• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What sold you to your favourite type?

I had to take some thought into what I liked about my favorite type and I realized at first I did not have a favorite type yet. There were certainly some candidates so I began to look into those.

In the end, I found out that Steel had the most profound reasoning for being my favorite. Steel tends to mean robots, science, and technology, at least to me, despite having only a few Pokemon of that kind. I really love these kinds of things, despite not being good with them (except I'm pretty good at learning new scientific concepts), since I always thought about how cool they are, or how innovative we can get. This brings me to Pokemon such as Metagross, Magnezone, and Klinklang, as well as some other non-robotic Pokemon such as Skarmory, which are among some of my favorites.

Steel types are also associated with two of my favorite in-game trainers: Steven Stone and Colress. Steven is my favorite champion of all time--he is the reason I love Metagross--and Colress is my favorite character from generation V, mostly due to his association with science, but there are definitely other reasons. While they have Pokemon of the non Steel type class as well, Steel seems to be a major theme on their teams (Steven Stone himself even says his favorite TM is Steel Wing).

Just as a little fun fact about myself, my middle name actually has to do with steel (if I remember correctly that is). Though it's actually more associated with iron but I guess it's close enough. Steel is also the persistent type, it's meant to take hits and survive, in the Pokemon world anyway, and I see myself as one who can persist past most obstacles and move on.

There were other candidates, but Steel came out on top. Here are the reasons for some of the others:

Fire: Mostly just due to Blaziken, my favorite Pokemon
Flying: I love birds in real life and many bird Pokemon end up here
Dragon: They tend to be fierce and powerful, and not to mention useful in battle
Ice: One of my old VGC teams which almost won originated from members of this type (Glaceon, Abomasnow among others)

My favourite type is the dark type. The reasoning is simple.

I like types that have immunities, as well as types that do not have other types immune to them. Out of all the choices left, dark type seems to be the most practical option for me.

Also, dark types don't seem to have a unified theme. Nowadays they don't all look "evil", so really, any future pokemon that looks cool/shady/mysterious/otherworldly could just be given a dark type, which means dark type pokemon designs could get more diverse.

My favorites are Psychic, Grass, and Normal. Psychic because I'm a 'cerebral' person, Grass because I'm a nature lover and I like the designs, and Normal because paradoxically they are both bland and unique.

Last edited:
Fire is my fave Gen I type because I usually think the fire type starter is the cutest (the only exceptions being Charmander and Tepig). It was my favorite type until Gen 6 came along, when the most badass steel types came along, such as the Honedge line. Mega Scizor was the kicker, as it improves on my favorite bug type, both design-wise and the fact that it is stronger than Normal (Non-Life Orb Technician) Scizor. These are my two fave mons, my third being the big badass bird of prey Talonflame

I used to like Ice and Water types, because I love the ocean and all that stuff, but I've been sold on Dark and Psychic types, mainly because all that fancy supernatural stuff is cool. I like the unique designs of Psychic types (Meowstic <3), and Dark types just look all fancy and nasty (Purrloin! Sneasel!).

well, I like the ocean and sealife, so it's not exactly a surprise that I like a lot of water types. Fairly simple reason. My favorite water type is definitely sharpedo, and I like omastar, starmie, jellicent m, barbaracle, and a good amount of others too.

Psychic types are my favorite, I love the supernatural concept and their telepathic abilities, plus they usually have a great design. I'm also a big fan of grass types because of their connection with nature, and generally because I have a soft spot for pkmn that are generally considered underrated

My favorite type is grass, I think I was originally sold to the fact it seemed like an underdog type with so many weaknesses. But over time I grew to love the versatility the type has to offer. And besides that I find the color green which is not only my favorite color, but flowers and plants as well to be very soothing.

Espeon.

I used to prefer Water-types, but, then, I decided I had the most reason to like Psychic-types; there were several Psychic-type Pokémon I already enjoyed, such as Starmie, Alakazam, and Lugia, but the thing that won me over was Espeon.

I like a lot of things about fairies, but the thing that sold me was that they we SE against dragon. Also, I love fairy-typed Togekiss.

Water is my favorite type because I've always had an interest in marine biology. Grass is probably second because of my love for the starters: Venusaur, Sceptile, and Torterra. Psychic is third solely because I'll always genwun all over Mewtwo. Fairy gets an honorable mention for making me like Azumarill and Togekiss.

I actually love Fairy types. I find them really cute and girly, it's like they are trying to make more girls play Pokemon.
They are also not weak! I mean, look at Gardevoir, Azumarill and Sylveon-- they can be really powerful.

Hmmm, it's a tough choice but my all time favorite type has to be Fairy. I love fairies and the folklore and literature around fairies, and while they're hella weak against steel types it makes sense, because fairies in folklore tended to be weak against iron. I really like a lot of the fairy concepts that have been shown in the fairy pokemon especially with Spritzee and Xernes. I really hope that the Pokemon team branches out with fairy type pokemon.

I also love bug types, I really appreciated their strength in gen V with Joltik and Volcanora. I also just really love bugs and the whole premise of pokemon was brought about with the creators love go bug catching in his childhood.

When I first feasted my eyes on Volcarona in all it's majesticness (I actually got the Larvesta up to lvl 59), i was hooked. Now he's lvl 80. Virizion is a Muskedeer. Come on. And ditto is a blob. Murder Moths, Muskedeers, and (The) Blobs! Seriously though Fighting, Grass Fire Bug and sometimes ghost are all cool.

My favorite type will always be fire! Back at gen 1 I picked Charmander, and of course, evolved it into Charizard. Since then, I always picked the fire starters, because they looked cool. But the other fire types(Infernape will always be my favorite though :p) like Darmanitan are great in the games :p

Always like the ocean, so I use a lot of water types (often starter).

I've had a real admiration for bug types recently. They have a fair movepool, and lots of ways to mess with your opponent. Also, they make great Pokemon for handling the earlier gyms. I doubt there's been a playthrough where I didn't have a butterfree or masquerain.

I initially liked Dragons in Gen II because dragons, at that point, were associated with ideas like the impenetrable depths of the ocean. I really enjoyed that sense of mysterious wonder.

Poison/Grass/Bug

All three of these types are thought to be weak but can actually be quite strong when a trainer understands how to use them. If I had to choose one it would be poison though, they are the most beautiful pokemon to me...ever since Nidoran and Ekans I was hooked. :)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom