• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What removed features do you want to see return?

So much... *_*

-Pokéathlon
I really enjoyed it, unlike the contests. You could also actually buy stuff with Athlete points, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

-Pokémon World Tournament
Nostalgia fuel. 'Nuff said.

-Battle Frontier
I found all the different facilities really cool. The Battle Tower and it's successors are a staple, but it gets boring after a while.

-Seasons
They were a very interesting mechanic, and they didn't sacrifice gameplay for realise thanks to the monthly switch.

-Different Pokémon according to the time of day
I don't understand why this was removed. The visual transition is still there. Other time based events still exist, so why not this?

-Pokémon following you
It immersed me a lot more into the experience, seeing my Pokémon slowly grow to like me more.

-PokéGadgets (PokéGear, PokéNav, Pokétch)
They where really awesome, especially the Poké with the loads of useful applications. The C-gear introduced something I dreamt since the PokéGear (skins), but it didn't have any use offline.

-Apricorns and their respective Poké Balls
I found the Balls really useful, and (this goes with the Pokéathlon) I loved experimenting with Aprijuice. Call me weird, but I also liked collecting the Apricorns themselves.

-Game Corner
Anything! I loved all the games, even Voltorb Flip.

-Secret Bases
Even though I never used their multiplayer functions, they were still really fun to customise.

-Rebattling trainers/Gym Leaders
In any form. Either calling, or the Vs. Seeker. And something more like the Fighting Dojo/Battle Ground for the Gym Leaders.

-Seals
Another thing to customise to make your trainer and team even more unique.

Here are mine:

- Rematches
- Contests, those were really fun
- The hair stylist for all pokemon and not just furfrou. I'm not really sure if it had any use but it was fun. Maybe now they could have some simple accessories we could add to our pokemons if they didn't want to make different styles for all pokemon.
- Secret bases, I really miss those
- The game corner just because even though I don't think it's likely that they'll bring it back

- The hair stylist for all pokemon and not just furfrou. I'm not really sure if it had any use but it was fun. Maybe now they could have some simple accessories we could add to our pokemons if they didn't want to make different styles for all pokemon.

It raised happiness. I would also like that back, as well as the Massages from Daisy Oak.

-Battle Frontier
-Step Counter and other useful Poketch apps
-Trainer Rematches
-Gym Leader Rematches
-Pokemon following you

I don't understand why this was removed. The visual transition is still there. Other time based events still exist, so why not this?

It was removed in 5th gen because having both that and seasons would've been overwhelming for wild Pokemon encounters, there would be 12 different wild Pokemon rosters for a particular route, and some Pokemon would be ridiculously hard to find if they could only be encountered in a particular time of day AND a particular season. Can't really speak for 6th gen.

Pokemon Contests, but only if more intricacy were added. Never got into Contests really, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't pull off most of what was in the show.

Would also like to see more breed-only pokemon. Not babies or Phione, but a seperate evolutionary chain that can only be obtained by breeding 2 specific pokemon/types together. Some could be new pokemon, some alternative ways to obtain unobtainable pokemon, like breeding Squirtle with a grass type to get Turtwig.

Last edited:
I just thought of another one: mail. I don't think it's in X & Y, at least I haven't seen it so far. Maybe it's because it could cause problems now that you can trade with people you've never met in person, but I loved mail.

It raised happiness. I would also like that back, as well as the Massages from Daisy Oak.

Oh, yeah, I remember now.

Has this been removed completely? I find the same pokemon in the same areas but I seem to have higher chances of finding certain pokemon depending on the time of day. Pumpkaboo for example, people have reported there's a lower chance of it being found in X, but when I'm playing at night I find a lot of them but almost none during the day.

I just thought of another one: mail. I don't think it's in X & Y, at least I haven't seen it so far. Maybe it's because it could cause problems now that you can trade with people you've never met in person, but I loved mail.

Has this been removed completely? I find the same pokemon in the same areas but I seem to have higher chances of finding certain pokemon depending on the time of day. Pumpkaboo for example, people have reported there's a lower chance of it being found in X, but when I'm playing at night I find a lot of them but almost none during the day.

They removed mail? Add that to my list then!

I don't know for sure as I don't own XY. They might have thrown away seasons to this back. If it really is back to its former glory though, the Pokédex probably lists the three different times.

May just be my luck, but I'm sure it was harder to catch Oddish during the day. However, if time of day effects catch rates I don't think it has an effect on Sweet Scent/Honey hoards.

- I want my Ludicolo to follow me again! And my Absol, and other Pokemon. That was fun :3
- The Safari Zone. I don't have any friends to do Friend Safari with me, so I want something I can do on my own XD
- Dive! I wish that we got Dive in XY so we could dive in the Deep Water in Azure Bay. I hope they bring it back!
- Bug >> Poison and Poison >> Bug. I feel they should bring back when Bug and Poison were both Super-effective against each other :/

My 50 most missed removed features, with ideal modifications in brackets.

Replay value: 6v6 online, apprentice, Battle Frontier (all old plus new facilities, with Maison's leave-anytime option except for dungeon-like facilities), Battle Tents, contests, customisable home (whether a makeshift Secret Base or proper DW-style house), Funfest, Game Corner (with Shinies as prizes - both are luck-based after all - instead of TMs), Join Avenue shops, movies, rebattleable Trainers (without need for an item), Ribbon Syndicate (selling a new 9,999,999 ribbon), tides, timed battle facility (maybe as a Frontier facility), Underground, Unity Tower

Ability and move mechanics: Cut's effect on tall grass, Diving, Pickup items varying by location (ideally by environment: forest, urban, etc.)

Item mechanics: Apricorns and Apricorn Balls, Berry Pots, crafting (but without NPCs), event tickets and islands, free space pocket, Poké Ball pocket, items individually movable in Bag, Honey slathering (step-based not time-based), items being PC-storable, Mail, memo pad, step-counter, on-hand friendship checker, mud/rocks and bait (as an option for any wild encounter), Poffins, Radio, Running Shoes with autorun, Seals and Ball Capsules, Shuckle turning Berry Juice into Rare Candy, touch screen skins

Pokémon mechanics: Fewer IVs, flavour preferences listing, following Pokémon, full party photos, new Dex entries for old Pokémon, trading between generations

Trainer mechanics: Gym Leaders and E4 not being type purists, E4 dialogue music and Champion dialogue music, Artists using object-based Pokémon, Stat Trainers (old or new), other Trainers' names engraved on the Gym sign

Definitely the VS Seeker and having Pokemon follow you. I know that not everybody cared for that second feature, but having it return with a toggle so you could decide whether or not to have a Pokemon following you would be awesome.

I also miss a lot of the little touches that others have previously mentioned such as the radio, seasons, cut when used on tall grass, and other trainer's names being written on the statues in gyms. All very nice touches to the world.

Being able to buy elemental stones in a department store again. It was so convenient back in gen I. In Gen II, IV and V it's such a darn hassle to get a stone that you need.

A number of things I'd like to come back in Pokémon Z, X2/Y2:

Pokémon Musical/Contests - that would have been perfect for Tierno's dance stuff!
Join Ave - It would be great to have a street in Lumiose City grow on a more real-time basis and with player input. I suggest adding a new city/district resembling La Defense with a newly constructed road, and having the player help grow that main street.
Rematches - It would be great to have a buffed up 6vs6 rebattle against a gym leader, and I want to see a buffed up team for other trainers as well.
Champion Rival - They should have made Serena as the final boss/champion... It would have been great as character development.
PWT - That is one of the reasons why I am considering buying B2/W2 now...

A number of things I'd like to come back in the Hoenn remake:
Post-game Johto: This was one of the main reasons I didn't play Gen 3 and 4 games. I can understand the Unova/Kalos games not having a post-game region, because they are geographically so far away. For the Hoenn games, why am I not allowed to travel to Johto/Kanto when they are, surely, much easier to access? (I'm assuming Hoenn and Johto/Kanto are respectively Poke-Kyushu, and Poke-Osaka/Tokyo.)

Post-game Johto: This was one of the main reasons I didn't play Gen 3 and 4 games. I can understand the Unova/Kalos games not having a post-game region, because they are geographically so far away. For the Hoenn games, why am I not allowed to travel to Johto/Kanto when they are, surely, much easier to access? (I'm assuming Hoenn and Johto/Kanto are respectively Poke-Kyushu, and Poke-Osaka/Tokyo.)

No more multi region games, please.

I'd love to see the Pokemon Contests return, especially the RS versions' contests. They were my favorites of the two types. Pokemon following you around would be cool to have again. Everything else I'd prefer not to see again.

-Cut down grass
-Store items in PC
-Time display while battling
-Secret bases like in RSE
-Slot machines
-Vs. Seeker
-Shaking grass like in BW and BW2

Last edited:
I would love to have the Underground back. It was so much fun collecting so many items. I never realized how much Heart Scales were worth after D/P/Pt. I also loved the traps and playing tag with my friends.

I'd like to see the season come back. Mainly because I'd like to dress my character up according to the weather/season.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom