• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation What Pokemon Would You Like to See Get a Regional Variant?

While I'm not super thrilled with Hisuian Growlithe, that's not on the top of my list of Pokemon that need a second regional variant. That would be Ponyta for me. We are in desperate need of a pegasus/alicorn Pokemon, and a Ponyta variant would be the simplest way to accomplish it. They'll probably save this for a Greek region, but once they get to Greece a Flying type pegasus variant is a must.

While I'm not super thrilled with Hisuian Growlithe, that's not on the top of my list of Pokemon that need a second regional variant. That would be Ponyta for me. We are in desperate need of a pegasus/alicorn Pokemon, and a Ponyta variant would be the simplest way to accomplish it. They'll probably save this for a Greek region, but once they get to Greece a Flying type pegasus variant is a must.
Oh gawd, yes, I change my answer, I want new variants for both. Though I don't mind Galarian Ponyta, they really dropped the ball with Galarian Rapidash. If not a Flying-type Ponyta variant line, then a new winged form or evo for both regular and Galarian Rapidash. One that doesn't get lost along with any new gimmicks.

Oh gawd, yes, I change my answer, I want new variants for both. Though I don't mind Galarian Ponyta, they really dropped the ball with Galarian Rapidash. If not a Flying-type Ponyta variant line, then a new winged form or evo for both regular and Galarian Rapidash. One that doesn't get lost along with any new gimmicks.
We really don't need a pokemon based on an alicorn so soon. The Devs behind Sword and Shield must really like horses after all. I think an alicorn would look akward unless it was very different then the five horses available in the aforementioned games

We really don't need a pokemon based on an alicorn so soon. The Devs behind Sword and Shield must really like horses after all. I think an alicorn would look akward unless it was very different then the five horses available in the aforementioned games
I really don't get your logic there... wings already would make it considerably different from the other horses, and an alicorn wouldn't look awkward because other horses exist any more than adding an eagle would look awkward because other birds exist.

So where are the other winged horses that a pegasus/alicorn Pokemon would look similar to again?

So where are the other winged horses that a pegasus/alicorn Pokemon would look similar to again?
Lol I didn't say that did I? I said having an alicorn right after generation 8 would be puzzling. I did not say we have another alicorn pokemon. The Galar Ponyta line, along with Spectrier and Glastrier have already been introduced. Unlike generation 6 where we got a single line of fox pokemon.

Lol I didn't say that did I? I said having an alicorn right after generation 8 would be puzzling. I did not say we have another alicorn pokemon. The Galar Ponyta line, along with Spectrier and Glastrier have already been introduced. Unlike generation 6 where we got a single line of fox pokemon.
It wouldn't be weird for them to add more horses, we had a huge lack of them for years. And they certainly have no problem implementing more mice, fish, cats, birds, and dogs.

It wouldn't be weird for them to add more horses, we had a huge lack of them for years. And they certainly have no problem implementing more mice, fish, cats, birds, and dogs.
1. I think you meant to refer to rodents in general
2. Of course fish species are very bountiful
3. Cats are popular pets though Meowth getting two regional forms makes separate cat pokemon less interesting :(
4. Same as 2
5. Same as 3 although horses can have different breeds canines are much more diverse from what i can guess. ( And in spite of my pfp haha )

I'm not against a pegai pokemon but it can't be just crammed in like certain Pokémon were in Alola

For example having Komala and Magearna in Alola ( the latter really bothered me )

Last edited:
1. I think you meant to refer to rodents in general
2. Of course fish species are very bountiful
3. Cats are popular pets though Meowth getting two regional forms makes separate cat pokemon less interesting :(
4. Same as 2
5. Same as 3 although horses can have different breeds canines are much more diverse from what i can guess. ( And in spite of my pfp haha )

I'm not against a pegai pokemon but it can't be just crammed in like certain Pokémon were in Alola

For example having Komala and Magearna in Alola ( the latter really bothered me )
Horses are also a popular and commonly owned animal, so I still don't see your point?

How about a regional variant for Zangoose and Seviper? The two are rather overlooked/forgotten (especially after Jessie boxed her Seviper at the end of the DP anime) and could use a buff or two in the form of new variants. Maybe even regional evolutions like Obstagoon and the like would be necessary to give them buffs.

How about a regional variant for Zangoose and Seviper? The two are rather overlooked/forgotten (especially after Jessie boxed her Seviper at the end of the DP anime) and could use a buff or two in the form of new variants. Maybe even regional evolutions like Obstagoon and the like would be necessary to give them buffs.
They're kinda awkward looking to me and I don't want anything like
Primal Dialga/Palkia

That didn't stop Mons like Quilfish, the Goomy line, and even Basculin from getting regional forms (and in some cases evos), so why should it stop Zangoose/Seviper?
The point is gamefreak has been producing pokemon that look like tem tem creatures. I did not mention those pokemon because on paper they are okay. Even then a few of them are really bad like Overquil. Let's not forget Dialga and Palkia are iconic legendary mascots that got makeovers that no one asked for. Groudon and Kyogre got primal reversions sure, but it makes sense canonically and it fitted as a branch mega evolution mechanic. They're also very regal/magestic looking ~

Last edited:
The point is gamefreak has been producing pokemon that look like tem tem creatures. I did not mention those pokemon because on paper they are okay. Even then a few of them are really bad like Overquil. Let's not forget Dialga and Palkia are iconic legendary mascots that got makeovers that no one asked for. Groudon and Kyogre got primal reversions sure, but it makes sense canonically and it fitted as a branch mega evolution mechanic. They're also very regal/magestic looking ~

...You realized I don't know a thing (or care) about TemTem, right? And the point remains regardless of where the inspiration comes from: certain Pokemon need buffs like regional variants (and potential evos) in order to avoid becoming forgotten in the sea of creatures there are in the franchise. And it's more than just on paper, you know. Sure, Groudon and Kyogre got primal forms, which fits with their lore, but then why did Rayquaza get a Mega and not a Primal despite also sharing the same lore connection? On top of that, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres got regional forms despite having virtually no lore at all outside of a small connection to Lugia, and even that is questionable. That's the thing: GF creates the lore as they please. So if they want to give a Mon a regional variant there is nothing that's stopping them from doing it, lore be damned. So there is nothing stopping Zangoose and Seviper from getting regional forms and having their already small lore altered or even extended to reflect it. So whether the Mons look like TemTem creatures or not to you is irrelevant, as this discussion thread is all about offering ideas on how to make obsolete Mons like Zangoose and Seviper more viable and/or give them more lore in general by giving them regional variants and potential evolutions. Looking like TemTem Mons or not means nothing to GF, as they call the shots when it comes to what powers/forms/variants/lore a Mon gets. We can just offer suggestions that they might take.

And if a Pokemon looking like a TemTem Mon bothers you then just ignore it. As Rachnera from Monster Musume once said, "We're free to love and hate whatever we want". So if you hate that some more recent forms and Mons look like TemTem then fine, just don't drag someone else into the equation, as you'll find trying to change their mind is harder than changing your mind. I don't care if some of the Mons look like TemTem, as I don't give a damn about that franchise. If GF was outright plagiarizing TemTem then maybe I could see that being an issue, but they're not. So stop dragging me into this argument about Pokemon and TemTem, as it's derailing the point of the thread. My point remains: Zangoose and Seviper need a regional form in order to not be lost in the vast sea of creatures that is this franchise. End of discussion.

I don't think Overqwil is even that bad? Out of all the new evos and forms, it's one of the few I actually like... not like-like, but compared to the others, it meets the bare minimum of "well, I don't hate it." I wish they just gave it to regular Qwilfish instead of a regional variant, but I'm actually kinda charmed by it in that it reminds me of many of the Gen 1 fish like Starmie and Seadra.

Good gawd are Dialga and Palkia's new forms hideous, though. It's incredibly disappointing that they didn't at least make them more like Giratina instead of broken centaurs for some reason.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom