• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What Pokemon will you be using in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl?

Beyond Torterra, I have no stable plans yet. It's much too early for me to plot out how I'd like my party to look. Especially after Sword and Shield shattered precedent forever by outright deleting many species of Pokémon; something I will have to bear in mind when going forward.

It's funny because I still haven't really decided on my main team which will be in Shining Pearl, but I think I know what I'll use for Brilliant Diamond team since, as much as I stan Pearl, Diamond got a lot of version exclusives that I like.

I totally want to use Rampardos since it's one of my favorite fossils. I also would love to use Honchcrow and Skuntank. As much as I try to avoid type repeats, I don't mind having two dark types. I really like Hippowdon and have wanted to use one for a while. And if I do use it, I might pick Piplup just so I don't have more repeated types. That said, I kind of would prefer to pick Turtwig since I think Infernape fits Barry more than Torterra. And since I'd likely play as Lucas in this game, Dawn would get Empoleon, which I think fits her best.

So Torterra, Rampardos, Honchcrow, Skuntank, and Hippowdon are likely set. As for the sixth....idk, maybe I'll decide that when I actually play the game.

I’ve already settled on Turtwig and Manaphy, and now I’m also thinking of using Chatot. Always liked it, never tried it - plus it’s so rarely even been available in games after DP.

389MS6.png
441MS6.png
490MS6.png

So that’s half of a team plan. I think I’ll probably wait until release(/leak) to determine the rest, since I’m curious about what all the Hideaways will have to offer and whether or not Mega Evolution will be included.

Last edited:
Assuming the full Platinum Dex is available (which I think is all but confirmed at this point):

-Torterra
-Togekiss
-Magnezone
-Gallade
-Vaporeon
-Absol

With Staraptor & Bibarel as my two main HM slaves, if HMs return for some reason.

I’m considering Noctowl. I’ve been obsessed with owls lately, and it’s Special Attack buff makes it a viable main game option.

I'm torn on whether or not I want to go through the strict teambuilding process for these games. I'm currently replaying through Y and having fun just using whatever Pokemon I really want to whenever I see them, and although I have a core group of about ten that I want to rotate in and out, I'm enjoying the freedom that I'm giving myself in being able to use whatever I want, really.

I think in this playthrough I definitely want to use a Gen-IV Eeveelution (I like Leafeon better but I'm planning on using Turtwig, so we'll see), and I also know I want to use one of the evolutions with trade items, you know the ones. I'm thinking maybe Electrivire (sp). The rest are up for grabs.

I do plan on playing Platinum at some point soon after playing through BDSP to compare the two, so I think I'm going to build a more coherent and strict team for that game instead.

Piplup, Glaceon, Togekiss, Buneary, Shinx, Rapidash. I will also alternate with Cherrim and maybe Leafeon and Drifloon. Yes I choose my team based on cuteness.

Now that we know more about the available Mons (especially since the Pokemon Hideaways expand the numbers greatly) I may have finally ironed out my party: Infernape, Staraptor, Gastrodon, Garchomp, Magnezone, and Glalie/Froslass (depending on what tickles my fancy at the time). This may still be subject to change depending on certain factors like when a Mon is accessible but, for the most part, this is what I've decided.

i don't typically like to plan out teams beforehand (other than my starter), because with every pokemon game im VERY fickle with who goes on my team and just because i may post something here doesn't mean i'll stick to it by any means whatsoever. i kinda go with the flow and catch whoever i feel like should be on my team on a whim, it's fun to me that way. c:

I don't have a concrete team yet, some of the Pokemon I want to use are late game or platinum content, but for now my team is:

20210604155730%21Spr_4p_389.png
Spr_4p_416.png
Spr_4d_479.png
20210626101200%21Spr_4d_196.png
20210604155451%21Spr_4p_229_m.png
20210622134151%21Spr_4d_036.png

I really hope they keep the gift Eevee or I wont have Espeon, if they don't, then I'll try out Manaphy. Clefable's pretty late on so I may use Bastiodon beforehand.

You know, since it's being put out for distribution right when the game is released, this'd be a really unique opportunity for me to give Manaphy a try.

I'm 100% with you there, I love it when certain events give us an opportunity to use a Pokemon you usually don't get to use during any early game. Even things as simple as the shiny Beldum in ORAS, it was nice to be able to use Beldum in it's native region through the main game for once.

Piplup, Glaceon, Togekiss, Buneary, Shinx, Rapidash. I will also alternate with Cherrim and maybe Leafeon and Drifloon. Yes I choose my team based on cuteness.

I've been thinking about keeping my Turtwig unevolved. I tried this in Pearl and it didn't go very well, but if the difficulty has been lowered I might be able to pull it off this time.

I'll definitely go with the Luxray line again. Usually I focus on dual types but I'll make an exception on this one. However, I'm not sure about the rest yet. If I find some spare time within the next days I'll scroll through the Sinnoh Dex looking for ideas. But keeping the new underground areas in mind I won't be able to make a definitive decision anyway.

Edited a spelling mistake

With the EXP Share being permanently on, I'll probably rotate team members as I've done more in recent times with the EXP Share being a permanent mechanic, so instead of having my one team I planned, which I now call team A, I also have a team B which is members I'll rotate in.

Team A:

-Empoleon
-Pachirisu
-Manaphy
-Garchomp
-Lucario
-Glaceon

This was my originally planned team except there was no Manaphy because we didn't have the egg announced yet, so I had Weavile in Manaphy's spot, so Weavile is becoming the lead member of Team B.

Team B:

-Weavile
-Raichu (Shiny), I've been planning to shiny hunt one of these in this game
-Gastrodon (East), I've never gotten to use a Gastrodon so I want to take this chance to be able to
-Magmortar, one of my favorite Sinnoh evolutions
-Leafeon?, might not include this one, just depends on if I feel like using a second Eeveelution, it is worth noting I have no Grass-types in my rotation so this wouldn't be a bad option, but I've also considered saving Leafeon for Legends: Arceus
-Dusclops?, this one is also not final, but an eviolite Dusclops would be fun to use.

If I decide to cut either of the two undecided slots, I'll probably go back to the trusty Final Gambit Staraptor. Some other short list picks are Roserade, Mismagius and Yanmega.

With the EXP Share being permanently on, I'll probably rotate team members as I've done more in recent times with the EXP Share being a permanent mechanic, so instead of having my one team I planned, which I now call team A, I also have a team B which is members I'll rotate in.

Team A:

-Empoleon
-Pachirisu
-Manaphy
-Garchomp
-Lucario
-Glaceon

This was my originally planned team except there was no Manaphy because we didn't have the egg announced yet, so I had Weavile in Manaphy's spot, so Weavile is becoming the lead member of Team B.

Team B:

-Weavile
-Raichu (Shiny), I've been planning to shiny hunt one of these in this game
-Gastrodon (East), I've never gotten to use a Gastrodon so I want to take this chance to be able to
-Magmortar, one of my favorite Sinnoh evolutions
-Leafeon?, might not include this one, just depends on if I feel like using a second Eeveelution, it is worth noting I have no Grass-types in my rotation so this wouldn't be a bad option, but I've also considered saving Leafeon for Legends: Arceus
-Dusclops?, this one is also not final, but an eviolite Dusclops would be fun to use.

If I decide to cut either of the two undecided slots, I'll probably go back to the trusty Final Gambit Staraptor. Some other short list picks are Roserade, Mismagius and Yanmega.
Man good that you mentioned Mismagius, will definitely add that to my team. I've always wanted to give him a shot, especially since I usually don't use ghost types (and if I do it's always Giratina)

Oooh, Mismagius, that's a good one. I've long wanted to use one in Sinnoh, but they weren't available in Platinum.

Seems like my team has been mostly solidified now:

Infernape
Ani392MS.png

Manaphy
Ani490MS.png

Bastiodon
Ani411MS.png

Gliscor
Ani472MS.png

Mismagius
Ani429MS.png

Wonder who'll end up filling out the last slot... :unsure: Abomasnow or Leafeon (my favorite Eeveelution, as it happens) would round things out nicely and provide some needed coverage, but ideally I think I'd like for it to be something from the Hideaways that isn't normally available in Sinnoh - however, we don't have all the details about what's going to be down there yet. Maybe I'll let it be a surprise.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom