• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokémon Type Are You? (Based on Music Tastes!)

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
I saw this in another community, and thought I might share. (it includes some fictional Pokemon types, don't know what to think of that, but oh well)

I0BV7pWg.png

I haven't even heard of most of these genres! :lapras:

As for me, Dragon is definitely my primary type, as I regularly listen to and love pretty much every genre of it. The secondary type is where it gets iffy for me. It's either Grass, Normal or Flying.

My primary type is Fairy, and my secondary type would either be Grass, Fire, Normal, Bug, Flying, or Ground. I'd probably be mainly Fairy/Ground though since, aside from constantly listening to K/J-Pop, I've been listening to my favorite country and blues artists and songs again. (also some of these I haven't even heard of either; what the heck is a shoegaze genre?)

Ooooh I love this thread.

The problem is that my music tastes are all over the place. I can like songs from any genre so long as they vibe right with me.

I'd most likely be Ice/Normal, or maybe Flying/Bug, or maybe Dragon/Psychic. It all depends on my mood.

This is neat. I would say I'm Fighting-type! I'm a huge fan of pretty much everything under Fighting, and it's what I'm almost always listening to, so it would definitely be my primary type.

I'm not sure if I would have a secondary type, since I'm too conflicted to decide on just one. Some that I strongly considered though were Electric, Rock, Poison, and Bug. I really like one or two of the genres listed under each of those (pop punk, grunge, D&B, techno, breakbeat), but the others just aren't really my thing. If I had to pick one though, it would probably be Bug.

Though, I also found that there were a few things that I was surprised weren't listed anywhere on here... like, where's the love for power metal, or UK/happy hardcore?! :cry:

iu

I'm Water/Fairy! Psychic as a secondary type would also fit but I don't deny my longrunning addiction of anisongs and recently of some K-pop songs as well :wynaut:

I'm definitely primarily ground, probably pure ground.
If I had to pick a second type it could maybe be grass as I do like some folk but also what's chamber music, isn't folk just one genre, and wouldn't a singer-songwriter just be any singer who writes their own songs (or even any songs?) I don't see why that's listed as a genre.

Last edited:
I'm definitely primarily ground, probably pure ground.
If I had to pick a second type it could maybe be grass as I do like some folk but also what's chamber music, isn't folk just one genre, and wouldn't a singer-songwriter just be any singer who writes their own songs (or even any songs?) I don't see why that's listed as a genre.

I assume that "chamber music" has to refer to classical music pieces for small ensembles, like quartets or quintets. I don't know if there's some non-classical music context, I certainly have never heard of it.

With that said, chamber music is certainly an interesting choice to pair with the other genres. In fact, I don't really know why it'd be separated from classical music to begin with. I'm pretty sure more meaningful classical music genre distinctions could have been made. In fact, I think it would have been neat if they had put "Early Music" instead. It would have fit pretty well with folk and world music, I think.

I honestly have no clue what "singer-songwriter" even means. But, hey, I don't know what half of the genres in the image mean. Lol. Like "Breaks", "No Wave", "Shoegaze", "Slowcore" (do we have to add "core" onto everything nowadays? Bizarre trend), "Darkwave", "Ethereal Wave", "Twee", and pretty much literally ever genre listed under "Glitch".

Even still, of the genres I know, a lot of them blend together for me... but I'm pretty opinionated. I don't care for anything too electronic, so I just kind of lump it all as "Techno" and move on.

I assume that "chamber music" has to refer to classical music pieces for small ensembles, like quartets or quintets. I don't know if there's some non-classical music context, I certainly have never heard of it.

With that said, chamber music is certainly an interesting choice to pair with the other genres. In fact, I don't really know why it'd be separated from classical music to begin with. I'm pretty sure more meaningful classical music genre distinctions could have been made. In fact, I think it would have been neat if they had put "Early Music" instead. It would have fit pretty well with folk and world music, I think.

I honestly have no clue what "singer-songwriter" even means. But, hey, I don't know what half of the genres in the image mean. Lol. Like "Breaks", "No Wave", "Shoegaze", "Slowcore" (do we have to add "core" onto everything nowadays? Bizarre trend), "Darkwave", "Ethereal Wave", "Twee", and pretty much literally ever genre listed under "Glitch".

Even still, of the genres I know, a lot of them blend together for me... but I'm pretty opinionated. I don't care for anything too electronic, so I just kind of lump it all as "Techno" and move on.
Oh, huh, I can see how that makes sense. I'm not all that familiar with classical music, but from what I do know, I agree that it feels a bit off with folk. Can't speak for Early Music being a better fit though. I doubt the person who made this is particularly familiar with classical, either, based on the fact that there are very few subgenres of it listed compared to pop and rock (note that my count for these latter two is based only on genres that directly containing rock or pop in their names).

For adding "core" (and "wave" it seems like) to a ton of genre names, it kinda reminds me of adding punk to a large portion of sci-fi subgenres, which leads me to assume that most if not all "core" genres are probably subgenres of the same thing ("wave" genres I assume are also all under the same main genre, but I'm not sure if I want to assume it's the same one as "core"). If I had to guess for "core", I'd assume rock.

I do agree that a lot of these genres seem strange to include at all. I also feel like there's probably a fair amount of redundancy- shoegaze I looked up and is described by Wikipedia as being characterized as an "ethereal mixture of obscured vocals, guitar distortion and effects, feedback, and overwhelming volume"... which. Barring maybe "overwhelming volume", is probably what I'd expect Ethereal Wave to be, based on the name.

Can't speak for Early Music being a better fit though.

British Folk artists of the folk revival scene liked to mix in some medieval/Renaissance traits into their music every once in a while. Sometimes just instruments. But sometimes more, like this one, which is based strongly off of a medieval French piece by Guillaume de Machaut of the same name:

So, I do think that Early Music fits very well with Folk.

But I didn't make this topic to critique it and I'm steering this too far off now. >.<

146GMS8.png
198MS6.png
630MS8.png
717MS8.png

Dark/Flying... Yeah that makes sense. As it happens, I love all of those Pokémon, too.

My absolute favorite artist has nearly run the gamut of Dark-type genres (I don't know what No Wave is though), and I listen to a lot of jazz as well.

My movepool includes a lot of Fire (Hip-Hop), Bug (Game, some Techno), Electric (Pop-Punk), and Ice (Synthpop - this was the closest to overtaking Flying/Jazz) -type moves, along with a couple of Poison (Dubstep), Rock (Heavy Metal, some Grunge), and Ground (Blues) -type moves. I would be captured by Team Snagem and turned into a Shadow Pokémon at some point (Industrial / Neofolk / Drone), but purifying me would cause a glitch that breaks your game! (Noise)

There's some other stuff I like that I don't think falls so neatly into the categories provided, but the above is the gist of my interests.

Last edited:
Grass/Dragon, apparently. I like songs with ethnic and classical influences the most. Rock (genre, not the type) is more hit or miss though; I really love some from specific artists, but don't care about the others. Then again, why is classical lumped together with rock in the first place, anyway? I know analytical comparisons of the two genres have been made, but there are parts of this chart that make me unsure if such comparison was intended.

Flying is a runner up with jazz and big band. I'd also tap into other genres if it has hints of my favorites – one of my favorite musicians got a combination of ethnic, jazz, DnB, and electronica in his discography. Also I listen to J-Pop and game music a lot, but I feel those are way too broad as umbrella. (No, Spotify, I won't listen to cutesy pop idols just because I listen to Yuki Kajiura and Sound Horizon.)

Then again, why is classical lumped together with rock in the first place, anyway?

One of the Rock genres paired with Classical in this case is Progressive Rock, and that kinda makes sense, because Progressive Rock artists/bands (especially Symphonic Prog) were influenced by classical music directly and tried to bring that complexity to rock music.

Still, whoever made this didn't really understand Classical. There are many different types of Classical - Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classic, Romanticism, Impressionism, Contemporary, etc. Those are just the most basic outline of eras, there are plenty of others, especially later in time.

The individual who made this, listed like a billion different pop genres, but only two classical (assuming chamber music is a classical genre to them... a strange choice, but you know). It is very strange, to list all of these obscure pop genres but lump classical altogether like that. I suppose they just assumed not enough people like classical music. =/

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom