• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What Pokemon will you be using in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl?

i want my team to be this:

torterra
staraptor
luxray
gardevoir
floatzel
togekiss

I am not quite decided on my team yet (but there's awhile till the game comes out so I have time to think) I have up to 2 major decisions to make: Do I want to only use Pokemon introduced in Gen 4, and do I choose Piplup or Chimchar? When new gens come out, I like to try and only use Pokemon who were originally discovered in that region. I think I might have also done this when the Gen 3 remakes came out, so I wonder if I should do this again. It can be kind of limiting sometimes, but at least if I decide to do this it basically forces me to choose Chimchar because I hate the only other new fire type (Magmortar), and after not using a fire-type in SwSh, I really don't want to do that again.

If I decide to expand my options and use any Pokemon in the dex, then I have to decide between Piplup and Chimchar, which is hard for me. Piplup is probably my favorite between the two, but I also really like Buizel and would like to use one for the remake. Chimchar is a solid choice, but I want to choose a starter I really love.

Here's my options for the rest of my team so far
  • Infernape/Empoleon
  • Luxray
  • Garchomp
  • Floatzel (if I use Internape)/Houndoom (if I use more than Gen 4 Pokemon and choose Piplup)
  • Froslass/Glaceon
  • Leafeon (if I use Froslass)/Roserade (if I use Glaceon)

Assuming we get the Platinum Dex...

Torterra/Empoleon (I usually pick the Fire-type, so let's shake things up a little)
Medicham (I've wanted to use it for an initial playthrough, but the opportunity hasn't been there for a few games)
Pachirisu (why not?)
Mismagius/Dusclops (depending on version)
Skuntank/Purugly (depending on version)
TBD

Given my history, though, my actual team will probably look nothing like this.

I have my BD team mostly figured out:

Infernape, Luxray, Floatzel, Leafeon/Togekiss, Lucario, Garchomp.

Aside from Leafeon/Togekiss, this is pretty much how my original team in Diamond looked like. I still like Staraptor, but I wanted to try raising either a Leafeon or Togekiss again instead. I'm just torn on which one to choose from. I was originally going for Leafeon in a Diamond remake after I really enjoyed raising one in Ultra Sun, but I could also save it for my Legends team instead. These are some of my favorite fourth generation Pokemon, so I wanted to have them in my BD team at least.

I'm a bit less sure on my SP team:

Torterra, Togekiss/Honchkrow, Lucario, Gastrodon, Magmortar, Hippowdon

A lot of this does depend on if we're getting the Platinum Pokedex, so I'll have to keep that in mind if they're just keeping the regular D/P Pokedex instead. I originally chose Piplup as my starter in Pearl, but I chose Turtwig in Platinum and I remember really enjoying it. It was really useful in battle, easily the best Grass starter I had chosen up to that point and it's still one of my favorites. I could still potentially change my mind since I like Piplup, but I really want to raise another Turtwig and I can potentially catch a Piplup for Legends instead. I don't have a clear memory of my original Pearl team like I do with my Diamond team, so I'm kind of going off by some of my Platinum team here instead, as experimenting with some new Pokemon like Hippowdon. Stuntank and Drapion are also possibility, especially when I wanted to raise a Stunky in Diamond. I might try raising a Gallade as well since I've only raised Gardevoir before, but I'm not sure if I'll have it here or for Legends instead.

I'm not really worried about HMs. While I guess it isn't impossible, I'd be shocked if they kept HMs after they've found other ways around them in multiple games, including Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee which were effectively Yellow remakes. My teams could still change around quite a bit before the games come out regardless, but these are the general plans I have for both teams at the moment.

I'll skip these games just like ORAS, but I used Empoleon, Luxray, Lucario, Staraptor, Mismagius and Carnivine in Diamond, and Infernape, Roserade, Gallade, Rotom, Octillery and Absol in Platinum.

Not currently planning on buying either game, however, I did have a couple Pokémon picked out for hypothetical remakes before the February Direct. If I were to get one of the games, these Pokémon would probably make it onto at least one of my teams: Mothim, Garchomp, Floatzel, Abomasnow, Purgugly, Chimecho, Toxicroak, Gastrodon East Sea, Bronzong, Spiritomb, and Lumineon. Mothim, Garchomp, and Floatzel would most likely be on my first team as I've been wanting to use them for the longest time.

Last edited:
It depends on whether or not the games will have the Platinum Pokedex, since I played Platinum instead of the original Diamond and Pearl. If so, I think I'd like to replicate my original team:
  • Torterra
  • Luxray
  • Staraptor
  • Floatzel
  • Glaceon
  • Lucario
If they're using the original DP Pokedex... honestly, I can still replicate my original team almost exactly bar Glaceon, so if Glaceon isn't available I think I might try using a Purugly/Skuntank (depending on which version I pick) or Weavile.

Shinx and Starly obviously because what else?
No seriously, there's not much to choose from in the original DP dex.
If they DO use the Platinum dex, which I am not really expecting, I want to use pokemon I haven't used before. Elective, Magmortar, one of the fossils, maybe Toxicroak or Drapion...
Otherwise I'll give myself a challenge by using a team of Bidoof, Pachirisu, Burmy, Stunky/Glameow, Ponyta and Buizel XD

I'm really not sure. On one hand I want to make a new team I've never played with something like
Pachirisu
Floatzal
Drifblim
Etc

But I also want to use my old favorites
Lucario
Luxary (even bred a shiny shinx for this)
Staraptor

And also I want to use all the sinnoh starters lol. Normally my teams are random based on how I'm feeling when I encounter a pokemon

There are some pretty homogenized team plans here; Lucario, Luxray, and Staraptor are everywhere...
Okay... I think I have a basic idea on how I wanna set up my team...
Torterra... for sure.
Ghost type (Misdreavus/Mismagius, Drifblim, Froslass, or Dusclops)
Bug type (Yanmega or Vespiquen)
Water type (Mantine, or Octillery)
Normal type (Porygon-Z or Snorlax)
Pending (Probably a Flying type if Drifblim doesn't snag a spot)

I know the synergy here is uh... less than optimal, but I'm trying to pull a Karen (Johto Elite Four Karen, specifically) here and go with the mindset that I want to use Pokemon I generally like.

Sinnoh is my absolute favorite region!
I think I will use Luxray, Crobat, Drifblim, Scizor, Togekiss, Leafeon.

Would love to use Shaymin if I got the chance :D

I'm going with a balanced team this time
Infernape: Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Solarbeam, and Close combat/Focus Blast
Staraptor: Brave Bird, Fly, Close Combat, Quick Attack/Return
Luxray/Raichu: Thunder Fang, Throat Chop/Crunch, Iron Tail, and Light Screen/Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Electro Ball, and Light Screen
Floatzel: Rain Dance, Surf, Waterfall, and Ice Beam
Garchomp: Dragon Claw/Dragon Rush/Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break, and Stone Edge/Sword Dance
Glaceon/Froslass: Hail, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, and Freezy-Dry/Hail, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, and Double Team.

That'll depend on what Pokemon they display in the main game. I'll probably do something different with my team this time around. It'll probably consist of: Empoleon, Cherrim, Lopunny, Pachirisu, Rapidash, and Togekiss. But again, it'll depend on what Pokemon are made available.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom