• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What time period do you think this generation will take place in?

Nothing will stop the sobbing.

And I liked the Sabrina redesign too, but I'd say (barring the bracelets), she went less sci-fi (or Syfy, if you are a douche).

I really don't understand the general objection to using time travel as a plot device akin to the Distortion World. If it were up to me, being able to explore the new region in two very different time periods would be the alternative for having two separate regions in the story. Failing that, the story climax taking place in the past would suffice.

Movie 11's Reversed World foreshadowed the introduction of the Distortion World in Platinum. Similarly, it could be that the time ripples in the upcoming movie are meant to prepare us for something in the next games. The thing about time ripples is that Celebi doesn't have to be present for them to take effect, which could be very convenient.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the general objection to using time travel as a plot device akin to the Distortion World. If it were up to me, being able to explore the new region in two very different time periods would be the alternative for having two seaparate regions in the story. Failing that, the story climax taking taking place in the past would suffice.

I actually do like this, except if they did something like it then it would have to do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Ages, where what you do in the past effects the world of the present. Perhaps as an alternative to HMs?

And any trips to the past would need to involve the people who discovered/made (I'm beginning to think they made) the Unown.

And Celebi would have, have, have to be an in-game legendary.

I actually do like this, except if they did something like it then it would have to do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Ages, where what you do in the past effects the world of the present. Perhaps as an alternative to HMs?
That idea was recently suggested by the editors of Nintendo Dream magazine. Or rather, they suggested that time travel could be a new HM, which they admitted was problematic because few Pokémon would be able to use it.

And any trips to the past would need to involve the people who discovered/made (I'm beginning to think they made) the Unown.
Why do you think they made them? The only indication is that they built the Ruins of Alph to protect the Unown. At any rate, those people left Johto to the region where the Sinjoh Ruins are situated, because Johto was growing too populated. Do they have descendants in the new region, or was their knowledge never passed on?

And Celebi would have, have, have to be an in-game legendary.
If the Azure Flute is distributed via Wi-Fi this year (and I see no reason why not), I definitely think that Celebi should follow suit next year before the new event Pokémon take over (in July 2011). The only event Pokémon yet to be distributed via Wi-Fi are Arceus and Celebi.

I really don't understand the general objection to using time travel as a plot device akin to the Distortion World. If it were up to me, being able to explore the new region in two very different time periods would be the alternative for having two separate regions in the story. Failing that, the story climax taking place in the past would suffice.

I like the idea of the two regions being one region...past and present...as well. In fact, that was my idea I'm using in my little Gen V Blog.

Basically, after you beat the E4, you explore the region in the past with different Gym Leaders/ Pokemon layout/ and altered area. Although, the past I had in mind was a feudal-Japan styled era. For example, one town in the present holds the Grass-Gym and is a farming community, but in the past the area's a huge lake home to the Dragon Gym Leader (this being based off the real-life story/myth of Hachirogata in Tohoku).

That idea was recently suggested by the editors of Nintendo Dream magazine. Or rather, they suggested that time travel could be a new HM, which they admitted was problematic because few Pokémon would be able to use it.

Dialga, too. I traded mine over from platinum to soulsilver last night, and its dex entry mentions being able to move freely through time.... Y'know, it'd be cool if they explained Celebi as, like, Dialga's sidekick, or the Silver Surfer to his Galactus.... yes.

Why do you think they made them? The only indication is that they built the Ruins of Alph to protect the Unown.

That was actually confusion on my part. I just finished up the Unowns last night too, but before that I was working under the belief that the Unown were born from the Not-Quite-Yet-Ruins Alph, instead of the NQYRs of Alph being built for the Unown. And I still do NOT get all the references to the Builders of Alph building a singular, specific statue.

If the Azure Flute is distributed via Wi-Fi this year (and I see no reason why not), I definitely think that Celebi should follow suit next year before the new event Pokémon take over (in July 2011). The only event Pokémon yet to be distributed via Wi-Fi are Arceus and Celebi.

Was Mew distributed in the States via Wi-Fi? Or are the Wi-Fi events worldwide?

And I really wish they would announce the dates of the distributions further ahead of time.

i think we shoul have old classic towns like say celectic town and more up beat towns like golden rod. so it could be a more modern time but in the time frame of say mid r/s/e to d/p/pt?

The same pattern continued in the third and fourth generations, which were respectively synonymous with the first and second.

LIES!

Or to be more specific, FANON! This has never been proven in-game. Some fans just think this is the truth (which hasn't been proven.).

All we know is:

G/S is 3 years after RBGY.
XD is 5 years after Colosseum.

Basically, after you beat the E4, you explore the region in the past with different Gym Leaders/ Pokemon layout/ and altered area. Although, the past I had in mind was a feudal-Japan styled era. For example, one town in the present holds the Grass-Gym and is a farming community, but in the past the area's a huge lake home to the Dragon Gym Leader (this being based off the real-life story/myth of Hachirogata in Tohoku).
That sounds nice and I salute the initiative. However, I really don't want to see Gyms be part of the story after the Elite Four (I think that Generation II Kanto suffered because of relying on them so much). In fact, I'd like to see them be relegated to a secondary quest altogether. But even if that is asking for too much, the post-Elite Four story should be devoid of Gyms, as was the case for FRLG and DPPt.

The games could really benefit from a wide array of characters whose Pokémon don't follow any particular theme.

Keegman said:
And I still do NOT get all the references to the Builders of Alph building a singular, specific statue.
It's a mystery to which the answer has not been provided. All we know is that each statue depicts an ancient Pokémon (they may be copies of each other), and the scientists are apparently unable to identify them (or it). I think it is obvious that the Pokémon are not those from the sliding panels (Kabuto, Omastar, Aerodactyl and Ho-Oh), since those are not made out to be a big deal. Likewise, the HGSS statues' resemblance to Rhydon probably doesn't mean anything.

Was Mew distributed in the States via Wi-Fi? Or are the Wi-Fi events worldwide?
No. But PUSA have been mimicking Japan's events for the entirety of Generation IV, so it is probably just a waiting game. I'm more concerned about the fact that the Jirachi distribution was limited to Gamespot, but the same thing happened with the shiny Pichu at first, which was later distributed via Wi-Fi.

I'm more concerned about the fact that the Jirachi distribution was limited to Gamespot, but the same thing happened with the shiny Pichu at first, which was later distributed via Wi-Fi.

In general I loath GameStop, but I went in to get Jirachi and reserve SS, and while I was there the guy working also gave us (there were three other guys who showed up when I did) legit Shaymin, Darkrai, Regigigas, Deoxys, and a Ditto.

It was a good day.

I think we're heading toward the future in a new region :D

P.S. I didn't read all of the posts that are in this thread, so don't jump at me if this has been said before *looks to left and looks to right <_< >_>*

It'll just take place X years after the last generation, like every other. Unless you have an official statement saying otherwise.
Also; the anime just wouldn't cope with time travel.

Also; the anime just wouldn't cope with time travel.
The anime ignored Generation II Kanto, six of the Sevii Islands and, barring unexpected changes, the Battle Zone. For that matter, it did nothing with the Distortion World (in the actual series; the movies have proven very capable of handling time travel, so it is a moot point). Why does it have any bearing on this discussion?

As long as the distant past is not the only time period in the games, the anime will be free to continue in the same mundane direction.

Last edited:
That sounds nice and I salute the initiative. However, I really don't want to see Gyms be part of the story after the Elite Four (I think that Generation II Kanto suffered because of relying on them so much). In fact, I'd like to see them be relegated to a secondary quest altogether. But even if that is asking for too much, the post-Elite Four story should be devoid of Gyms, as was the case for FRLG and DPPt.

The games could really benefit from a wide array of characters whose Pokémon don't follow any particular theme.

Well, I was thinking the Gyms would be more of an option...in fact, my idea was that you could complete any of the post-E4 Gyms in any order that you like.

But the game's "villain" plot would continue throughout the post-game and would act independently, for the most part, compared to your progress through the post-game's Gym.

I'd say that they're going to make a brand-new time period this Generation, and the RSEmakes will be a complete retcon of the originals (make Wally our starting rival, please). That would be the best bet. Otherwise, if they go 3 years into the past (again), it would end up getting very redundant...

Back to R/B/Y time period baby.
R/S/E is that way.
<----------------

the RSEmakes will be a complete retcon of the originals (make Wally our starting rival, please).
Wally would be a better rival if he weren't so damn spineless.
I like him though...
THAT'S NOT A FUCKING GOOD THING.
Where the hell does he run off to for most of the game? Does he run back home to hide under his bed when he sees the big bad Magmas coming? LAAAAAAAAME.

They need to add a second rival. I don't care who it is or what their gender is, but they should be chaotic neutral at least.

They need to add a second rival. I don't care who it is or what their gender is, but they should be chaotic neutral at least.

No, what they need to do is add a Pokemon rival, like the Suicune to you Eusine. It could be the version mascot, even. But a pokemon you run into over and over, always knocks away your pokeballs when you fight, and only decides to join your team after an epic double battle where you have to team up.

And if they made it talk, then it could lament its lack of pants, a la Slowking.

Gen V is gonna be a Steampunk epic.

ndv4ih.jpg

You heard it here first, folks.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom