• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation What Pokemon Would You Like to See Get a Regional Variant?

puts on my Chaotic Evil hat

Meowth must have a regional variant for every new generation. It's the new Pikachu Clone! Except Meowth variants are allowed to evolve! ALL OF THE MEOWTH! ALL OF THEM!!

takes off hat

Also skitty needs more love. And glameow. Dark types. The Halloween energies are calling to me and I need all the spooky black cat pokemans!! Also Skitty should be fairy type YOU HEAR ME GAMEFREAK?? It's got a gosh dang moon shape around its face. It's pink. What's wrong with you. I'll accept fairy even more adorable somehow skitty as compesation.

I need to go to sleep its half past 3 am.

I wanted a Water or Ghost Growlithe variant so bad... I guess it will never happen now.
I also want Misdreavus/Mismagius to have a Dark/Fairy or Ghost/Fairy form.
Oddish line a variant that is Poison/Fairy.
Lycanroc to be even more werewolf-ish and it can be Rock/Ghost or Rock/Dark.

I don't see why that would never happen. We have precedent with Meowth, we can have multiple variants per monster.

puts on my Chaotic Evil hat

Meowth must have a regional variant for every new generation. It's the new Pikachu Clone! Except Meowth variants are allowed to evolve! ALL OF THE MEOWTH! ALL OF THEM!!

takes off hat

Also skitty needs more love. And glameow. Dark types. The Halloween energies are calling to me and I need all the spooky black cat pokemans!! Also Skitty should be fairy type YOU HEAR ME GAMEFREAK?? It's got a gosh dang moon shape around its face. It's pink. What's wrong with you. I'll accept fairy even more adorable somehow skitty as compesation.

I need to go to sleep its half past 3 am.
So the Serebii folks and I are having a lot of fun with a similar thread to this one. It’s been noted that all three Meowth forms so far have shared a common weakness; Fighting type. I’m pretty sure the type is equated somewhat with heroism in Japan, in contrast to Dark type, and considering Meowth’s position as Team Rocket’s mascot there’s a lot of room to play with here.

So I proposed an Ice type for Hisui, then someone else suggested a Rock type Meowth with an “unga bunga” form of Perrserker. That gave me the idea to have my ice type suggestion branch out into two evolved forms; a beautiful Ice-type Persian and and an abonimable snowman Ice-type Perrserker.

Then for everyone who wants an Egyptian cat, give that variant to Skitty or Glameow instead ;)

It's slightly feasible given the Scyther love that my OTP (One True Pokémon) Pinsir could get both a regional variant and an evolution, and it puts me in an interesting spot. For years I've wondered what a straightforward evolution would look like, but regional forms are often about completely subverting the initial typing. I'm very intrigued to see what the possibilities could be - at this point I think I might even be a little disappointed at a plain old Bug/Fighting variant, or similar bruiser.

(All this said, of course, I don't think it's typically the case that 'counterpart' species, such as Pinsir and Scyther, get regional attention. There's not much of a precedent to go off but neither Arbok nor Arcanine received a new form when Sandslash and Ninetales got theirs, Weezing had to wait a generation after Muk etc.)

(All this said, of course, I don't think it's typically the case that 'counterpart' species, such as Pinsir and Scyther, get regional attention. There's not much of a precedent to go off but neither Arbok nor Arcanine received a new form when Sandslash and Ninetales got theirs, Weezing had to wait a generation after Muk etc.)

Actually....

we know that Growlithe is getting a Hisuian variant in Legends Arceus, which means that either Arcanine is getting one too or Growlithe is getting an alternate evolution. So that's another case where Growlithe had to wait a generation.

And now we have another potential imbalance with Braviary getting one and no Mandibuzz variant so far.

And really, in more recent generations they've kind of shifted to making Heracross a counterpart to Pinsir instead of Scyther (they were version exclusive pairs in BW2, XY, and the SwSh Expansion Pass, and in XY they both got Megas). So if you're looking towards a Pinsir variant, you should keep more of an eye on Heracross than Scyther.

And really, in more recent generations they've kind of shifted to making Heracross a counterpart to Pinsir instead of Scyther (they were version exclusive pairs in BW2, XY, and the SwSh Expansion Pass, and in XY they both got Megas). So if you're looking towards a Pinsir variant, you should keep more of an eye on Heracross than Scyther.
This is very true - it seems to swing in either direction from time to time within the trio. Though, perversely, given that we've already seen bog-standard Heracross in a trailer already, that actually increases the odds of a regional Pinsir if the pairings get awarded new forms asymmetrically.

I can have it both ways, right?...

This is very true - it seems to swing in either direction from time to time within the trio. Though, perversely, given that we've already seen bog-standard Heracross in a trailer already, that actually increases the odds of a regional Pinsir if the pairings get awarded new forms asymmetrically.

I can have it both ways, right?...

Not really, no. When they first started pairing Pinsir with Heracross in BW2, they stopped pairing it with Scyther. The last game Scyther was in a version exclusive pair with Pinsir was DP, other than that they've only been paired with each other in Kanto remakes. And they wouldn't be able to rectify either of those situations without adding Heracross to the Kanto Dex and Pinsir to the Sinnoh Dex so they're in the main game along with their other counterpart, which is a step they seem unwilling to do since they seem to think it would ruin nostalgia. So I think any further Kanto remakes and BDSP and any further Sinnoh remakes will continue to use Scyther/Pinsir, but otherwise Pinsir will be paired with Heracross from this point on. There's no "swinging in either direction from time to time", they always pair Pinsir with Heracross now if they can help it (although frankly I think they can do more to help it by getting over their nostalgia obsession and expanding the freaking regional dexes, but it is what it is).

I would really like a regional variant of Dragonite because it’s a really cool Pokemon that deserved more. I would make it a Dragon and Ground type. I also want a Flygon variant seeing it got robbed of Mega Evolution. I would make it a Ground and Flying type

Dragonite is my biggest one since all the other old pseudos got something. My pick would be a Dragon/Water type that turns the wings into fins. Dratini and Dragonair would still be the same but they evolve into a Dragon/Water type because circumstances of the region make it more advantageous to stay in water than growing wings and flying out.

I'd also like to see a variant of one of the mushroom Pokemon like Parasect or Breloom that makes them Grass/Electric where their shrooms have adapted to become bio-luminescent granting them electric powers like Lanturn.

Volcarona as a Bug/Water or Bug/Fairy type would be cool if the regional variant inverts its sun like design into a moon like design.

I'd like to see my boy Mightyena get some love for once, and a regional variant would be cool to have. Or a Stat buff.

Edit: forgot to propose a typing. Maybe a more mystical Fairy or Psychic type Mighyena? It could keep the Dark type and have a second.

Last edited:
Perhaps a Ghost/Flying regional Honchkrow? This is a type combo that has a lot of offensive potential, but Drifblim's stats and movepool are too awkward to make it work and while Oricorio can provide a glimpse of this type's true potential, it's held back by being, well, Oricorio. So a Ghost/Flying Honchkrow with its Attack and Special Attack flipped could be a cool special breaker, and you can draw inspiration from Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven for its design.

Also, I feel that Tropius should at least gain something, its stats and movepool are really bad. Maybe some kind of Grass/Dragon type with an evolution?

I want to see a future region do Luxray justice. Doesn’t even have to be the electric/dark we’ve always wanted it to be, just please god give him more speed and more stab options

Hard agree on Flygon but I’d maybe go bug/dragon

Regional Croagunk line would be cool too. Could poison/electric or rock or something

Only a matter of time until we get a regional Lucario. Psychic/fighting maybe?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom