• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What Pokemon will you be using in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl?

Now that we’ve actually had the game for a few days, I’ve made surprisingly little progress in getting my team together but that’s mainly because of work. I have my planned Empoleon and Pachirisu but the rest of my party is the three mythical Pokémon (Mew, Jirachi, Manaphy) and a Grotle that I traded over from another profile but I only have it for Pokédex completion, I picked Piplup, my friend with Shining Pearl picked Chimchar, and on my spare profile I picked Turtwig and only played up to where I receive the Manaphy egg then traded that and the Turtwig over.

My next team member I need to hunt down might be an annoying one but I want to get my Spiritomb before I proceed towards Veilstone. After that, I won’t be getting any other teammates until I can access the Riolu egg and Gible. Then my final member will be a Weavile. I’ll begin phasing out the mythicals as I get more of my team together.

Alright, now I have my SP team set up:
Empoleon (Gloria, Female)
Pikachu (Hikaru, Female)
Togetic (Tokiko, Female, will evolve into Togekiss when I get a shiny stone)
Lopunny (Chocola, Female)
Cherrim (Sakura, Female)
Magmar (Dilandau, Male)

I said I wouldn't use Starly and Shinx but.... The game doesn't have too many good alternatives.
I tried to use Pachirisu and Bibarel but they're so bad. So I boxed them.
I've come to hate the grand underground so I don't want to go there. And the honey trees have only produced Wurmple.
So far my team is
Monferno
Staravia
Luxio
Cherubi
Buizel
Gastly
I'll try to find something more interesting to use. I already used Murkrow, Houndoom and Shellos in my recent Pt playthrough so IDK what else I could get without repeating. I'll keep trying to get a Burmy.

SharedScreenshot.jpg
Pikachu was an accident, Staravia is soon to evolve, Torterra is actually Groudon (but TREE), Azumarill is my HP sponge (who hits like a 5-ton truck), Houndoom is my Fire-type and Ghostbuster, and Jirachi is Terry (especially when it gets METEOR MASH).
Still a good team (Pichu egg)

Spr_4d_423.png
Spr_4d_454_f.png
Spr_4d_437.png
Spr_4d_442.png
Spr_4d_432.png
Spr_4d_468.png

I had been hoping to use Rotom and Porygon-Z since I have a newfound fondness for them (due to them being some of my bf's favourite Pokemon, orz) but they're both unobtainable until post-game unfortunately, so I'll be subjecting myself to the hell that is catching Spiritomb, instead.

A little bummed that Eevee also isn't obtainable until the NatDex is available, meaning I can't utilise literally my favourite Pokemon of all time (my poor baby Leafeon...), but I suppose it's all in the spirit of being as faithful to the originals as possible, so I can't be too disappointed. Until I get my hands on Spiritomb post-6th badge, I'll be making use of Mismagius, whose Destiny Bond has been ridiculously helpful so far. Overall pretty happy with this team composition, even though it's missing three of my intended members. ( ;__; )

Spr_4d_423.png
Spr_4d_454_f.png
Spr_4d_437.png
Spr_4d_442.png
Spr_4d_432.png
Spr_4d_468.png

I had been hoping to use Rotom and Porygon-Z since I have a newfound fondness for them (due to them being some of my bf's favourite Pokemon, orz) but they're both unobtainable until post-game unfortunately, so I'll be subjecting myself to the hell that is catching Spiritomb, instead.

A little bummed that Eevee also isn't obtainable until the NatDex is available, meaning I can't utilise literally my favourite Pokemon of all time (my poor baby Leafeon...), but I suppose it's all in the spirit of being as faithful to the originals as possible, so I can't be too disappointed. Until I get my hands on Spiritomb post-6th badge, I'll be making use of Mismagius, whose Destiny Bond has been ridiculously helpful so far. Overall pretty happy with this team composition, even though it's missing three of my intended members. ( ;__; )
I was able to stick with my planned team except for Dusknoir. Thought about using Spiritomb instead but that was too much of a hassle at that point so I used Drifblim.

Blaziken was GOING to be my Fire mon but of course, HOME isn't supported yet, and the Grand Underground is too much of a hassle to use to find the starters so I just went with a Houndoom from a Spacious Cave (Caught in a Quick Ball, the first time I tried it broke out of EVERYTHING I THREW AT IT. HOW DOES IT HAVE A CATCH RATE OF 45?!), which was a good play because I also needed something to beat Ghost (other than Bite on Torterra but he's weak to 2 of Fantina's Pokemon), so I aptly named him Ghostbuster

I am currently at the sixth gym. My team is:

Empoleon
Manaphy
Jirachi
Pinsir
Carnivine
Hippowdon male
Spiritomb

I am loving this team. It is busted, so I try not to over level, or use stats/ friendship enhancements, and I use the first Pokemon I catch/ get of each species, not minding abilities or natures. I am eager to challenge Cynthia with this team (I'll have to exclude Empoleon, sadly).

Last edited:
Well, I'm mid-playthrough but my hopes are:
  • Piplup ---> Emploron (In the Originals I went for Chimchar, but fancied a change of pace)
  • Starly ---> Staraptor
  • Shinx ---> Luxray
  • Riolu ---> Lucario
  • Gible ---> Garchomp
  • Either Eevee/Umbreon or Buneary/Lopbunny.
We shall see what happens.

Trying to build a team to beat the E4 at least once

I think i have a viable bonus strategies for part of my team after losing. I'm adding Swords Dance on Garchomp, i added Grass Knot on Jirachi instead of Flash Cannon since a lot of pokemon in the Elite 4 are weak to Grass including Quagsire were giving me trouble.
But as for using letting Gardevoir Shockwave instead if Thunderbolt to handle Flint's Drifblim since Shockwave counters Minimize but it is only 60 power?

Jirachi lvl 59 Timid Nature
Dazzling Gleam, Psychic, Grass Knot and Shadow Ball
HP 215 Attack 140 Defense 141 Sp. Attack 156 Sp Def 133 Speed 183

Infernape lvl 63 Naive Nature Item: Fist Plate (Blaze)

Flamethrower Close Combat, Flame Wheel and Mach Punch
HP 182 Attack 166 Defense 129 Sp. Attack 171 Sp Def 96 Speed 200

Gardevoir lvl 60 Bashful Nature (Synchronize)

Dazzling Gleam, Psychic Calm Mind, and Thunderbolt (Might replace thunderbolt with shockwave)
HP 172 Attack 99 Defense 102 Sp. Attack 166 Sp Def 146 Speed 117

Dialga lvl 50 Gentle Nature (Pressure) (Adamant Orb)

Ice Beam, Dragon Claw, Flash Cannon Roar of Time
HP 172 Attack 151 Defense 121 Sp. Attack 179 Sp Def 137 Speed 106

Lucario lvl 53 Impish Nature (Inner Focus)

Shadow Claw, Aura Sphere, Force Palm Swords Dance
HP 147 Attack 149 Defense 102 Sp. Attack 130 Sp Def 92 Speed 117

Garchomp lvl 48 Bold Nature (Sand Veil)

Earthquake, Swords Dance, Crunch Dragon Claw
HP 171 Attack 128 Defense 125 Sp. Attack 102 Sp Def 92 Speed 129

After delaying playing the game for one week due to me losing the switch charger. I decided to do a Mono Ground run

Torterra
Gliscor
Rypherior
Garchomp
Wormadam Ground
Gastrodon
Steelix
Hippowdon

Since you can change team members when you want, I will train 8 Pokémon and thanks to that I will not exceed levels.

I wanted to do a steel type but without beeing able to catch Nosepass and Shieldon it's impossible. I will wait when wondertrade opens.

So far my team is
Monferno, Floatzel, Mamoswine, Roselia, Spiritomb and Clefable.

I am thinking of changing the Clefable for a Togekiss but half my team would end up being the same as Cynthia lol. I mean I get why she was given those pokémon, they really are among the best DP had to offer. But since the shiny stone is in short supply again, I don't want to have to choose between Roserade and Togekiss when it comes down to it.
I'll also keep my Skuntank and Electivire around in case any Fairy, Water or Flying types give me trouble.

A friend who's into the post-game already managed to acquire a Rotom and Eevee for me, pretty much solving all of the problems from my previous post; still a little bummed about the lack of Porygon, but I've got my fingers crossed for one appearing in her Trophy Garden soon - who on Earth do I replace, though? This is what my team is looking like currently; I'm about to walk into the Sunyshore Gym as we speak.

Spr_4d_423.png
Spr_4d_454_f.png
Spr_4d_432.png
Spr_4d_468.png
Spr_5b_470.png
Spr_4d_479.png

Rotom has been indispensable so far; it's an absolute powerhouse, as I suppose is to be expected. Togekiss, Toxicroak, and Gastrodon have also been coming through for me, though I did mess up my Toxicroak's move-set by having it learn Sludge Bomb over Poison Jab... total yoghurt-brained move on my part. Purugly hasn't really had her time to shine yet, as she's been lagging behind the rest of my team in terms of levels due to me catching her late, and I've only just evolved Eevee into Leafeon, so we'll see how he fares against the 8th Gym Leader and the E4.

Their move-sets and etc. are as follows. . . (I'm paying no attention whatsoever to Natures when building my team atm)

Mudibranch (Gastrodon) ♡ Lv. 56 ♡ Storm Drain - Bold Nature, Female
— Brine, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Recover

Daria (Toxicroak) ♡ Lv. 57 ♡ Anticipation - Hasty Nature, Female
— Drain Punch, Rock Slide, Swords Dance, Toxic

Silky (Purugly) ♡ Lv. 52 ♡ Own Tempo - Hasty Nature, Female
— Aerial Ace, Iron Tail, Attract, Body Slam

Fandaniel (Togekiss) ♡ Lv. 58 ♡ Hustle - Quirky Nature, Male
— Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Dazzling Gleam, Psychic

Blade (Leafeon) ♡ Lv. 51 ♡ Leaf Guard - Lax Nature, Male
— Swords Dance, Sunny Day, Leaf Blade, Synthesis

Phasmo (Rotom) ♡ Lv. 62 ♡ Levitate - Lax Nature, Genderless
— Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Thunder Wave

GroudtreeRillaTerryGhostbusterGaryandChupi.jpg
The names are as follows:
Torterra-Groudtree (Groudon but Tree XD)
Azumarill-Rilla (Huge Power Adamant Nature AQUA RING for tank)
Jirachi-Terry (METEOR MASH)
Houndoom-Ghostbuster (Swept Fantina)
Gabite-Gary (Garchomp; also named after Gary the snail)
Raichu-Chupi (You know why; A good and bad mistake at the same time)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom