• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What Pokemon will you be using in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl?

EmpoleonProd

Empoleon Master Trainer
Reaction score
I guess it's that time, new remakes, new teams. What is everything thinking so far? I haven't thought much ahead besides knowing I'll start with Piplup. I was kinda banking on the Platinum Dex but there's no real indication if we're getting that or the base DP Dex.

I might wait a bit to see if they reuse DP's pokedex or include some of Platinum's dex. If they include more fire types like Houndour then I'll pick Piplup. If not I'll go with Chimchar. Love Ponyta but Infernape would be better. Either way will be getting Shinx and Starly like I always do because I love them.

Right out of the bat, my team will have Turtwig-to-Torterra, Misdreavus with Eviolite/Drifblim, Vespiquen... and the rest is pending.

...I'm going off of the rough implication that the D/P dex really will be retained.

For the possibility of the Platinum dex being used,...

Torterra, Misdreavus (Eviolite), Yanmega, Porygon-Z, Rotom(?)... ....Flareon...? ...maybe Gliscor?

yeah, maybe it's too early to plan such a thing, but eh.

Okay so I've thought about it some more, this is what I've got so far.

Empoleon from my starter Piplup

Pachirisu because Se Jun Park is cool and Pachirisu is cool.

The Lucario from the Riolu egg (boring I know).

Glaceon whenever I can get it (if we don't have the gift Eevee from Platinum, reeeeee)

Garchomp

Weavile IF I can get it before the post-game (again, Platinum reeeee)

Kinda bummed the games looked like 1:1 remakes of DP because I was banking on the better Pokemon availability from Platinum, staying hopeful that they were at least smart enough to implement that!

I might wait a bit to see if they reuse DP's pokedex or include some of Platinum's dex. If they include more fire types like Houndour then I'll pick Piplup. If not I'll go with Chimchar. Love Ponyta but Infernape would be better. Either way will be getting Shinx and Starly like I always do because I love them.
You can just use Pokémon home to get around the Fire type problem. I’ve already decided I’m using one of my shinies from go as my resident Fire type since I’m picking Turtwig.

Attachments

• 443ECAEA-B352-4F90-9DA4-F5CE4688CE98.png
    443ECAEA-B352-4F90-9DA4-F5CE4688CE98.png
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 103
You can just use Pokémon home to get around the Fire type problem. I’ve already decided I’m using one of my shinies from go as my resident Fire type since I’m picking Turtwig.

Well... that is if there is Pokemon Home availability. There might not be, taking the Art-style into consideration.

Well... that is if there is Pokemon Home availability. There might not be, taking the Art-style into consideration.
Let’s Go had home connectivity. Granted it was limited to Kanto only so I guess the same will apply to Pokemon that were available in Gen 4 in these games.

Probably this again:

Piplup
Drifblim
Mismagius
Staraptor
Roserade
???

Just like it was in most gen 4 playthroughs I've ever done.

??? is probably Drapion/Rampardos/Garchomp.

Well, my original plan was

Empoleon
Garchomp
Alolan Raichu
Mismagius
Glaceon
Roserade

If I can’t transfer in my Alolan Raichu, I’ll probably replace him with Luxray. And if HMs are back, I’ll probably cut Garchomp for an HM slave. Fingers crossed that’s not the case though. Hoping I can get an Ice Stone to evolve Glaceon before the end of the game.

Turtwig's always been my favorite of the three by a fair margin, so that's what I'm sticking with.

The question for me is really, which version to get? I don't need both. Mascot-wise, I prefer Palkia over Diaga, but Diamond has better exclusives in my opinion, and I assume those will remain about the same for these games.

Well, Piplup was my starter in Diamond so I'll likely go with Piplup again. Also I lost my original copy of Diamond and when I found it again it was no longer working.....so I kinda want to also use Roserade again. (even though usually with remakes I don't like reusing Pokemon outside of my starter)

Two pokemon I'm interested in using are Chatot and Spiritomb.

So....

Empoleon
Roserade
Chatot
Spiritomb

Not sure about the remaining two. Maybe Galarian Rapidash if it's a possibility. (Mamoswine and Gastrodon are two others that interest me, but then I'd have a lot of type overlap...)

Last edited:
My core team always consists of Empoleon, Staraptor, Roserade, and Luxray, haha. The remaining two spots cycle through various Pokémon. I wouldn't mind trying something new, but I also wouldn't mind previous candidates as well (Glaceon, Mamoswine, Ambipom).

Whoops, forgot about Gliscor! I would also want to try out a Gallade too, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
I hope they keep the new evolution methods for Glaceon and Leafeon and make the Ice Rock available a bit earlier. Then I could use Glaceon without waiting until almost the end of the game. If not I'll probably get Leafeon and Mamoswine for my ice type.

I could if I really want to and it's compatible enough with Home, but I generally prefer to use the mons I catch in the games so I probably wouldn't.

The company that develop those games are the one that made home, so i'm pretty sure there will be connectivity.

Based on the assumption that it'll use the Platinum dex, my team will probably look something like this.

Torterra (my first starter back in Diamond)
Staraptor (I've never actually used one on a team, outside of using it for Fly... shameful, I know)
Jolteon/Glaceon
Gallade
Magmortar/Porygon-Z
Gastrodon (Storm Drain will actually be good now!)

Hopefully we all won't have to reserve a seat for Bibarel either.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom