• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What things do you think Pokemon games ought to be based around in the future?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
I was thinking about ideas that Pokemon main series games have been based around in the past and was inspired to create this thread. If something like this already exists I apologize but this is supposed to cover all games and is a broad topic.

Pokemon games have included various concepts, for example Black/White and the concept of Yin/Yang/Balance. There are many concepts however that probably have not been explored by Game Freak. What do you think Pokemon games ought to incorporate in terms of inspiration and what they are based around?

Black and White covered a lot of themes: Yin/Yang, Truth/Ideals, Nature/Technology, Tradition/Modernity etc. Some possible themes they can cover in the future could be: Good/Evil, Life/Death, Expectations/Reality, War/Peace, etc.

I was thinking about ideas that Pokemon main series games have been based around in the past and was inspired to create this thread. If something like this already exists I apologize but this is supposed to cover all games and is a broad topic.

Pokemon games have included various concepts, for example Black/White and the concept of Yin/Yang/Balance. There are many concepts however that probably have not been explored by Game Freak. What do you think Pokemon games ought to incorporate in terms of inspiration and what they are based around?

I think something maybe that's based on the Natural and Supernatural aspects of life. The Natural part would include things like nature and things that have an explanation and that humans can fully understand. The Supernatural part would deal with things out of the norm like spirits and ghost and what not and whether or not they are just things of the human imagination. Also a third for a future game would deal with the Unnatural aspects of life and things that are real but are extremely rare like albinism and certain defects or mutations and also things that are debatable like supposed psychic abilities in humans.

What do you think?

Good/Evil and Life/Death is something I might like to see explored, and I think it might make for some more in depth plots like BW had, Im sure they could bring it to the games in an interesting way that is easily understandable for both children and more mature audiences.

War VS Diplomacy, Athens Sparta style. Give us 2 evil teams again, and go all out with non philosophical basis legends, with the main mon being an Ares based mon, an Athena based mon, and the trio master being a Zeus mon. Then use the rest of the gods as basis for the other legendaries, and perhaps throw in some roman extensions for a good amount of legendary awesomeness.

War VS Diplomacy, Athens Sparta style. Give us 2 evil teams again, and go all out with non philosophical basis legends, with the main mon being an Ares based mon, an Athena based mon, and the trio master being a Zeus mon. Then use the rest of the gods as basis for the other legendaries, and perhaps throw in some roman extensions for a good amount of legendary awesomeness.

I'm now picturing a Pokémon that has a signature kicking move called 'THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!' OHKO :lol:

But seriously, this sounds totally awesome! I would love to at least see legends like the ones described in future games!

It feels like Good/Evil is already incorporated into pretty much every main game already, with the battle between the player and the evil team and all. I guess they can always expand it further into the Pokemon themselves, though.

I would like to see more puzzles and knowledge-based solutions to how to deal with evil teams instead of just crushing them with overwhelming power using your Pokemon, if that were possible, or more mini-games, like Scrabble and word games and the like. I do like the idea of having Athens VS Sparta, diplomacy versus brute force.

I was thinking just that a few days ago and I came up with two ideas.

1 Free will, I would like a game that explored the natue of free will, involving also choices and taking consequences to the choices made, I'll try to use a vdeogame as an example, hopefully you'll understand:

There's this one character, most of her magic has been sapped by a demon that used to be her friend, as a consequence, she is rapidly aging and is nearing death at only 26, her friend insists that they enlist the player's help to save her, however, she does not want to take her powers back, because she is in love with said demon, and since he is using her powers to bring about the world he always envisioned, she's not going to interfere with his free will, her friend then declares that she and the player are going to kill the demon, and when they ask if she's not gonna try and stop them, she simply says that this is also their free will, and that she won't interfere with that.

I think this is both touching and a tad depressing, but I'd like to see what they could do with it.

2 Long-lasting feuds, I thought of a region whose two sides hate eachother and have been in conflict for thousands of years, however, nowadays, they don't even seem to remember what got them to fight in the first place, and the fighting continues for the sake of fighting. I's like to see how your character could change that and it would be pretty difficult and challenging.

I forgot to mention this, but I have always wanted to have an ability to join an evil Team (either Team Rocket, Team Aqua, or Team Plasma) within a game to see how that would change the game play scenario. I think it would be exciting! But there would probably be drawbacks, too. Perhaps once you were identified as a member you would be unable to use Pokemon Centers or Poke Marts and have to concoct shady underground trading deals...

What about the idea of Illusion vs Reality?

Double-crossing friends, the player character being an unknowing pawn in a master plan, a gym leader that is not actually a gym leader but a TR recruiter, you know the kind of stuff. I don't know how to split the idea into 2 games, though, as my line of thinking would have the player character discovering the "Reality" themed legendary and having to fight against the "Illusion" themed one.

I remember having an idea of a region being occupied by an evil organization and the player character being in a sort of resistance rising up against the oppression. Not really sure how they could make it work well for a Pokémon game plot but it sounds fun and interesting in my mind. So the key words of it would probably be "freedom, rights and equality" or "freedom vs oppression" or something similar.

Borrowing Silktree's (happy B-day btw!) idea, I'd like to see determinism vs free will for an idea concept. Out of many ideas, this one really fits the franchise and would be fun to have an entire quest where we actually choose or have more of an option of what we can do. The legendaries would probably be philosophical based concepts, and we have the potential for some truly mind screwy things when we debate whether an action was truly our own or not.

Other than that, I'd be interested in: Romanticism Versus Enlightenment - Television Tropes & Idioms

I know that Black/White sort of touched on a few things regarding it, but that didn't seem like the overall theme and it was never really referenced or even touched upon that much save for the Opelucid City difference.

One version, villain team, and legendary based on the enlightenment: logic, reason, scientific advancement and an entire storyline specific to it.
The other version, villain team, and legendary based on the romanticism movement: chaos, passion, magical-fantasy themed and an entire storyline specific to this version.

They would practically be two different games, but set in the same region with "mostly" the same characters influenced greatly by what movement they are apart of.

What about the idea of Illusion vs Reality?

Double-crossing friends, the player character being an unknowing pawn in a master plan, a gym leader that is not actually a gym leader but a TR recruiter, you know the kind of stuff. I don't know how to split the idea into 2 games, though, as my line of thinking would have the player character discovering the "Reality" themed legendary and having to fight against the "Illusion" themed one.

That sounds a bit too similar to Ideals versus Truth.

Back
Top Bottom