• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What starter should I choose for Sword/Shield?

PokeRangerMari

Reaction score
Today I will be getting my copy of pokemon sword. This time around I want a challenge, so what starter should I choose to make it the most difficult? Thank you so much!

Welcome! Sadly the game is one of the easiest in the franchise, if you want a real challenge you have to keep your Pokemon unevolved or avoid items and Super Effective moves.

However, Grookey is neutral to the first gym and very weak to the third gym, not very effective on Steel-types (which appear a lot in the game) and very weak to the Champions' ace, so that would be my answer.

taking Inteleons new move scale shot with expansion pass .. the lack of poison type coverage is totally weird still... a lot of ice but no poison? weird....

Rillaboom with grassy glide and its ability has a stab coverage priority move, very strong and better then sucker punch or fake out taking ghost types... now sap sipper help...

cinderace got Scorching sands what makes a lot of coverage now

Welcome! Sadly the game is one of the easiest in the franchise

Crazy how people say this when SM/USUM exist.

ANyways, pick who you like, but personally, I'd go Grookey. Rillaboom has the coolest design with a good enough movepool to match. I used INteleon myself who's fine, but the movepool is so lacking it hurts.

And make sure not to do too many raids and if you do, to not use the candies.

1. Scorbunny is the best starter being Super effective against Gym 1, neutral on Gym 3, access to fighting moves gives it a boost in 6 (both versions) and 7, as well as being the only starter that isnt weak to Duraludon. Also Scorbunny Super effective against Macro Cosmos, and Rose, as well as fighting again helping with Team Yell.

2. Grookey is neutral to Gym 1 and SE against Gym 2. Neutral throughout the rest pretty much until Gym 8.

3. Sobble has a very rough start against Milo, and things don't really improve too much, Gym 3 its Super effective obviously, but after that isnt very useful until Gym 6 If you playing sword, if playing shield will still be tough then)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom