• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What time period do you think this generation will take place in?

If it's at least 20 Minutes into the future, I'll be fine. Please move on with the 'timeline', Game Freak.

7 years after the gen 1 timeline, as I said.
I think you missed my post.
Why 7 years? If you're saying since RS; then it'd be 8, RS was released November 2002.
Why 7 years?

Game Freak isn't pulling numbers out of their ass holes; there's logic and reasoning behind everything.
To suggest a number simply because you like it is foolish.

So again, if you're counting the years after RS, the number is 8.
'03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09,'10
1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1+ 1= 8

And at any rate, I doubt they move forward in reference to RSEFRLG,, much of the new audience won't have played those games, they'll count the years after DP, which is 4.

4 years after DP is equivalent to 8 years after RSEFRLG, but is expressed in different ways

Did Emerald technically take place "after" Ruby and Sapphire? Or at least, later? I ask because Wallace and Juan.

Did Emerald technically take place "after" Ruby and Sapphire? Or at least, later? I ask because Wallace and Juan.

I haven't a clue. I suppose that technically they do, though in my opinion, Emerald "overrides" RS, likewise Platinum "overrides" DP.

This idea that the 3rd Version is the Canon version makes sense, but since Crystal had minimal differences from GS, aside from the Suicune and Unown whatnots.
Therefore, there's really no way to "prove" this theory, and unless we recieve RSE or DPPt remakes we'll probably never know.

That said, since the primary plots of the games are the same, I don't think it matters exactly which one is canon in regards to the timeline for BW or any future games that aren't sequels to said game.

The way I see it, even if they change the story in a third versions/remake by the slightest bit; that game takes over as being canonical to the time-line. It just makes more sense that way.

Are you seriously asking if the same exact chain of events happen twice with little time between?

Dude, I don't begin to imagine what sort of convoluted timeline some people have imagined so it all makes sense.

Oh, for the love of chronological confusion...

This isn't about the games that came before! It's about what comes next! *facepalm*

As far as I'm concerned, the series, like the Zelda and Mario series, HAS. NO. TIMELINE. At least, not in the games. In fact, if it weren't for the occasional crossover character and Professor Oak being in every damn game, I wouldn't even think they were in the same frickin' universe. So it doesn't matter if this game is [x] after the other, or if game [x] is between games [y] and [z].

For Pete's sake, people! It doesn't matter what happened before! It does matter what'll happen next.

Personally, I hope that the next games aren't even remotely connected to any of the generations chronologically, just for the sheer hilarity of it.

But since I believe in a fair discussion of all points, I will leave you all to your speculative discussion.

Sorry, but I disagree. :bash: I'd hate to see Ethan, Dawn, Lucas, Pearl, Leaf, or Lyra to go. EDIT: And screw Zelda too, no offense.

Last edited:
Hm. A few years ahead won't be so bad. Just as long as I get to trade over my other Pokemon, which I will. So.:cheers:

I hope they put it in the middle of the 3 years that divide Gen I and II to explain in detail what happened to some stuff. Gym changes, Cinnabar Island explosion, how steel and dark was "discovered"

I hope they put it in the middle of the 3 years that divide Gen I and II to explain in detail what happened to some stuff. Gym changes, Cinnabar Island explosion, how steel and dark was "discovered"

Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all...

going with that,it would be nice if the player destroys the island.

In between the 2 gen splits, 3 years after Sinnoh/Johto, or 3 years before Kanto/Hoenn

Not sure, but I'd like to go back in the past

"Back in my day, our pokedex was a notebook. and we wrote it by hand."

That would be brilliant. The Pokemon's image replaced with a sketch and the big menu of Pokemon would a contents page.

The game is too futuristic to be set in the past. I'd say 5-20 years in the future.

Going by what we have seen of the current screenshots so far, I think it's pretty safe to say that the games are more than likely taking place after D/P/Pt.

Dude, I don't begin to imagine what sort of convoluted timeline some people have imagined so it all makes sense.

It's not really..convoluted. Gold/Silver/Crystal (and, by extension, their remakes) were set three years after Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (and, by extension, THEIR remakes); we know this since in-game significant changes occurred in Kanto, and several Rocket members mention it's been three years since Team Rocket was disbanded. Furthermore, Generation II was released three years in real-life after Generation I. Generation III can be considered contemporaneous with Generation I, since the remakes (FR/LG) were released in Generation III, and Bill and Lanette specifically mention each other (although, that's weak evidence, but that's all I can remember?!). And we know Generation II occurs at the same time as the events of Generation IV due to both the remake link and the connection between the recent appearance of the Red Gyarados in Johto and the motivation to head to the nearby Lake...

From the screenshots, it looks a lot more high-tech then Sinnoh or Johto. And wasn't Sinnoh the region with the best tech at the time? Or some of it.

So it's probably some time in the future.

From the screenshots, it looks a lot more high-tech then Sinnoh or Johto. And wasn't Sinnoh the region with the best tech at the time? Or some of it.

So it's probably some time in the future.

I agree. Maybe 5-10 years after the events that took place in Sinnoh?

It's not really..convoluted. Gold/Silver/Crystal (and, by extension, their remakes) were set three years after Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (and, by extension, THEIR remakes); we know this since in-game significant changes occurred in Kanto, and several Rocket members mention it's been three years since Team Rocket was disbanded. Furthermore, Generation II was released three years in real-life after Generation I. Generation III can be considered contemporaneous with Generation I, since the remakes (FR/LG) were released in Generation III, and Bill and Lanette specifically mention each other (although, that's weak evidence, but that's all I can remember?!). And we know Generation II occurs at the same time as the events of Generation IV due to both the remake link and the connection between the recent appearance of the Red Gyarados in Johto and the motivation to head to the nearby Lake...

It's because they can trade Pokémon without some reason like G/S/C's Time Machine gimmick, as well as that crap in the Sevii Islands where you have to locate the Ruby and Sapphire to start trading, which hints they take place around the same time. Same goes for Sinnoh and Johto, though I'm guessing Link Issues will prevent Quine Region Pokémon being transfered to Johto.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom