• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon would make for good starters?

DasManiac

The Charming Fool
Reaction score
Since all starters have been a three stage line I think Mareep, Flaafy, and Ampharos would make for good starters. Mareep isn't a super powerful Pokemon at the beginning of the game and is relatively easy to train thanks to the regional bird appearing early on. Another good one I think would be Seedot, Nuzleaf, and Shiftry. While Nuzleaf evolves via a leaf stone if it were a starter then it probably wouldn't. That said though requiring a leaf stone to evolve it into it's third stage would be really interesting. I think Lotad also would have made for a good starter. Ludicolo was always a favorite of mine. As for fire types, the only three stage line is the Magmar line. I think Magmar would have made for a good starter if Magmortar hadn't been so disappointing. Having a base speed stat lower than it's pre-evo is pretty sad. Still though it's shiny color is terrific. So what Pokemon do you guys think would have made or would make good starters?

I think Shinx/Luxio/Luxray would make good starters. I used one in Pokemon Platinum, and it was probably my strongest Pokemon apart from my actual starter. (In fact, my team is level 100 now, and that Luxray has higher attack than Giratina. :eek:)

I always thought the Ralts line was good for starters. Oddly enough, the Lillipup line was a great replacement for my starter in black.

I would make Mareep-Flaafy-Ampharos starters, maybe Pidgey-Pidgeotto-Pidgeot, or Machop, Machoke, Machamp and Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam.

Ralts is a good starter - Wally has one as his starter, so why not.

I've always wondered about that...the level he catches it at means it only has Growl. How did he level it up without other Pokemon?

Anyway, I've played some of the games before under the rule that I wasn't allowed to use the actual starter I used it to catch a few other Mons to start with and went from there. Turned out I was always pretty reliant on the early game flying types when lacking the starter. Early bugs too. I got pretty far into FireRed once relying on my Pidgeotto and Butterfree until I was able to evolve an Abra and a Magikarp.

Trapinch and Honedge, anyone?

And Starly, for heaven's sake.

I did think about Trapinch but it evolves as such a high level and isn't very useful until then. Other than having the ability Arena Trap, it's not much to write home about. Vibrava and Flygon however are great but the entire line should be Bug/Ground. Don't quite get how Vibrava and Flygon qualify as Dragons. Must've been a researches day off when it was classified. Starly however would make for a pretty good starter. It's difficult to level up at first because it's so much weaker than everything else but still once it does level up it becomes quite a beast.

I think most of the main flying types could work well- Pidgeys/Taillows etc. Lilipup could also work well.

Other posibilities would be the Mareep. Maybe the Dratini line but having a dragon so early on in the game would make things too easy...

Trapinch and Honedge, anyone?

And Starly, for heaven's sake.

I did think about Trapinch but it evolves as such a high level and isn't very useful until then. Other than having the ability Arena Trap, it's not much to write home about. Vibrava and Flygon however are great but the entire line should be Bug/Ground. Don't quite get how Vibrava and Flygon qualify as Dragons. Must've been a researches day off when it was classified. Starly however would make for a pretty good starter. It's difficult to level up at first because it's so much weaker than everything else but still once it does level up it becomes quite a beast.

Because they're based after a dragonfly. In that case, I've always thought they should be bug/dragon, however.

Shinx would be an interesting starter. Every time I played DPPt, it always felt like a starter to me and I kept using it as my 2nd main Pokemon to my starter.

How about Honedge, Ralts and Sandile as a starter trio.

If Honedge would evolve earlier and Doublade would evolve by level up they would complement each other very well. Especially since Ralts is a Fairy type now and Steel does not resist Dark anymore. None of these Pokémon has a 4x weakness to any of the others and they are all strong against one of the other two and weak to the other.
This balance stays intact even if Kirlia would evolve into Gallade (but I think that Dawn Stone should only be accessible post-league).

Shinx would be an interesting starter. Every time I played DPPt, it always felt like a starter to me and I kept using it as my 2nd main Pokemon to my starter.

I agree. When I first saw shinx, I thought it was even cuter than the other for pearl. When it finally evolved into Luxray, I was in awe of my beloved Electric type. It was so epic! It should definitely be a starter.

Golett, just because.

I always get one as early as possible and the little guy outclasses my starter within a couple of days. He can be quite the powerhouse in-game and one heckuva wall versus Fighters and Electric types.

(You guys pretty much knew I was going to say this, right?)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom