• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokémon Would You Give Gym Leaders

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Well, I believe one of the biggest failures of games is that Gym leaders unnecessarily don't have more useful and better promoting Pokémon and instead, they look like a simple trainers for time to time.

I'll start with Kanto leaders for Gen I and III games for now.

Brock
- Geodude (Signature Pokémon)
- Omanyte
- Aerodactyl

Misty
- Poliwhirl
- Vaporeon
- Wartortle (Signature Pokémon)

Lt. Surge
- Electabuzz
- Jolteon
- Raichu (Signature Pokémon)

Erika
- Ivysaur
- Vileplume
- Tangela
- Weepinbell or Victrebell (Signature Pokémon)

Koga
- Nidorina
- Nidorino
- Haunter
- Muk (Signature Pokémon)

Sabrina
- Slowbro
- Mr. Mime
- Jynx
- Kadabra or Alakazam (Signature Pokémon)

Blaine
- Arcanine
- Flareon
- Charizard
- Magmar (Signature Pokémon)

Giovanni
- Persian
- Nidoking
- Machamp
- Gengar
- Marowak
- Mewtwo (Signature Pokémon) (Mewtwo is uncatchable until the league is completed as far as I know so that would make sense to be usable by Giovanni during the gym battle)

Aerodactyl at the first gym would be ridiculous. Misty's Starmie at gym 2 could be a pain in the ass and Aerodactyl is both faster and stronger that that. Not to mention that Rock/Flying dominates everything up to that point in the game barring like... Squirtle.

I'm all up for harder gyms but you've gotta run with the idea on a reasonable level and that isn't.

Lv. 12 Aerodactyl has only Wing Attack and Agility. Count also Brock's TM and that is fair enough imo.

I don't know what you consider fair but when every Pokemon available until that point in the game is beaten by its Rock and Flying STAB except maybe Squirtle I don't agree. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Mankey... all die to Rock/Flying (or in Rattata's case Rock/Flying resists its Normal moves so isn't going to win). It has base 105 Attack and 130 Speed too.

Make the later gyms as hard as you want, but the first one especially has to be reasonable for all players and your suggestion isn't.

You're basically saying your idea is fair because the player should be forced to specifically overlevel a Butterfree for a certain move, pray you outspeed (you won't: base 70 vs base 130 lol) or Aerodactyl doesn't kill you and then hit a Sleep Powder. Otherwise you just outright lose to the gym.

Well, I believe one of the biggest failures of games is that Gym leaders unnecessarily don't have more useful and better promoting Pokémon and instead, they look like a simple trainers for time to time.
Strongly agree with this criticism, they always use the same expressionless Pokémon

But I would change Misty's Wartortle to Starmie, I think it's her best and signature Pokemon.

Also, a Omastar and Aerodactyl in the first gym would be too much.
It's better a Geodude, Onyx and Aerodactyl/OR Omastar. I this case I would go with Omastar.

And about Giovanni's last Pokemon. I understand the reasons of it, but Metwo be on his team goes against the plot. Though would be epic if this happens. So if there's a remake, a change here and there in the story can solve.

The rest I agree.

Last edited:
The wrong point is putting Aerodactyl at a first gym, considering we've had a Rock gym as the first gym for 3/6 generations and it's worked fine.

Take a look at this Category:Pokémon with a base stat total of 515 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Aerodactyl has the same stat total as those Pokemon. Would you ever suggest one of those for a first gym? Would you ever suggest one of those for a first gym when you know all Pokemon available to catch before that gym lose to that Pokemon? Like honestly I don't even think Squirtle can handle Aerodactyl that well.

I think the problem here is that you're severely underrating how strong Aerodactyl is stat-wise and typing-wise that early in the game. Rock/Ground for Onix and Geodude is a lot easier to handle than Rock/Flying mostly cos 2/3 of the starters beat them, you could pick up a Mankey that has Fighting moves and they aren't that fast (seriously, there's actually no possible way you are outspeeding Aerodactyl with that Butterfree at that point).

One day I hacked and got a Aerodactyl as a starter in BW, just for fun.
But the game were no more fun. because I defeated ALL pokemons with one hit. The point is that it doesn't have pre-evolution, so it's already strong from the start.

but if were an underleveled Aerodactyl in the first gym, it can work. Or maybe use in a hard mode? But I agree that there's better options.

Brock
- Geodude (Signature Pokémon)
- Omanyte
- Aerodactyl

Misty
- Poliwhirl
- Vaporeon
- Wartortle (Signature Pokémon)

Lt. Surge
- Electabuzz
- Jolteon
- Raichu (Signature Pokémon)

Erika
- Ivysaur
- Vileplume
- Tangela
- Weepinbell or Victrebell (Signature Pokémon)

Koga
- Nidorina
- Nidorino
- Haunter
- Muk (Signature Pokémon)

Sabrina
- Slowbro
- Mr. Mime
- Jynx
- Kadabra or Alakazam (Signature Pokémon)

Blaine
- Arcanine
- Flareon
- Charizard
- Magmar (Signature Pokémon)

Giovanni
- Persian
- Nidoking
- Machamp
- Gengar
- Marowak
- Mewtwo (Signature Pokémon) (Mewtwo is uncatchable until the league is completed as far as I know so that would make sense to be usable by Giovanni during the gym battle)

Aerodactyl is best saved for rematches. There is no way a gym leader would own Mewtwo even if it is Giovanni. Mewtwo would remain stationary in cerulean cave until you go and catch it post game. The rest of the pokemon are okay.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom