• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation What Pokemon Would You Like to See Get a Regional Variant?

Bronze, vintage-looking (steampunk) Steel/Psychic pseudo time machine Magnezone.(like a failed experimental machine that gained consciousness via being infested with stray Magnemite) Could be good for Galar but alas.

An ice type regional purloin and liepard that resemble snow leopards.

An electric type regional meowth and Persian that are cheetahs.
Hmm we already got lots of ice type regional variants and Electric wouldn't work for Meowth because of Pikachu but maybe Ground if we're talking about cheetahs

Maybe a Poison type for Meowth, because Poison is another one of those edgy, creepy types like its previous Dark or Steel
Mmm cats aren't known to be venomous if we must have another reginal Meowth I'd suggest a Ground type Meowth to parallel cats in ancient egypt. Ghost seems too uncanny seeing as it would clash in with the Yamask line.

But personally I'd prefer regional variants for the Wingull line, Masquerain, the Numel line, Luvdisc ( with a new evolution), the Buizel line, and Mantine

Last edited:
I’d be willing to bet the next Meowth, since that’s probably gonna be a tradition, will be fairy. So far both his variants are types introduced after gen 1, they might as well get the one other lmao

This just popped into my head for some reason: Fire/Electric Camerupt with a power plant/nuclear motif. I also really wanna see something become flying. Maybe make Clefable’s little wings grow out? Fighting-type Sentret line would be pretty hilarious, and give those poor guys a third stage while you’re at it

I’d be willing to bet the next Meowth, since that’s probably gonna be a tradition, will be fairy. So far both his variants are types introduced after gen 1, they might as well get the one other lmao

This just popped into my head for some reason: Fire/Electric Camerupt with a power plant/nuclear motif. I also really wanna see something become flying. Maybe make Clefable’s little wings grow out? Fighting-type Sentret line would be pretty hilarious, and give those poor guys a third stage while you’re at it
Flying/Poison Oddish line and a Rock/Plant Bellsprout line
Imagine an Oddish, flying by rotating the leaves like a helicopter :D

Flying/Poison Oddish line and a Rock/Plant Bellsprout line
Imagine an Oddish, flying by rotating the leaves like a helicopter :D
Those would'nt match their real world counterparts and why must Oddish lose it's grass typing? A regional Bellsprout would be cool especially if it was Grass/Psychic

Those would'nt match their real world counterparts and why must Oddish lose it's grass typing? A regional Bellsprout would be cool especially if it was Grass/Psychic
I thought about grass/flying before but than I realized that there are a couple of grass/flying types (even though not that many) but the only flying/poison types are the zubat line so I preferred that version
Didn't think this through though, wrote that in a kind of impulsive euphoria without giving it any further thought

Grass/Psychic bellsprout sounds nice though, would make it dangerous to the fire/fighting starters

I thought about grass/flying before but than I realized that there are a couple of grass/flying types (even though not that many) but the only flying/poison types are the zubat line so I preferred that version
Didn't think this through though, wrote that in a kind of impulsive euphoria without giving it any further thought

Grass/Psychic bellsprout sounds nice though, would make it dangerous to the fire/fighting starters
Yeahh we don't need more regional variants for kanto Pokemon especially if they're from a past time period. Gamefreak loves to reshape Kanto Pokemon at any wim. I mean we didn't need two mega evolutions for Charizard

Yeahh we don't need more reginal variants for kanto Pokemon especially if they're from a past time period. Gamefreak loves to reshape Kanto Pokemon at any wim. I mean we didn't need two mega evolutions for Charizard
That's indeed true, how about something like a hisuian gliscor with Ice/flying type? Would work well (I guess?) because it could be possible that it became ground/flying type over time since Sinnoh/Hisui got warmer over time

That's indeed true, how about something like a hisuian gliscor with Ice/flying type? Would work well (I guess?) because it could be possible that it became ground/flying type over time since Sinnoh/Hisui got warmer over time
Its way too late for that because legends is almost out

Last edited:
Its way too late for that because legends is almost out
I'm aware of that, but since this whole thread is purely theoretical it doesn't matter. Even if it was going to be released in late 2022 it wouldn't make a difference (unless GF and TPC are secretly spying this thread to get some inspiration). It's about what we would like to see getting a regional variant after all, so I guess there is nothing wrong about wanting a hisuian Ice/flying type gliscor. If designed properly it could look pretty rad, and the only ice/flying type that is not a legendary is delibird, which is (despite being a kinda cool idea) not very useful in a fight.

I'm aware of that, but since this whole thread is purely theoretical it doesn't matter. Even if it was going to be released in late 2022 it wouldn't make a difference (unless GF and TPC are secretly spying this thread to get some inspiration). It's about what we would like to see getting a regional variant after all, so I guess there is nothing wrong about wanting a hisuian Ice/flying type gliscor. If designed properly it could look pretty rad, and the only ice/flying type that is not a legendary is delibird, which is (despite being a kinda cool idea) not very useful in a fight.
It's under the speculation board but ok

Not only is Gliscor a sinnoh Pokemon already but scorpions don't live in tundras normally even Pokemon like fennekin make sense ( the fire type being because of its thermal ears)

Last edited:
It's under the speculation board but ok

Not only is Gliscor a sinnoh Pokemon already but scorpions don't live in tundras normally even Pokemon like fennekin make sense ( the fire type being because of its thermal ears)

Edit : But hey we're possibily getting a split Sneasel evolution there's that
Yeah, that was kind of the reason why I thought about it. And yes, scorpions are indeed not found in cold areas usually, but to be fair, hisuian voltorb does not make any sense either (Dex entry from Silver says It was discovered when Poké Balls were introduced. It is said that there is some connection. and the Dex entry from Crystal says During the study of this Pokémon, it was discovered that its components are not found in nature.)
If we keep in mind that Pokeballs where invented in 1925, this means that said year is the earliest possible date for the discovery of voltorb. PL:A plays significantly earlier so the fact that voltorb appears in Hisui doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, that was kind of the reason why I thought about it. And yes, scorpions are indeed not found in cold areas usually, but to be fair, hisuian voltorb does not make any sense either (Dex entry from Silver says It was discovered when Poké Balls were introduced. It is said that there is some connection. and the Dex entry from Crystal says During the study of this Pokémon, it was discovered that its components are not found in nature.)
If we keep in mind that Pokeballs where invented in 1925, this means that said year is the earliest possible date for the discovery of voltorb. PL:A plays significantly earlier so the fact that voltorb appears in Hisui doesn't make any sense at all.
My guy legends has not come out and we're already making assumptions about it's new pokemon species. I don't know where you're pulling up that pokeballs were invented in 1925 but can you provide proof?

Gamefreak always has an explanation for everything but that doesn't mean they won't try to disgress from an old formula ( going back to my argument about Fennekin). One could easily argue Hisuian Voltorb 'condensed' into a modern PokeBall over time.

My guy legends has not come out and we're already making assumptions about it's new pokemon species. I don't know where you're pulling up that pokeballs were invented in 1925 but can you provide proof?

Gamefreak always has an explanation for everything but that doesn't mean they won't try to disgress from an old formula ( going back to my argument about Fennekin). One could easily argue Hisuian Voltorb 'condensed' into a modern PokeBall over time.
I should've indeed added some kind of source for a statement like that, sorry about that, my bad.

Professor Westwood's Poké Balls​

According to the Encyclopedia Pokemonica, Pocket Monsters Encyclopedia, and a Pokémon Daisuki Club site describing the Pokémon world, modern Poké Balls were developed in 1925 from the research of Professor Westwood of Celadon University.

(source: History of Poké Balls - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia )

And even if they find a way to make hisuian voltorb work, let's take look at alolan vulpix. While there is indeed snow in Hawaii on the two highest mountains (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa) and both of them are used for Alola - there is only seasonal snow. And it's an island. So there won't be any arctic foxes, even if they could technically survive there for a certain time during the year. Same goes for sandshrew.

Also (I may be wrong about that because I have strong difficulties with this stuff, especially if I'm not talking in person) I hope I'm not making you angry or something, if I do just tell me and I will stop discussing this any further. :)

I should've indeed added some kind of source for a statement like that, sorry about that, my bad.

Professor Westwood's Poké Balls​

According to the Encyclopedia Pokemonica, Pocket Monsters Encyclopedia, and a Pokémon Daisuki Club site describing the Pokémon world, modern Poké Balls were developed in 1925 from the research of Professor Westwood of Celadon University.

(source: History of Poké Balls - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia )

And even if they find a way to make hisuian voltorb work, let's take look at alolan vulpix. While there is indeed snow in Hawaii on the two highest mountains (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa) and both of them are used for Alola - there is only seasonal snow. And it's an island. So there won't be any arctic foxes, even if they could technically survive there for a certain time during the year. Same goes for sandshrew.

Also (I may be wrong about that because I have strong difficulties with this stuff, especially if I'm not talking in person) I hope I'm not making you angry or something, if I do just tell me and I will stop discussing this any further. :)
No I wasn't mad nor would I place you below anyone else when it comes to speculation. But I do feel obliged to point out problems with a theory and that does not mean I want to put you down.

Point is for Oddish it'll be a plant no matter what. And as for Gliscor talking about a hisuian form is a stretch even if we're talking theoretically.

I'm sorry that that came across as strong unless you meant something different.

Last edited:
No I wasn't mad nor would I place you below anyone else when it comes to speculation. But I do feel obliged to point out problems with a theory and that does not mean I want to put you down.

Point is for Oddish it'll be a plant no matter what. And as for Gliscor talking about a hisuian form is a stretch even if we're talking theory.

I'm sorry that that came across as strong unless you meant something different..
Ok, glad to hear that. I just tend to a "not knowing when to stop"-behaviour and I often either don't realize that people are getting angry or start to behave unnecessary careful because I tend to consider myself more annoying than I actually am.

Growlithe. Growlithe should get a new variant.

I'm barely acknowledging Hisuian Growlithe. It's kind of cute and doofy, but it's such a huge let down for a pokemon that deserved so much better.

There were so many clever fake Water-type designs for Arcanine in Gen 7. Even Ice or Dragon would make for an interesting variant... or take "Windie" literally and let it fly. Anything other than a cartoony, more literal lion dog with a bad half-assed type change.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom