• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon will you be using in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl?

You know, since it's being put out for distribution right when the game is released, this'd be a really unique opportunity for me to give Manaphy a try.

I'm 100% with you there, I love it when certain events give us an opportunity to use a Pokemon you usually don't get to use during any early game. Even things as simple as the shiny Beldum in ORAS, it was nice to be able to use Beldum in it's native region through the main game for once.

Piplup, Glaceon, Togekiss, Buneary, Shinx, Rapidash. I will also alternate with Cherrim and maybe Leafeon and Drifloon. Yes I choose my team based on cuteness.

I've been thinking about keeping my Turtwig unevolved. I tried this in Pearl and it didn't go very well, but if the difficulty has been lowered I might be able to pull it off this time.

I'll definitely go with the Luxray line again. Usually I focus on dual types but I'll make an exception on this one. However, I'm not sure about the rest yet. If I find some spare time within the next days I'll scroll through the Sinnoh Dex looking for ideas. But keeping the new underground areas in mind I won't be able to make a definitive decision anyway.

Edited a spelling mistake

I might give Rapidash a try since it has plenty of good physical moves. The question is if it'll retain those moves.

With the EXP Share being permanently on, I'll probably rotate team members as I've done more in recent times with the EXP Share being a permanent mechanic, so instead of having my one team I planned, which I now call team A, I also have a team B which is members I'll rotate in.

Team A:

-Empoleon
-Pachirisu
-Manaphy
-Garchomp
-Lucario
-Glaceon

This was my originally planned team except there was no Manaphy because we didn't have the egg announced yet, so I had Weavile in Manaphy's spot, so Weavile is becoming the lead member of Team B.

Team B:

-Weavile
-Raichu (Shiny), I've been planning to shiny hunt one of these in this game
-Gastrodon (East), I've never gotten to use a Gastrodon so I want to take this chance to be able to
-Magmortar, one of my favorite Sinnoh evolutions
-Leafeon?, might not include this one, just depends on if I feel like using a second Eeveelution, it is worth noting I have no Grass-types in my rotation so this wouldn't be a bad option, but I've also considered saving Leafeon for Legends: Arceus
-Dusclops?, this one is also not final, but an eviolite Dusclops would be fun to use.

If I decide to cut either of the two undecided slots, I'll probably go back to the trusty Final Gambit Staraptor. Some other short list picks are Roserade, Mismagius and Yanmega.

With the EXP Share being permanently on, I'll probably rotate team members as I've done more in recent times with the EXP Share being a permanent mechanic, so instead of having my one team I planned, which I now call team A, I also have a team B which is members I'll rotate in.

Team A:

-Empoleon
-Pachirisu
-Manaphy
-Garchomp
-Lucario
-Glaceon

This was my originally planned team except there was no Manaphy because we didn't have the egg announced yet, so I had Weavile in Manaphy's spot, so Weavile is becoming the lead member of Team B.

Team B:

-Weavile
-Raichu (Shiny), I've been planning to shiny hunt one of these in this game
-Gastrodon (East), I've never gotten to use a Gastrodon so I want to take this chance to be able to
-Magmortar, one of my favorite Sinnoh evolutions
-Leafeon?, might not include this one, just depends on if I feel like using a second Eeveelution, it is worth noting I have no Grass-types in my rotation so this wouldn't be a bad option, but I've also considered saving Leafeon for Legends: Arceus
-Dusclops?, this one is also not final, but an eviolite Dusclops would be fun to use.

If I decide to cut either of the two undecided slots, I'll probably go back to the trusty Final Gambit Staraptor. Some other short list picks are Roserade, Mismagius and Yanmega.
Man good that you mentioned Mismagius, will definitely add that to my team. I've always wanted to give him a shot, especially since I usually don't use ghost types (and if I do it's always Giratina)

Oooh, Mismagius, that's a good one. I've long wanted to use one in Sinnoh, but they weren't available in Platinum.

Seems like my team has been mostly solidified now:

Infernape
Ani392MS.png

Manaphy
Ani490MS.png

Bastiodon
Ani411MS.png

Gliscor
Ani472MS.png

Mismagius
Ani429MS.png

Wonder who'll end up filling out the last slot... :unsure: Abomasnow or Leafeon (my favorite Eeveelution, as it happens) would round things out nicely and provide some needed coverage, but ideally I think I'd like for it to be something from the Hideaways that isn't normally available in Sinnoh - however, we don't have all the details about what's going to be down there yet. Maybe I'll let it be a surprise.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that nearly nobody listed Dialga/Palkia for their team - is it unusual for people to use them? I always keep a free place (if possible) in my team so it won't be transferred to the pokemon center :D

I'd say it's a fairly common practice to forbid oneself from using Legendaries, in order avoid making them game feel too easy. Dialga and Palkia in particular happen to be really strong Legendaries, too (as opposed to something like Kantonian Articuno which, even though it's a Legendary, has a lot of weaknesses and a relatively limited movepool), so I think people who want more of a challenging experience will be as inclined as ever to box them.

I used to abide by that same self-imposed restriction, but the last few games have done things to make using Legendaries feel less taboo to me. As such, I did consider having Palkia on my upcoming Shining Pearl team, but speaking practically, I don't really need another Water type on top of Manaphy. But it's something I'll probably keep in mind for a future playthrough.

as opposed to something like Kantonian Articuno which, even though it's a Legendary, has a lot of weaknesses and a relatively limited movepool
Kantonian Articuno's only flying move at level 50 (in PMD, maybe more games since that's the only game I've used regular Articuno) is Gust. More of a pure Ice-type.
EDIT: Gust is its only DAMAGING Flying move (In Gen 8), it learns Tailwind at level 30 and Roost at 40. Doesn't get Hurricane until 55

Last edited:
I didn't even consider to choose Manphy/Phione, they count to the pokemon that I rather collect than actually use (same goes for the lake trio) and shaymin). But since Dialga/Palkia are the cover pokemon I tend to make use of them. Would feel weird to have access to proto groudon (using OR as a sample) but not using it.
However, I can see that it is useful to avoid them for a more challenging experience (especially with exp share always on).

I'm a little surprised that nearly nobody listed Dialga/Palkia for their team - is it unusual for people to use them? I always keep a free place (if possible) in my team so it won't be transferred to the pokemon center :D

I used Palkia in Pearl, Giratina in Platinum, and I think there's a pretty good chance that my Brilliant Diamond team will end up being this...

Turtwig/Torterra
Staraptor
Luxray
Floatzel
Lucario
Dialga

Before I catch Dialga, I might use the sixth slot to try out some Pokemon I haven't used before. I'd like to give Honchkrow and Skuntank a go as I didn't have access to them in Pearl or Platinum.

I like using mascot legendaries. In the context of the game's story, it makes sense that the protagonist would want to use the most powerful creature they have, especially one that played a significant role in their adventure.

I used Palkia in Pearl, Giratina in Platinum, and I think there's a pretty good chance that my Brilliant Diamond team will end up being this...

Turtwig/Torterra
Staraptor
Luxray
Floatzel
Lucario
Dialga

Before I catch Dialga, I might use the sixth slot to try out some Pokemon I haven't used before. I'd like to give Honchkrow and Skuntank a go as I didn't have access to them in Pearl or Platinum.

I like using mascot legendaries. In the context of the game's story, it makes sense that the protagonist would want to use the most powerful creature they have, especially one that played a significant role in their adventure.
I always liked Honchkrow and Skuntank (even though I've never used either, but maybe I'll give Skuntank a shot too, but Mamoswine will definitely be in my team in one of my copies. Also I thought about using Dusknoir for the ghost type in one of them.

My team for Shining Pearl is probably gonna be the following(Perenthesis hold nicknames)

Mismagius(Cult due to its entries stating that it chants spells)
Purugly(Mars as a nod to Mars' Purugly who as JaidenAnimations once said "She has a fat cat that hits like a semi-truck")
Vespiquen(Honey Combs as a nod to the literal beehive on the bottom of her dress)
Roserade(Chairman as a nod to Chairman "Rose" insert laugh track)
Quagsire(Lol as a nod to JaidenAnimations' quagsire [rip lol the quagsire, f u Jupiters' golbat])
Infernape(Monke because monke)

So far I have:
Empoleon
Luxray
Skuntank
Dusknoir
Dialga
Abomasnow
For BD

And Torterra
Mamoswine
Mismagius
Palkia
Lucario (maybe)
And a fire, psychic, bug or poison type (probably)
For SP

Edit: Just decided to stick with Lucario and add Drapion as the last member

Last edited:
Now that Exp share is permanent again and HMs have been integrated into the Poketch, I will definitely try to use those obscure and overlooked pokémon. I am using Burmy, Pachirisu, Glameow, Ponyta, Drifloon, Combee... maybe Buizel (though Floatzel is good) IDK what else, I just want to get out of the starter-Shinx-Starly box.

My team for Shining Pearl is probably gonna be the following(Perenthesis hold nicknames)

Mismagius(Cult due to its entries stating that it chants spells)
Purugly(Mars as a nod to Mars' Purugly who as JaidenAnimations once said "She has a fat cat that hits like a semi-truck")
Vespiquen(Honey Combs as a nod to the literal beehive on the bottom of her dress)
Roserade(Chairman as a nod to Chairman "Rose" insert laugh track)
Quagsire(Lol as a nod to JaidenAnimations' quagsire [rip lol the quagsire, f u Jupiters' golbat])
Infernape(Monke because monke)
I almost forgot to include the movesets for them so here they are:
Cult's moveset:
Ability Levitate
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam
Magical Leaf
Confuse Ray

Mars' moveset
Ability Thick Fat
Slash
Shadow Claw
Aerial Ace
Hypnosis

Honey Combs' moveset
Ability Pressure
Attack Order
Heal Order
Defend Order
Power Gem

Chairman's moveset
Ability Poison Point
Sludge Bomb
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Toxic

Lol's moveset
Ability Water Absorb
Aqua Tail
Rain Dance
Ice Beam
Amnesia

Monke's moveset
Ability Blaze
Flame Wheel
Fire Spin
Close Combat
Calm Mind

These are the movesets and abilities:D!

(Edit: Added abilities and changed a few moves)

Last edited:
Aside from Legendary Pokémon easily trivializing the game, there's also the dissonance that people may feel in catching and using them. A ten-year old child owning & controlling the gods of time and space, and other similar deities, can be off-putting, so some people avoid using them for that reason as well.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom