• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What types of shipping fanfiction do you you like to read?

Your frequently sought out fics?

• One-Shots/Drabbles

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Chapter Fics

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • In-Universe Fics

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Alternate Universe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Present Day Fics

• Future Fics

• Single-Ship Fics

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Conflicting-Ship Fics

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Multiship Fics

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • All

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • None

• Other

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

RJoshua

Standing firm.
Reaction score
*Obligatory "If-this-does-sit-well-with-rules-please-close-it" statement here*

A whole bunch of shippers who have ever shipped a ship have most likely read stories made by authors who support the same ship, in order to see the ship in a new light or from a different angle. But what kind of stories do you typically look for over and over, if you do?

Do you look for small drabbles and one-shots, or do you go for an epic story that has the ship as a plot point? Do you look for stories set in the Poke-world, or do you look for stories set in an alternate universe? Do you just go for stories set in the present, or do you look for stories set in the future (kid fics, bad-future fics, etc.) as well? Do you go for stories where your ship is the only ship there, or do you like stories with conflicting ships in the way? Do you look for all of those I listed, or none at all?

As for me, I usually search for Pokeshipping stories of any sort, as long as they aren't set in an AU - High-school, etc. I have a few choice favorite Pokeshipping one-shots, yet Fate and Destiny of Friends, Cavern of a Million Colors, and Hero are among my favorite lengthy PS stories. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy fics that put two conflicting ships together and have them duke it out - hey, if the main story has a weak conflict, this may as well make up for it.

So that's me. What about you?

EDIT: Fudgesicle, I forgot to enable multiple options >_< Can I get this changed somehow?

Last edited:
Re: What types of fanfiction do you you like to read?

If I like it I read it.

Generally, I prefer darker high-test thrillers. If a Legendary shipping is present, it is a good bonus.

I also prefer longer (at least 7,000 words but I prefer 15,000+) more plot driven stories.

Great topic.

I.....tend to be into one-shots and drabbles, it's rare when I take interest in a chaptered fic. When it comes to the other stuff... AUs, past, future, whatever, I tend to not have a preference. I don't really like high school AUs though.

I mostly like the more lengthy ones, but I'll read pretty much any pokeshipping fanfic

Me?

Oneshots. If a chapter one is written well, then I love 'em all. I tend to lean towards Preferred Ship - Onesided rival ship. That way it'll be more interesting. If it's chapter, 15k+ please :3 Oneshots >1k words

No AU puh-leaze >w< Something in character or humorous with an interesting plot. No plot is always welcome though :p

I'll read any shipping fic as long as it's well written, otherwise I'll get bored and stop reading in the middle of the story.

My favorite genre is probably fluff. I'm all for romantic comedies. I also really like fics placed in the future with the main casts children (It's a shame that there aren't many of these :(). Aaand also school based ones But there are so many Poke/Contest/Ikari school fics that it's not even funny ._..

Concerning the ship:
I'll pretty much only read fics centered around a ship I don't mind/ approve of/ I support/ I loveI'm obsessed with. There were a couple of exceptions like this one PearlShipping fic I read that was pretty funny.

Edit: I also tend to search for fics of my favorite crackships. (I got lucky and found 1 BoastShipping fic! ;)

If it has a damn interesting summary (it really needs to strike me the right way) and doesn't force me to commit ritual suicide, written-content wise: I'm up for anything. Oneshots are preferred, but only because I know the bitter taste of a fic likely to be left incomplete. And if it's a couple I don't get much of, then it better be a oneshot, because I won't be able to take it if a rare-pair gets something, and drops off into nothing.

I mainly like in-universe stuff. (As for AU, I've only liked partially AU stories...only found 2 of the sort that I liked) Especially oneshots, but sometimes chapter fics are okay, as long as they're not extremely long.

Concerning the plot, it has to be interesting and/or funny. Usually I search for fanfictions with the ships I support, but sometimes I'll run across a good one that isn't a ship I support. And multishipping fics are usually pretty good IMO.

i prefer one-shots or smaller multi-chapter fics. as long as the story falls under one of categories, i'm up for about anything...so long as it isn't AU. i'm okay with slight AU, like making a few changes to the plot of the game or fate of the characters, but stories where they're all vampires or in high school or in the distant past/future or something are the bane of my existence.

It depends. It really come down to if it is a good fic. Then I'll read on ships I like.

I am SUCH a fussy fic reader :p

As much as I love quite a few ships, reading fics is effort (especially as so many of them are rubbish) so for me to give it a shot, there needs to be a promise of the fic being solely Rocketshippy or if it's a multiship one, a promise of large lashings of Rocket everywhere :p I abhor AU fics. If there are multiple chapters, I always skip to the end to make sure it's finished! There's nothing worse than an unfinished fic...

But my biggest niggle - if the SPAG isn't 99% correct, I'll just stop reading.

Lemons .....

And either a long One-Shot or a well written chapter fic

Either way I liek lemons

The poll needs a lemon option

In universe one shots. I find chaptered ones to be way too long :p. And I dislike Alternate Universe things, it makes no sense to me(for me in universe lemons is better than AU fanfic).

Future Fics, eh, I'm not much interested in them, but I like them more than AU ones.

Lemons? Naaah, not so much.

Multi ships? Eh, ones that focus oneship are better. Conflicting ships? Only if it is funny :p
(I got lucky and found 1 BoastShipping fic! ;)

Let me guess, "I'm Better Than You!"? It's one of my favs :B.

Well, I like one-shots/drabbles. I prefer short fanfics over the chaptered ones because I think I might get too drawn into long fanfics and the next thing I'll know, I didn't blink my eyes reading. haha!

I think in-universe fanfics are okay but I find alternate universe ones weird. Sometimes they don't really make sense anymore to me. I also like present day fics more than future fics because they seem more realistic and imagining the characters older than their ages are a bit odd since I can't imagine them look older.

Hmmmm, what else... Ahh, I love both single and conflicting-ship fics. single ships are straightforward while conflicting ships are interesting to read, with all the suspence each has. I would like multi-ships if I support all the shippings involved in the fic.

That's about it. I enjoy reading fanfics! I'm mainly a pokeshipper and contestshipper.

I haven't read too fics because I'm not really interested in them. I found the most of them too irrealistic (At least fics in Spanish, I've never read fics in English xDU literary English language it's too dificult for me xDU) A fic have to be really really good to make me like it xD. But my favourite kind of fics are One shots. They're fast, written in beautiful and delightful language,normally realistic and the most important fact: They are completed xDU. I don't like waiting for read a fic, I'm too impatient to read a long fanfic =(.
I also get tired soon of read a lot of chapters of a long fic. I can stand and read quite well average One-shots but a long fan fic have to be FANTASTIC to I read it complete xD

I usually read Pokeshipping and Contestshipping fanfics, normally realistic fics, I like to imagine the fic happening in the series :3 but if they aren't realistic they have to have a really good language expresion and made me sentimental xDU

Last edited:
I like fairly long shipping fanfics, but I don't like romance and lovey dovey crap being thrown into the story on chapter 2, i like it to be subtle and progressive mid way through is when I like the lovey dovey romantic stuff being increased. But if the characters start of wanting to get inside each other than it sucks, but if they are both thick for half of the story that's better.

I also don't like flirt my ass off female characters.

But my biggest niggle - if the SPAG isn't 99% correct, I'll just stop reading.

SPAG? Okay, you've stumped me again.

Unless it's equivalent to "characterization," in which case it's MY biggest niggle as well. If it seems in-character (for ALL characters)--if they "feel like" the people I know from the anime--I'm willing to read even shippings I don't usually get into (but I admit that I tend to "try out" more stories in my favored shippings than otherwise).

Being well-written comes second; I can tolerate a so-so prose style for in-character shipping moments. But there's a certain minimum standard--I can just barely deal with "no paragraphs" if the first few sentences seem good enough, but "no punctuation" is automatic-back-button territory.

I'm SUPER picky with my fanfics. I don't like reading the majority of them and I'll only read for a select few shippings.

I cannot tolerate OOC in a fic that well. I have to be able to imagine them doing it in the show, otherwise it doesn't flow well with me (this is why I get disappointed every time I enter the comashipping section of FF)

Generally, I don't like to commit to things, so I look for one-shots and drabbles, preferably under 5000 words. I've read a couple of multi-chaptered, but they were really good in my eyes.

Oh, I don't care how good your OC is, I'm not interested if it's in one with canon characters as the main focus.

Lemons are okay sometimes, as long as they don't try to incorporate too much story into it, lol.

This is also kinda impossible to avoid, but I hate it when fanfics end in some corny lovey-dovey kiss. Ugh, just...no. There are better ways to end it, it's been overdone.

I'll read any Fan fiction that is in English, anything with Zoey and Appealshipping.
I don't care how long/short it is unless i can understand it, finding fun to read it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom