• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what real-world inspirations do you think deserve official pokemon?

We really need more dinosaurs. Maybe have the original forms of the galar fossils? I'd love to have Minotauros to.

Nah, what we really need is a dragon-based Pokemon that is not a Dragon-type, because it'd be nice for reptiles to get that kind of variety instead of being literally typecast as Dragons unless they're venomous. We've already got several bird Pokemon that aren't Flying-types, after all, so there's precedent. Not sure what type this non-Dragon-type Dragon would be, though. Maybe Fire/Flying if we want to lean into a Wastern dragon design, or Water/Flying if we'd rather lean into Eastern dragon design.

Maybe Fire/Flying if we want to lean into a Wastern dragon design, or Water/Flying if we'd rather lean into Eastern dragon design.
So... Charizard and Gyarados? X) But you're right, reptile Pokémon should get more type variety outside of Dragon and Poison. Pokémon like Kecleon and Helioptile fit that niche quite well! I could see a Rock-type bearded dragon Pokémon, really focusing on their spiky exterior and sand-like colour. Or a deceiving Psychic/Dark-type snake Pokémon, with snakes being often associated with treason and betrayal.

So... Charizard and Gyarados? X) But you're right, reptile Pokémon should get more type variety outside of Dragon and Poison. Pokémon like Kecleon and Helioptile fit that niche quite well! I could see a Rock-type bearded dragon Pokémon, really focusing on their spiky exterior and sand-like colour. Or a deceiving Psychic/Dark-type snake Pokémon, with snakes being often associated with treason and betrayal.
Maybe a trickster fairy type disguised as a dragon, causing you to send in the wrong pokemon?

I would LOVE it if we got a bearded dragon Pokémon! My real-life pet needs the Pokémon treatment...

It occurred to me that we haven't had a hornbill Pokémon. I'd like to see Game Freak adapt the hornbill nesting behavior into a Pokedex entry someday. Maybe in-universe the Pokémon could be a seen as a symbol of loyalty or familial love, like how Luvdisc is seen as a symbol for romantic love. (For some hornbill species, before the female lays her eggs, the couple will make a nest in a tree hollow and work together to build a wall of mud, completely blocking the entrance except for a tiny slit. The mud hardens, and the female is left stuck inside. She--and the chicks, once they hatch--are completely dependent on the male to bring them food and pass it through the slit.) I dunno, I just think hornbills are neat and could make a very wholesome Pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom