• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what real-world inspirations do you think deserve official pokemon?

MelodicCharm

confused girls!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. It/Its
curious what y'all would love to see pokemon based on!

personally i think i'd love to see one based on the green-banded broodsac parasite (Leucochloridium paradoxum) that infects snails, creating this weird pulsing, hypnotic effect in their eyestalks! i'm biased since i find parasites fascinating, but i think it would be pretty neat!
(warning that if you're squeamish about bugs or parasites, the below image may be gross/gruesome!)
1698789004562.jpeg

i think this would be doubly cool since an enemy based on them actually recently appeared in Super Mario Wonder!
the normal infected eyestalks have been taken to create cute little "rabbit ears" for this design!
1698788995338.png

I actually think it could be Poison/Fairy?
i would enjoy a poison/fairy plague doctor a lot, i think that would be more interesting conceptually and design-wise. poison/ghost could also be fun if it were to incorporate like a flowing cloak though! maybe a split evolution, one a healer and the other a harbinger?

EDIT: alternatively, playing off your idea of it just playing with humans, it could be a pokemon toggling between those two "healer and harbinger" forms!

Last edited:
I actually think it could be Poison/Fairy? A Pokémon that uses its magical power to cure disease but it also appears that the disease is caused by the Pokémon and it's just playing with humans... This idea is not very well thought out but something like that haha
Wait no that's a better idea actually, I need to draw a character based off it
i would enjoy a poison/fairy plague doctor a lot, i think that would be more interesting conceptually and design-wise. poison/ghost could also be fun if it were to incorporate like a flowing cloak though! maybe a split evolution, one a healer and the other a harbinger?

EDIT: alternatively, playing off your idea of it just playing with humans, it could be a pokemon toggling between those two "healer and harbinger" forms!
Like, this is just begging for a character design (probably won't make it a pokemon though)

Like, this is just begging for a character design (probably won't make it a pokemon though)
I need to draw some of these ideas too! Specially the parasite mentioned by Sylviecat at the beginning of the thread.
(I really want to see what you design with the concept we developed, your character designs are so cool haha)

I'd love to see a stickbug and a tiger mosquito Pokémon.
Maybe a Sudowoodo convergent/regional form? After all they're both creatures that disguise themselves as plants in order to confuse predators... A thin, lanky Bug-type Sudowoodo is fun to imagine ^^

i've been thinking about drawing the split evo plague doctor too... if we ever get around to it it would be fun to compare designs!

I need a Steel-type Pokémon based on the Hedgehog in the Cage puzzle!
I just searched it, and it would be a very cute idea! Maybe it can manipulate metal and build a cage around itself to keep it safe from trainers and other Pokémon. When the cage fails, there's always the spikes.
Maybe a Mimikyu-like Pokémon that can't be damaged until you damage its cage? Or a Minior-like where you can break the cage to see its stats change?

or, if you break the cage (maybe half health? or if it receives a certain amount of damage at once? not sure how those abilities are really done and balanced) all physical attacks against it automatically take recoil/retaliatory damage!

I thought out a name for the little guy: Hedgekov, the metal cage Pokémon! (It's a portmanteau between hedgehog and 'kov', which if my sources are correct, means 'metal' in Czech. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Edit: had another idea for it, maybe it can only build trust with people if they manage to get it out of its cage without damaging either it or the pokémon, much like the original puzzle!

I thought out a name for the little guy: Hedgekov, the metal cage Pokémon! (It's a portmanteau between hedgehog and 'kov', which if my sources are correct, means 'metal' in Czech. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
You are correct! I find the name cute, however, it sounds a bit like a place name or a surname ('Nabokov' etc), so something different might be more appropriate? I have no ideas though... (Other Czech words that I think could be used for its name are 'ocel' (steel) and 'klec' (cage)).

Also, I think it could be Steel/Flying type since it was popularized in novels where it serves the role of 'a mysterious object everyone wants because it contains a manual on how to construct a flying bicycle'. I don't have any ideas on what abilities it could have, there are too many options... maybe all of the suggested combined? lol

(Other Czech words that I think could be used for its name are 'ocel' (steel) and 'klec' (cage)).
Mmm... Kleckhog? The k is there so it doesn't make a "ch" sound in English.

I initially thought of it as a Steel/Normal type, since most Normal types are just normal animals with a certain special attribute and for this one it would be the cage. And also because of its puzzle-like nature, it may attract humans who like intellectual challenges. Usually Pokémon that interact with humans on a daily basis (like Cyclizar or Drampa) are normal type.

(Aaah I really need to draw all of these Fakémon!!)

Dunno how relevant this is, but I've played a fangame that actually has a Poison/Fairy plague doctor-themed split evo for Spritzee, just thought that was a funny coincidence :enzap:although I've never really liked its design, plus its movepool kinda sucks .__.

Just so I'm still on topic, I definitely agree that we need a tardigrade Pokémon. This might just be my objectmon bias speaking, but I feel like a Roomba mon has potential too. Or a regular vacuum cleaner. Just any random mundane objects, I need more objectmon lol.

Back
Top Bottom