• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What time period do you think this generation will take place in?

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
In the jump from the first generation to the second generation, three years passed.

The same pattern continued in the third and fourth generations, which were respectively synonymous with the first and second.

In HeartGold/SoulSilver, a new region is referenced. It is said that this new region is the connection between Johto and Sinnoh and why both of these regions follow similar legends. It is believes that this region is based on the Tōhoku region.

If this is the case, I believe it's possible that they are keeping a trilogy of games on the DS that interconnect with one another via similar beliefs and history. If this is the case, it would not surprise me if these games took place during the same time period as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

The other two possibilities are that these games will either continue three years later, or that they will continue the pattern and go back three years again. If Ruby and Sapphire remakes are in the pipeline, I can see the games going back three years once more, unless of course they wish to either retcon Ruby and Sapphire's place in the timeline. The other possibility is that a single generation does not represent a certain timeline. However, I don't believe Ruby and Sapphire remakes are really needed unless of course this generation is another reboot, but being on the DS this is unlikely.

What do you guys think?

Not sure, but I'd like to go back in the past

"Back in my day, our pokedex was a notebook. and we wrote it by hand."

With the evidence you just presented. I'm going to hop inboard and say the same time as DPPt and HGSS!

I would have liked if Cyrus was involved it to be sometime in the future from Platinum. A few years. Ten or so.
But a past one would be nice. Or maybe it could be set in the future but you can travel to the past and you meet people from the current games?

I'm gonna go on a limb and say it takes place 3 years after HGSSDPt and something like the Time Capsule will explain how you're able to trade/transfer your old Pokemon onto the new games.

I just have this feeling they'll start anew.

It couldn't be the same time as DPPt/HGSS, since that would remove the convenient excuse for why you can't trade Gen V pokemon to either game. No, it'll be easier for them to invent some new time period a few years after DPPt.

It couldn't be the same time as DPPt/HGSS, since that would remove the convenient excuse for why you can't trade Gen V pokemon to either game. No, it'll be easier for them to invent some new time period a few years after DPPt.

You know, I'd rather they just not bother making an excuse and just throw trading away as "just another game mechanic"

I feel that three years are not going to cut it this time (especially not in the backward direction), and that staying in the current time period would be akin to saying that there is nothing truly new about this generation.

My suggestion is the ancient past - roughly 1000 years before the modern time period. We would see the people of the Ruins of Alph and Spear Pillar migrate to the new region, for the simple reason that the player would be one of them. At the beginning of the game, we would no longer just have to choose between a boy and a girl, but also between Johto and Sinnoh as the home region.

The problem with this idea is that much of Pokémon's gameplay is based on modern items and technology. Poké Balls have an ancient counterpart, but doing this with all the other items would probably be going too far. Unless Game Freak are truly prepared to reinvent almost everything aside from the Pokémon and their statistics, the modern period still has to play a role in the games. But that does not mean that the storyline can't revolve around the ancient past, and by that I am not just referring to the player's origin, but specifically to the story climax. I would like for most of the legendary Pokémon to be encountered in the past, as well.

Gyms and other such features would be found in the futuristic period, but the player's main goal would pertain to the story in the past. Of course, time travel would have to be involved.

Last edited:
An entire new region is not referenced - one shrine is seen.

I don't have any guesses as to when the time period will be, though I'd like to see it taking place further into the future.

Unown Lord, you really should stop living in the past. We all know they aren't going to do 1000 years ago.

I'd like to see us progress into the future some more, maybe another two or three years. The thing with GSC was it was a sequel to RBY and that we could learn how the world had changed over that time. I'd like to see that again.

I feel that three years are not going to cut it this time (especially not in the backward direction), and that staying in the current time period would be akin to saying that there is nothing truly new about this generation.

My suggestion is the ancient past - roughly 1000 years before the modern time period. We would see the people of the Ruins of Alph and Spear Pillar migrate to the new region, for the simple reason that the player would be one of them. At the beginning of the game, we would no longer just have to choose between a boy and a girl, but also between Johto and Sinnoh as the home region.

The problem with this idea is that much of Pokémon's gameplay is based on modern items and technology. Poké Balls have an ancient counterpart, but doing this with all the other items would probably be going too far. Unless Game Freak are truly prepared to reinvent almost everything aside from the Pokémon and their statistics, the modern period still has to play a role in the games. But that does not mean that the storyline can't revolve around the ancient past, and by that I am not just referring to the player's origin, but specifically to the story climax. I would like for most of the legendary Pokémon to be encountered in the past, as well.

Gyms and other such features would be found in the futuristic period, but the player's main goal would pertain to the story in the past. Of course, time travel would have to be involved.

I'd prefer the future. The past offers nothing of relevance aside from Legendary Pokemon origins, and we've had too much monopolizing of the franchise by the Legendary Pokemon already. Also, I don't want to play The Legend of Dragon Quest Pokemon Fantasy. As I said in many other topics, if you want an epic story in a medieval world, please go play ANY other RPG but Pokemon.

But it's not going to happen, either way. Know why? The anime. It makes money. It has to loosely follow the plot of the games. It needs to keep Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket in it to keep making money.

So a time skip to the future or past will NOT be coming in a Pokemon game until the anime has been canceled or rebooted entirely.

Zeta said:
But it's not going to happen, either way. Know why? The anime. It makes money. It has to loosely follow the plot of the games. It needs to keep Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket in it to keep making money.

So a time skip to the future or past will NOT be coming in a Pokemon game until the anime has been canceled or rebooted entirely.
The anime is very selective when it comes to game material. The reset in Generation III didn't affect it whatsoever, and legnedary Pokémon are featured in the games habitats only when it suits the writers. The story, which in previous generations was about the villainous teams, receives eight episodes of screentime at best.

If the setting of the games is divided between two periods (as the setting of the Generation II games was divided between two regions), the anime writers can choose to focus on the modern one. Whatever they do with the story climax is up to them.

I'm torn, three years ahead of HGSSDPP would be interesting, but equally so would RSEFRLGs time period. Maybe they won't reboot and even numbered gens will be contemporaneous with HGSSDPP and vice versa for odd numbered gens.

I say it should start during Generation I/III. You get your starter Pokémon very early. You have some adventures in town and some what. Because you are not allowed to train yet. Then it goes to the time period of Generation II/IV. You are ten years old. But that would likely not happen.

If they make a R/S remake, this generation will take place the same time as I/III. Hopefully they won't (graphics aren't that much better), and then the generation will probably take place sometime after II/IV.

Hmm.

Before I get to my point, has anyone realized why HGSS/DPPt are 3 years after RSE/FRLG?
It's not some random number; it's because GSC is 3 years after RGB.
And GSC is 3 years after RGB simply because; RGB was released in 1996; GSC was released in 1999.
That's 3 years apart, we're dealing with realistic logical numbers here.

That said, as interesting as it would be, I highly doubt we see the past, with the exception being any sort of flashback.

No, these new games will be 4 years after DP; 2006 + 4 years = 2010

The anime has little effect on the game story, a little, but not much.
The galaxy gang's story was in what, <15 episodes of the DP series which is going 200, is it not?

The games will be set in the present, though I doubt a specific year is given.

If they make a R/S remake, this generation will take place the same time as I/III. Hopefully they won't (graphics aren't that much better), and then the generation will probably take place sometime after II/IV.
I mentioned this a bit in this thread; but that's exactly why any sort of game set in Houen should be set in Houen, but not a remake of RS, it'll preserve the timeline.

I can accept the premise that GSC/HGSS is contemporary with DPPt due to Crasher Wake and Maylene's appearances, but where and when was it established that Ruby/Sapphire was contemporary with Red and Blue (and the remakes, obviously)? Are we just going by the fact that they were in the same generation as the remakes, or were there overt references to such?

Personally, I like to see previous characters showing up, either just as cameos (see Crasher Wake and Maylene, again), or getting to see them growing up, and RSE disappointed me in that regard, while DPPt only gave us Jasmine. My hope is that any new games will be set after a passing of time, so both of these things can happen.

I can accept the premise that GSC/HGSS is contemporary with DPPt due to Crasher Wake and Maylene's appearances, but where and when was it established that Ruby/Sapphire was contemporary with Red and Blue (and the remakes, obviously)? Are we just going by the fact that they were in the same generation as the remakes, or were there overt references to such?

Personally, I like to see previous characters showing up, either just as cameos (see Crasher Wake and Maylene, again), or getting to see them growing up, and RSE disappointed me in that regard, while DPPt only gave us Jasmine. My hope is that any new games will be set after a passing of time, so both of these things can happen.

The fact that the games are trade able between each other is the primary reason. Also I think like Lynette's and Bill's references to each other.

This is something that's been brought up ever since the idea of RS remakes, but if remakes keep happening every pokemon game is going to fall into either Kanto timeline or Johto timeline so that they are able to trade between each other. I wouldn't mind this game being like 20 years before everything else, I'd prefer it at least to something in a later timeline. Problem with that though is the anime wouldn't sync up, if we were to have like younger versions of some current gym leaders or E4 members.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom