• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What references to older sagas would you like to see in XY?

Blazing Charmander

The Stray Veteran Pokemon
Reaction score
For older fans, some of our enjoyment from watching the Pokemon anime stems from seeing nods to the show's continuity. The return of Charizard in BW was a huge dollop of fanservice, and it was nice to see Ash recall his adventures with Charizard via a number of reanimated flashbacks, giving Iris and Cilan some insight into his experience as a trainer. Generally the writers have been good at honouring the show's history during its run, with early to mid BW being the only obvious case of attempting to keep the past under wraps for the sake of a fresh start. So, what do you guys think we can expect to see referenced during XY? It is early days at the moment, but do you think that any opportunities will arise for Ash to remember his old travel companions and journeys?

I think that the Kalos League could give Ash the chance to use a few of his Oaked reserves just like in Johto and Sinnoh, and hopefully one or two of those Pokemon can receive some development in this saga like Phanpy in the Battle Frontier arc and Cyndaquil in DP. In terms of episodes that we do know about, maybe the upcoming Golden Magikarp episode could feature Ash sporting the Misty Lure given that a scan shows the group fishing. It would be particularly interesting to see how Serena would react to the lure.

For me, I would like to see Misty return with a Mega Gyrados.

Another cool thing that there would be something that looked like the old Pokemon sprites in the first game in the backgrounds.

Ah heck, any shout out to the past is much appreciated! :-D (though sometimes it backfires. Like how those flashbacks in BW did more harm than good by reminding us of superior sagas...)

I for one am hoping that some long absent, nigh-forgotten characters show up with Mega-Evolutions :). Shoot, some guest appearances all together (Really hoping Giovanni's new outfit means he'll step up to bat again)

And I can totally see Ash bringing back some of his older Pokémon. Gen 6 has fewer new Pokémon than usual (though more are on the way), meaning they don't have to make him use ONLY Gen Sixers for his team the whole time. Especially since he has two Pokes who can Mega-Evolve ;-)

Last edited:
I would like to see all kind of throwbacks to past and pokemon history. It would be nice move from writers part if they acknowledge past generations, characters and various plots which left impact on following and Ash character. Something which is handled very scare and inconsistently sadly.

We could see Ash utilize Misty lure in fishing competition, show flashback of his previous companions and friends(like Dawn, Cilan, May) explaining to Serena, Bonnie and Clemont who they are (similar how they brought up Brock in Unova giving nods to his role and help he provided on Ash numerous adventures). There could be perhaps video calls with someone else beside prof. Oak letting viewer know how at least sometime Ash stays in touch with his friends exchanging experiences, and talking about their progress, things they get on their nerves and changes they are going through.

Such small, continuity references would be really appreciated increasing continuity, bringing more meat to story and insight to previous sagas and events adding for more consistent story which builds on itself and sense of strong unity and connection prevailing there. Overall bringing more depth to Ash development thanks to callbacks to history and those which helped shape him up in person, trainer he became over the years explaining better orgin and path which got him where he stands now.

Maybe even bring some of them back when plot allows for it. Like May if RS remakes come or to promote mega evolution like Venusaur, or Blaziken.
Misty showing mega Gyarados, meet E4 Siebald going all fangirly and excited over meeting such powerful water expert(basically water master, which she wants to be), enter water tournament to show how much she improved learning of new, more effective battl.e style etc.
. Moving things forward with headstrong, adventurous personality reviving on friendship with Ash, and creating relationship with his new friends.

Max meeting Bonnie would be pretty cool too having quite a few sharing points. Etc.

Bring some of Ash older poklemon like they did with Phanphy and Cyndaquil strengthening better links to previous generations. Maybe use of some more neglected, underutilized pokemon like Kingler, Muk, Torterra or Totodile, Gible. Such things would imo help embalm pokemon show with more excitement and energy, serve as bridge which connects pokemon anime with older sagas and history increasing continuity. And makes it seem like its on going story which builds on itself, how previous events and strong friendship which left influence on anime storyline and Ash, but unexplored potential and unfinished chapters in someone story are acknowledged bringing more substance to it.

Making Kalos series more charming to follow.

Last edited:
Any time we see a Poke Ash owns, have him be like "hey! a "random poke he owns/ has Owned". I've got one of them". That's actually something I've always wanted to see

I would love to see Yamato and Kosaburou again, we haven't seen those two in a while. And Cabernet because of the whole "Kalos is France" thing. :)

Can background music be involved with this? Because apparently they haven't been using background music from the oldest of series. (I'm talking about Japan and Japanese music, at least.)

I'm sure that, the more BGM gets made, the more the makers in Japan would rather focus on music from the latest Pokemon games and Pokemon movies, but hey, if they were wanting to reference the past...

For me, it'd be nice if they used more of the more rarely played pieces of BGM from the first few series, whatever those are, but I doubt the person/people placing the music in each episode would care enough to spend so much time looking through rare stuff.

Any time we see a Poke Ash owns, have him be like "hey! a "random poke he owns/ has Owned". I've got one of them". That's actually something I've always wanted to see

I always enjoy instances like that, such as when Ash brought back his Bulbasaur for one episode after May caught hers. He also mentioned his Phanpy during that Donphan episode in Hoenn, though that was probably foreshadowing its eventual return in the Battle Frontier. Sadly the writers are inconsistent in giving Ash's old Pokemon this treatment. For that matter, did he happen to reference his own Snorlax in the latest XY episode at Parfum Palace?

I'd like to see Sceptile in action again. But yeah, getting more of a general feed of continuity to at least show how Ash has been affected by his journeys and all would be pretty good.

edit: and Ho-Oh. God I miss it. double edit: Butch and Cassidy, or TR with a personality in general.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the Mega Tournament specials involve some old characters reappearing.

I'd love to see the old TR disguises like the Moltres one omg.
Also I wanna see Samurai with Mega-Pinsir, Misty with Gyarados, May with Venasaur etc.
Something they could add is Ash video calling his former travelling companions. Idc it could be a 5 sencond cameo but seeing that he never lost touch with them would be great.

Given how ridiculously...French the sommelier profession is, there just has to be a throwback to the two sommeliers somewhere. Like idk, an episode with training school for sommeliers or something (or better, have it turn out to be the school that Dent and Cabernet studied at, since I don't think it was confirmed where the Sommelier school was).

Even better, have them come back for the episode.

Would like to see Ash find that Butterfree he released back in Season 1. That, or to bring back Bulbasour, evolve it then Mega Evolve.

Cilan and Cabernet - they are sommerliers XD

Gary - there's a mention of Prof. Oak's grandson being in Kalos in the games.

Iris and Georgia - the whole Dragon busting rivalry and the introduction of Fairy types

Looker - definitely

Last edited:
This always bothered me about Ash' Torterra :

With the exception of battles against Team Rocket, Torterra was defeated in every battle it participated in after evolving from Grotle.
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash's_Torterra

Let the big guy win a game for once!

Iris and Georgia - the whole Dragon busting rivalry and the introduction of Fairy types

While I'd rather not see Iris again (even though I know it's coming :dead:) I'd really like to see Langley again, especially after her last appearance in be BW was so terrible.

Heck, the idea of her looking to getting a Fairy sounds like a hoot unto itself since she doesn't look like she'd be interested in cute Pokémon otherwise :lol:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom