• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what should have been the heroes johto team

game3524

Reaction score
One of the main problem of johto in IMO is that the teams were to lackluster here is what I think should have been the gangs pokemon

Ash

Pikachu
Squritle
Bulbasaur
Charizard
Heracross
Bayleaf-Chikorita

Brock

Onix
Geadude
Zubat
Vulpix
Cyindquil
Donphan

Misty

Goldeen
Psyduck
Staryu
Politoad- poliwirl- poilwag
Corsola
Crocnaw-Totodile

what do u think?

Ash's Cyndaquil and Totodile really should have evolved. I have no idea why the writers were so into leaving Ash with cutesy unevolved forms back then. I mean Bulbasaur/Squirtle were badass so it didn't matter, but his Johto team wasn't.

Noctowl could have been really awesome but the writers had something against flying types back then too, which is why it only got 1 Gym battle and did relatively nothing but peck TR's balloon.

Then there is Phanpy, something that the writers fixed in Battle Frontier.

As for Misty/Brock, it honestly doesn't matter. The two of them were barely in any battles in Johto so we hardly saw their Pokemon do anything remotely interesting anyway. Besides, Misty's Poliwhirl was awesome and that was her star Pokemon for Johto, so I don't think she needed anything else considering she battled so rarely.

Last edited:
they should have spread the johto starters

Ashy

Pikachu
Kingler/ Heracross
Noctowl
Totodile
Quilava
Bayleaf

Brock, Since When Was He In The Show -.-

Onix

Misty

Goldeen
Psyduck
Staryu
Poilwag
Corsola

they should have spread the johto starters
Why? Before AG, the starters got the best spotlight by being with Ash.
Then there is Phanpy, something that the writers fixed in Battle Frontier.
What was wrong with Phanpy? It replaced the second grass-type, was one of the unique members of Ash's team and got focus as a young Pokémon. Battle Frontier is where it really suffered since it hardly did anything then.

.What was wrong with Phanpy? It replaced the second grass-type, was one of the unique members of Ash's team and got focus as a young Pokémon. Battle Frontier is where it really suffered since it hardly did anything then.

It came too late into the team, otherwise I loved Phanpy. The writers just gave it to Ash waaaay too late, Johto was being wrapped up at the time and Phanpy never had much of a chance to do anything.

That's probably why they brought it back in Battle Frontier, they wanted to tie up some loose ends with Phanpy and maybe even Donphan was planned from the beginning. Hell, they foreshadowed Ash with Donphan quite a number of times in Johto and Hoenn.

Why? Before AG, the starters got the best spotlight by being with Ash.

Yeah...and all of Ash's other dudes were left to rock. One of the best changes in AG is the splitting of Starters.

Yeah, and you can't say that Combusken and/or Piplup haven't gotten good spotlight.

The only starter that suffered from a lack of screentime was Mudkip. That's probably why the writers didn't repeat that mistake with D/P, and gave Chimchar to a rival instead of Brock.

Although since Shinji appears to be on hiatus for a while, Chimchar could end up suffering from a lack of screentime like Mudkip did. :/

splitting up ash's kanto pokemon in johto was a big mistake IMO. Ash's team lost personality until hoenn

Chikorita/Bayleef had a crush on Ash
Cyndaquil was sleepy at first
Totodile was crazy!
Phanpy was young
Noctowl had personality in its first episode

AG wasn't that far above Johto in Pokémon personality, certainly when put in comparison with DP.

AG wasn't that far above Johto in Pokémon personality, certainly when put in comparison with DP.

I disagree, I think the only Johto Pokemon of his that the writers did an excellent job with was Chikorita/Bayleef. Most of the other stuff you listed were quirks that in all honesty, weren't that interesting.

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile had its pride and arrogant attitude, it was probably focused the most of any of his AG Pokemon. It learned new moves like Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, Solarbeam, and it had a wide range of impressive battles. It was also the first grass type Ash had without the generic razor leaf/vine whip, so it was refreshing to see a bi-pedal gecko that could jump from tree to tree in battle.

Corphish, I believe, was what Totodile was meant to be. An outright funny and crazy water type. Except Corphish also had a lot of pride and arrogance. Remember how it got angry/jealous over Treecko, or how it had used to hit everyone with its pincers to say hello, had some crushes, and its voice (both dub and Japanese) was hilarious.

Swellow didn't have a personality but it was well-liked because it was the first flying type that was actually a powerhouse in battle. Instead of just using it to pop balloons, Swellow participated in a number of battles and was downright powerful. It was really the first example of a flying type being used to its full potential. I'm glad Staravia is a continuation of this.

Snorunt had its playful attitude but its a shame it wasn't around for too long. Glalie was really cool because it broke the stereotype of Ash having cute/unevolved Pokemon (that Johto stuff us with, sadly), and was Ash's fist real menacing looking Pokemon.

Torkoal was probably the least focused of his AG Pokemon, the crying was amusing but in all honesty Torkoal's personality wasn't done as well as it could have been. At least the writers redeemed it with its battle against Registeel.

As for his Johto team as I said Chikorita/Bayleef was really well done and on par with the AG personalities. The others had potential but they weren't as well done as his Kanto team, nor his AG team. Hopefully they do give Ash's Johto Pokemon a second round because they were all left out of Battle Frontier because I assume the writers don't care for them. :/

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom