon, but I'm sure that rule could be bent with some sort of explanation for it.

I think I had some idea about a psychic-type putting a force field full of water around their water-type teammate. I also had ideas about accommodations for living with water-types besides the basic aquarium but I haven't really thought through them. At any rate, there's definitely ways to do it!

This reminds me of Ever Oasis, where Esna the glorified mermaid communicates with you through a sphere of water carried by a scarab beetle, who is apparently named after the Egyptian god of rebirth.

Easy, they telekinetically maintain a small orb of water around them at all times which they are able to 'swim' through by moving it around in the air. Okay, maybe not easy and probably out of the power range of most water-dwelling Pokemon, but I'm sure that rule could be bent with some sort of explanation for it.

Could always do what they did in Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea and have a psychic type do it.

DEERLING. Definitely Deerling! God I love that Pokemon sooooo much...but I've never been able to make it into a main character for some reason. Thankfully, I plan on writing a future Pokemon fan fic that'll rectify that! I just need to finish a few more first.

DEERLING. Definitely Deerling! God I love that Pokemon sooooo much...but I've never been able to make it into a main character for some reason. Thankfully, I plan on writing a future Pokemon fan fic that'll rectify that! I just need to finish a few more first.

Oh, the woes of having too many ideas for Pokemon fanfics and/or working on many fanfics at once...

I base Pokémon appearances not on my own preference but on the likings of the characters and the Pokémon that appear in the area according to the games. Then again, many Pokémon are perfectly capable of travelling large distances that could cause them to appear in regions far away from their habitat and for sure more than one breeder, trainer, gym leader, ect. travels the world and collects various Pokémon that he/she can bring along to a region that is not native to these species. Shiny, mythical and legendary Pokémon never appear unless the story demands their presence.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom