• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what real-world inspirations do you think deserve official pokemon?

honey possum! <=] very tiny flower-eating marsupial.
i also think it'd be neat to see some more weird and wonky mythical creatures from folklore and old stories. medieval bestiaries definitely have a ton of neat concepts that could make really fun pokemon!

I can't believe we don't have a hummingbird Pokemon. It would work especially well for the next time we get a region based somewhere in the Americas (I'm hoping we get a Mesoamerican region at some point). I think it would be cool if it generated electricity from its buzzing wings. Electric-Flying or maybe Electric-Fairy.

I want a peacock Pokemon. The closest to that is Quaquaval, but it's too stylized to really qualify for me.

Another cool basis Pokemon would be the lamptoptera meges, also known as the dragontail butterfly. Maybe this could be the Bug/Dragon-type everyone's been waiting for!
unno-kazuo.gif

I agree with the opossum and racoon suggestions earlier.
I also think there should be a more straightforward earthworm: Orthworm isn't earthworm-like enough.

Speaking of other suggestions, I'd like to see a tapeworm, a flea, a mannequin, a crash dummy, alcohol (beer kegs, wine bottles, etc.), ice cream (if there's Swirlix for cotton candy and Alcremie for whipped cream, why not), and an aquatic narwhal (Cetitan doesn't quite scratch that itch).

To be clear, I haven't actually finished Scarlet (having empty landscapes and bad music does that), so I don't know what hasn't been done yet. I'll just make a guess about which ones have been done.

I agree with the opossum and racoon suggestions earlier.
I also think there should be a more straightforward earthworm: Orthworm isn't earthworm-like enough.

Speaking of other suggestions, I'd like to see a tapeworm, a flea, a mannequin, a crash dummy, alcohol (beer kegs, wine bottles, etc.), ice cream (if there's Swirlix for cotton candy and Alcremie for whipped cream, why not), and an aquatic narwhal (Cetitan doesn't quite scratch that itch).

To be clear, I haven't actually finished Scarlet (having empty landscapes and bad music does that), so I don't know what hasn't been done yet. I'll just make a guess about which ones have been done.
Joltik is at least partially inspiried by a flea judging by the way it moves (I know it's mostly a tick but still, Pokemon can have more than one inspiration). Does Dewgong count as a narwhal?

The Vanillite line already fills the ice cream Pokemon niche.

Joltik is at least partially inspiried by a flea judging by the way it moves (I know it's mostly a tick but still, Pokemon can have more than one inspiration). Does Dewgong count as a narwhal?

The Vanillite line already fills the ice cream Pokemon niche.

I can't believe I forgot the Vanillite line! They were made before the sweet food-Fairy type association.

On a more relevant note: a scaly-foot snail is a good idea, as is a snailfish or a lollipop catshark. (I'd say "Dumbo octopus", too, but Clobbopus already has the niche of a cute, round, big-headed octopus.) A moss or lichen species seems a particularly obvious missing concept, though: it's not like every game has an option to explore the bottom of the sea, and making it catchable on land or through fishing might change the concept.

yeah oh my god i would loveeeee to have a pokemon based on any sort of parasitic invertebrate sooooo much. i know we have buzzwole but it’s really abstracted from its inspiration, it would be cool to see a more grounded one

I was rewatching some scenes from the guardians of gahoole and I would like to
see some Snowy Owls as pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom