• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What trivial thing in the Pokémon games drives you crazy?

Pokémon that look male/female, but can be either gender, and the tired usage of Hidden Machines. I mean, do we really need to waste a slot to cut down a little tree?

I see how it was necessary in the first gen, as you could place the HM in your box and surf out to an island and delete surf. You would then be stuck with no way out. But now that you're forced to keep them in your inventory, it's pointless.

But, I don't want to have a "HM Slave", just to progress through the game. The only Hidden Machines, that should exist, are Surf and Fly.

Pokémon that look male/female, but can be either gender

This is actually a pretty good thing. There are men that look like women and vice-verse in real life.
So it is okay to see Pokémon being able to be of both genders, regardless of its looks.

Maybe to you. ;)

Last edited:
You can't skip dialogue. It's great information the first time through, but if you're replaying the game, you no longer give two craps about what they have to say because you've already heard it. Especially the intro, when whoever it is explains the ENTIRE concept of the game. A "Skip" function would also come in handy for trips to the Pokemon Center.

More nit-picking: Before Gen. V, you were always sent back to the menu, after using an item; it was so tedious, back in the day, I'm glad it was changed. Also, it annoys me that you can't choose to not battle trainers, unless you intentionally avoid them; I wish the battles wouldn't start unless you talked to them.

More nit-picking: Before Gen. V, you were always sent back to the menu, after using an item; it was so tedious, back in the day, I'm glad it was changed. Also, it annoys me that you can't choose to not battle trainers, unless you intentionally avoid them; I wish the battles wouldn't start unless you talked to them.
But if two trainers make contact, they have to batle.

But if two trainers make contact, they have to batle.

But, what if I don't feel like battling trainers? That means I have to go out of my way to dodge them, which just doesn't seem fun. If we were able to talk to them, and accept their challenge (you know, selecting yes or no), that would make my life easier.

I hated that there were two bikes in RSE. It really annoyed me. When the bike in DPPt had two gears i was just like

tumblr_m24b3w7cN71qlnuxy.jpg

I always hated how I had to go all the way back to menu to re-spray Repels after they wore off. Especially with Dowsing Machine being deactivated upon entering the menu in HG/SS/B/W. Now I've heard that in BW2 the game asks you if you want to re-spray the repel when it ends... let's see if that is true.

Here are a few things that annoy me:

-The fact that pokemon can only learn four moves at a time
-Having to learn defog in DPPt
-How well ultra balls work in platinum but suck in heartgold. Seriously I caught Dialga and Palkia at Lv.70 with both at nearly full health, but couldn't catch moltres in HG after knocking him down to low red, and he like lv. 50 if I remember correctly
-The bag limit in gen I
-How your poke balls miss so often when fighting the legendary birds in Gen I. It took forever to catch Zapdos because of this, and I think I had him asleep too.
-Not needing badges for HMs anymore. I don't mind HMs, but there is no point when there is one tree that you have to cut down to progress in the main storyline. All others became useless.
-The fact that you can't transfer items, and pokemon knowing HMs. It's too difficult to get stones in Gen V, while Gen IV made it easier with the pokeatholon and underground.
-How easy it is to train your pokemon to battle the elite four a second time in BW, but nearly impossible to do so in HGSS. I still haven't challenged them a second time because the training against wild pokemon is so boring.
-The uslesness of the xtransceiver. Why doesn't it work like the pokegear and call people.
-The difficulty of getting BP in the battle subway. Seven battles and only 3BP, seriously?
-In HGSS nurse Joy doesn't say "we hop to see you again," but she goes back to saying it in BW. What was the point in changing it?
-Not having a certain E4 order in BW
-Voltorb flip. I like the game, but too difficult to obtain coins

Braille for the Regi trio in RSE :mad:

That was completely pointless. While I loved the concept.... how were we supposed to unlock them when even the visually challenged can't read them?

It wasn't too bad since the manual for ruby sapphire and emerald came with a braille alphabet
... It is?! I researched and learned how to read braille (mind you, not by touch)... All those hours... *goes to check the little booklet*

-Having to learn defog in DPPt
-The difficulty of getting BP in the battle subway. Seven battles and only 3BP, seriously?
-Not having a certain E4 order in BW
1) I hate defog. Now that's a waste of a move slot.
2) Yes yes yes, x1000. There's a reason I've gotten the items I want by trading people on here for them
3) I actually really appreciated that there wasn't a cut scene that forced me into battling them when the game felt like it, that was different from the ones before it (I'm looking at you Steven) so I had time to heal my babies back up (with items). But I did miss the old format terribly at the same time.

-How well ultra balls work in platinum but suck in heartgold. Seriously I caught Dialga and Palkia at Lv.70 with both at nearly full health, but couldn't catch moltres in HG after knocking him down to low red, and he like lv. 50 if I remember correctly

This is probably because Palkia & Dialga have such a high catch rate. Their catch rate is 30, while the catch rate of most legendaries is around 3. A catch rate of 30 is better than Mantyke, Beldum, and Skarmory.

This is probably because Palkia & Dialga have such a high catch rate. Their catch rate is 30, while the catch rate of most legendaries is around 3. A catch rate of 30 is better than Mantyke, Beldum, and Skarmory.

It's ridiculous is what it is. I was catching a level 2 lillilup with an ultra ball today and it broke out of it twice. Another annoying thing I remembered is that a pokemon can't go into the PC with a capsule and seal. It' s a serious pain when you're trying to pull out and HM slave real quick.

Very little bothers me, but before Gen V, I'd definitely say HMs. Thankfully they were needed rarely in B/W and hopefully will be rare in B/W2 as well.

The fact HMs still can't be forgotten. Could they not make it so that someone gives you, say, a Kadabra's Spoon to teleport you back to your house at the start of the game?
That seems like a much easier way to not get stuck instead of stopping the player from having their Pokémon forget useless moves.

In Black, how so many trainers had the elemental monkeys... It got boring after a while.

It's not an issue in the series anymore, but it really bothered me how all Pokemon and people names were written completely in uppercase. Especially when my PC and Pokemon used proper English and only capitalized the first letter. XD

This is probably more of a real world thing, but the fact that there is NEVER a collectors edition for the main series games.

I would love to see a collector's edition set including lets say the Gen VI main pair, a book showing concept art (for its region, the Pokémon, characters, etc.), maybe a steelbook case for both games, a code for a soundtrack to the pair of games, a DVD showing behind the scenes in the development OR a DVD of a Pokémon short featuring Gen VI Pokémon, and Codes for either a special Pokémon (like for a shiny Gen VI Pokémon) or a special side quest that you can only get with the CE.

EDIT: TeraDyne brought up a good point, so I thought more on that. If they include a "Collectors Edition only Side Quest", I wouldn't mind it either if it is a code for a side-quest that only the collectors edition buyers would have access on from day one, but then they would release it for the general public later on. Also, I don't mind if the CE is something like the Arkham City one where you could still get it several months later, unlike others *looks at Mass Effect 3*

The closest we've ever gotten is a stylus for pre-ordering D&P (which I still have on my desk ^_^)

Last edited:
This is probably more of a real world thing, but the fact that there is NEVER a collectors edition for the main series games.

I would love to see a collector's edition set including lets say the Gen VI main pair, a book showing concept art (for its region, the Pokémon, characters, etc.), maybe a steelbook case for both games, a code for a soundtrack to the pair of games, a DVD showing behind the scenes in the development OR a DVD of a Pokémon short featuring Gen VI Pokémon, and Codes for either a special Pokémon (like for a shiny Gen VI Pokémon) or a special side quest that you can only get with the CE.

The closest we've ever gotten is a stylus for pre-ordering D&P (which I still have on my desk ^_^)

That bold part would likely anger a LOT of people, especially with how much people complain about one-time events as it is. CE's are limited release as well, so a lot of fans could potentially be screwed out of content.

As for trivial things, this was Gen IV, but I REALLY hated how the attitude of many NPC trainers became almost hateful in the US version of Platinum, to the point of making me not want to read the dialog. That, and several internet memes and terms (like "noob") are used, making it really... uninteresting.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom