• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Type Of Antagonistic Force Do You Prefer?

Reaction score
Over the years, and across different games, as Trainers we have battled and defeated different villainous teams that have risen up to cause trouble in the Pokemon World. Whether it was putting a stop to the uses of a Legendary Pokemon for nefarious deeds, or breaking up a criminal organization in pursuit of money and power.

Given this, what type of villainous team do you prefer? Ones that don't utilize Legends? Or ones that do? Why & why not? Do you have your own original concept of a villainous team the games should utilize?

I prefer the antagonists be completely separate from the version mascots, the whole "capture the legendary pokemon to rule/remake/destroy the world" trope is becoming stale.

I like the teams that try to utilize legendaries such as Team Aqua and Team Magma, because it makes for a really epic plot and climax. Emerald's climax involving those two teams is just awesome. I do like Team Plasma as well though. They're so hypocritical it's disgusting lmao.

to be honest, i would prefer no antagonists,i played most of the pokemon games and i never felt like the antagonists added anything to the pokemon experiense, it is just a plot twist for you to capture a legendary.

to be honest, i would prefer no antagonists,i played most of the pokemon games and i never felt like the antagonists added anything to the pokemon experiense, it is just a plot twist for you to capture a legendary.

The storyline would be really bare and unexciting if they didn't have an antagonist, there's really not much to the storyline otherwise.

I would like a team that actually succeeds at something. Galactic was close, getting as far as blowing up a lake and capturing the lake spirits. But in the end, they never achieve their ultimate goal. Can an evil team for once be competent, and maybe require more than the standard "take them down before they do" thing?

The storyline would be really bare and unexciting if they didn't have an antagonist, there's really not much to the storyline otherwise.

exactly, lets be honest, without the antagonist organization there is no plot, or is it? this is my idea
i think they should drop the whole antagonist and make the story about being the champion, making back story for all the gym leaders and eliter 4
focus on making the gym leaders stronger and interesting, in most games gym leaders are a slighly stronger trainer but thats all they have, they dont get a backstory, sometimes they help defeat the evil organization but we dont really get to know them that much, so i would like a pokemon game where in your way to the next leader you hear stories about them, stuff they acomplished, or how strong they are, another thing would be make gym leader battles look like a broadcast, like is an important event so people want to watch it, that apply to the elite 4 battles 2, imagine you are traveling and you see on a big screen of a city 1 of the elite 4 members fighting someone else.
thats the kind of plot i would want.

I would like a team that actually succeeds at something. Galactic was close, getting as far as blowing up a lake and capturing the lake spirits. But in the end, they never achieve their ultimate goal. Can an evil team for once be competent, and maybe require more than the standard "take them down before they do" thing?

It might be interesting to start with a team that has already achieved its ultimate goal, whatever that might be. I am getting a little tired of the ''use the legendary'' plot, though it can be done well.

I was thinking an interesting dynamic could be you have to make a choice between something, regarding the villainous team, and either decision(s) has both positive and negative consequences. That way, they could win something in the end. I agree, having a sole pre-teen/teenager always foiling everything is a bit unrealistic and meh.

Well... I'd like to see a bunch who's already succeeded with accomplishing their goal. The plot isn't so much "collect badges/ complete Dex/ kick E4 butt" as it is trying to take down said evil group. They could... or could not... use the legendary, but evil group should be more like the ones from the Orre region- not afraid to use Pokemon to actually attack PEOPLE, not just their Pokemon. Oh, and increase the evil group's collective I.Q. If there's one thing most of the Teams share in common, it's the general stupidity of the grunts. Dumber than the 11-year-olds they always get sweeped by.

We need a team that actually affects your Pokemon. Like if you battle a certain member, all your Pokemon are burned. (And can't be healed)
Or you can only battle with two Pokemon against the boss.

Something that makes the enemy more exciting. Or a choice that affects the end-game.

I want an antagonist to have already accomplished their goal at the beginning of the game and your goal is to undo their misdeeds. Grunts should be tough and competent; they should use unlimited potions like the player and there should be a consequence if you lose to them like they will steal most of your Pokemon after you lose a battle (you can always reset the game) and it advances their plans.

I agree. I'd like to see a region invaded. And it's your job to go around liberating it, city by city. Once you liberate a city, the official/gym leader/whoever was in charge returns to their post, but isn't ready to battle yet as they need to repair.

After liberating most of the region, (final boss in the place where E4 and champion would be) in the post game credits rolles etc, the region is back to normal, and you can quickly complete the gym quest, (as you do in Gen 2/4 Kanto) and fight the E4 and Champ, so the traditional story is actually post game content.

The evil team used a legendary to take over, and as part of your quest you find the other one to help you take it down.

Team Galactic was defeated but Cyrus wasn't. He remained in the Distortion World by choice, plotting his next move. Out of all the big bosses, he didn't give up. Giovanni disbanded Team Rocket, Archie and Maxie gave up, The Shadow Triad took Ghetsis away, and Lysandre killed himself. While Team Galactic failed to create a new world, Cyrus successfully found his way into the Distortion World. In a way he succeeded. It's too bad Game Freak just decided not to continue that storyline. Would have for an interesting game.

What if it seemed like there were no villains....only for the endgame to reveal that the Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Champion have been evil all along? And you've been unwittingly helping them?

I don't know about Gym Leaders and Elite Four etc being involved, but I think a series where you unknowingly/inadvertently help the villains is a great idea!

Something fresh and different. Maybe even a step further where your character is actually ostracized for a while for assisting them.

I always had this sort of idea for a game... Where in the middle of the game, the evil team actually accomplishes their goal (like destroying the world or whatever), and then the player is sent back in time to undo it.
(Off topic, this was actually the idea for my B/W/Pt crossover (third version sequel to B2/W2 and Platinum). What happens is, Ghetsis returns, uses Giratina to get Cyrus out of the Distortion World, then uses Palkia to destroy Unova. Previously, the player (you) met up with Lucas/Dawn. You guys watch the "ultimate weapon" (that is attached to Palkia) as it begins destroying Unova. Giratina recognizes Lucas/Dawn, then saves him/her along with you, sending you to the Distortion World. After finding your way out, Dialga sends you back in time to undo the future, and in Unova's past you meet the two heroes. You discover why they began fighting (over what truth/ideals), and see the Original Dragon decompose into Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. They leave behind the "God Stone" which has the power to fuse the three back together. You settle the fight, but other people have already taken sides and started a war. You realizing that it's useless to fuse the three dragons at that time, since they'd split again because of the wars. In the future you already completed about 4 gyms, and you finish about 3 in the past. Dialga then teleports you back into the near-present time, before the weapon has destroyed Unova. Using the God stone, you fuse the three dragons, and get the Original Dragon. Cyrus then somehow takes control of the Creation trio, and then you use the Original Dragon to beat them all, and they become freed from Cyrus' control. Then you finish the last gym in the present, and then the E4, and then THE END. A post-E4 event could be Dialga sending you back again, and this time, you get to meet what the original Genesect were.)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom