• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Types should B-Kyurem and W-Kyurem be?

What types should they be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric are the most likely type matchups. Or they could be the first Pokemon to have three types at the same time... You never know

Meh, I don't think it strictly follows from the box arts that Black and White Kyurem will take on the types of Electric and Fire. I do now think that the Kyurem forms are bound to get either the Fusion moves, or, instead, the special moves the Ying-Yang duo learn at level 100.

Dragon/Fire and Dragon/Electric otherwise seem pretty feasible to me now. (Kyurem, if it must lose a type, will lose the Ice type.) Otherwise, the new Kyurem forms will remain Dragon/Ice, taking the abilities of Reshiram and Zekrom and their unique moves, their abilities potentially being updated to strengthen Kyurem (giving it Electric/Fire STAB, possibly preventing it from being burned).

League ninja'd me before I could even be ninja'd. His reasoning is the exact same reasoning I'm following in believing they're going to be Dragon/Ice Pokemon, with the abilities being those of Reshiram/Zekrom.

I do now think that the Kyurem forms are bound to get either the Fusion moves, or, instead, the special moves the Ying-Yang duo learn at level 100.

While this seems plausible, it's clear that Black Kyurem will have Freeze Shock, and White Kyurem will have Ice Burn.
So, if Black and White Kyurem DO adopt moves from Reshiram and Zekrom, those moves will just be supplementary.

Ice/electric would be so damn cool, seriously. Ice/fire too. Interesting combinations.

I must be one of the very few that thinks they they will take the types of Zekrom and Reshiram respectively. Perhaps, to make sure that STAB always work properly if needed.

I am hoping them to either stay Ice/Dragon or stick with Resh/Zek typings. Because Ice/Fire would be a horrible type IMO.

I am hoping them to either stay Ice/Dragon or stick with Resh/Zek typings. Because Ice/Fire would be a horrible type IMO.

A bad Defensive Type yes but nobody ever uses Ice or Fire in a defensive manner... however it's an amazing offensive typing... The only types that resist the Duel Stab is Fire and Water... so he can hit at least nuetrally to most of the meta game...

League ninja'd me before I could even be ninja'd. His reasoning is the exact same reasoning I'm following in believing they're going to be Dragon/Ice Pokemon, with the abilities being those of Reshiram/Zekrom.
League: Ninja
Field Specialization: The Impossible.

I do now think that the Kyurem forms are bound to get either the Fusion moves, or, instead, the special moves the Ying-Yang duo learn at level 100.

While this seems plausible, it's clear that Black Kyurem will have Freeze Shock, and White Kyurem will have Ice Burn.
So, if Black and White Kyurem DO adopt moves from Reshiram and Zekrom, those moves will just be supplementary.
Meh, the unrevealed Ice moves are Ice moves, while the box arts seems to show the Kyurem forms using and/or generating Fire/Electricity. You can see my post above as to how they can allow Kyurem to gain both the Ice moves. Otherwise, who knows: those moves could belong to Reshiram and Zekrom.

On that note, the "shocking" Ice move is a physical move, while the "burning" ice move is a special move. Zekrom is obviously supposed to be the physical attacker (duos tending to be differentiated in their attacking type, as per Lugia and Ho-oh, Kyogre and Groudon, Reshiram and Zekrom) per its special moves and stats, and Reshiram is obviously supposed to be the special attacker. This leads me to believe that Black Kyurem will have +20 attack (and it may lose 20 special attack, or else, it will simply have a +20 BST), and that White Kyurem will have +20 special attack.

A bad Defensive Type yes but nobody ever uses Ice or Fire in a defensive manner... however it's an amazing offensive typing... The only types that resist the Duel Stab is Fire and Water... so he can hit at least nuetrally to most of the meta game...
Uh, aren't Dragon/Fire and Dragon/Electric good offensive typings? Dragon/Fire is unresisted on purely type-based calculations (Turbo Blaze negating abilities, and of course being more offensively based than Pressure), and Dragon/Ice/Electric (Kyurem most probably still retaining access to Ice moves [though not necessarily STAB] in its new forms) can only be resisted by Magneton/Magnezone.

In competitive play, defensive typing does matter, even for offensive pokemon. Priority moves (Fire/Ice does match up better against Bullet Punch, but fares worse against Aqua Jet) can leave a pokemon that is otherwise set to sweep the other team vulnerable, and SR weakness can limit the number of times a sweeper or a bruiser can effectively switch in.

Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric will be totally ballin' if Magnet Rise is available. Otherwise, meh. I'd stick with Ice/Dragon or Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon.

A good chunk of the metagame thats in OU/Ubers is both bulky and offensive. Kyurem with the typing of Ice/Fire is not bulky enough to accomplish that much especially with Stealth Rocks & does not support any type of set up or recovery unlike Ho-oh or Volcorona. Since we can assume that it will have access to Fire type moves like in my blog, then it will possibly have access to Flame Charge at best.

Dragon/Ice with access to a Fire type movepool is just superior overall to Ice/Fire, and if Turboblaze is revamped to give STAB (which looks very likely since it seems to have Turboblaze) then that is the best option.

I can't believe how many people want Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric. It astounds me. I wonder if most people are choosing based purely on aesthetics. u_u

I can't believe how many people want Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric. It astounds me. I wonder if most people are choosing based purely on aesthetics. u_u

My theory is that they're choosing purely based on the novelty of the types as opposed to...anything else. Though I guess I can see the logic behind the type choice with the Pokemon's aesthetics, but yeah. My money's on the novelty.

rotomfrost.png

Nobody cares about you! Now get back in the kitchen.

My theory is that they're choosing purely based on the novelty of the types as opposed to...anything else. Though I guess I can see the logic behind the type choice with the Pokemon's aesthetics, but yeah. My money's on the novelty.

rotomfrost.png

Nobody cares about you! Now get back in the kitchen.

Ah yes, novelty. I knew there was a better word to be used here.

Yeah and fire/electric has also already been done with fridge rotom kitchen appliance cousin oven rotom.

Aesthetically they still look like Dragons to me, the Fire/Electricity is pretty cool looking though. If anything it references their abilities (Turboblaze/Teravolt) and the ability to now wield Fire/Electric moves. Heck, now that I think about it the formes don't really even need STAB on Fire/Electricity, just being able to use those kinds of moves drives the point across.

@Rocky505 I didn't even know that a Fire/Electric type existed lol Shame on me then, I've also forgotten about poor little Rotom and everyone talking about these type combos have too. Indeed they are novelty.

Yeah and fire/electric has also already been done with fridge rotom kitchen appliance cousin oven rotom.

What does Fire/Electric have to do with anything? That's not even in the running, not even remotely.

I don't see the logic behind Kyruem forms getting rid of the Dragon type. If he comes from a Dragon pokémon and gets DNA or whatever from another Dragon why would it become Ice/Fire or Ice/Electric?

I know that Game Freak =/= logic but still, that would be too weird.

a new poster at the pokemon center today, describes the dragons as "sparkling blue" and "burning red". i feel it contributes to the type discussion somewhat.
Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

I think that just references the idea that Kyurem is using Zekrom's (sparkling blue) and Reshiram's (burning red) energies for its formes. Probably also somewhat confirmation that their abilities could be Turboblaze/Teravolt. I think that we can rule out Dragon/Fire and Dragon/Electric as possible typings as that would be kinda redundant with the previous mascots having that, as well as their (confirmed?) signature moves Freeze Shock & Ice Burn being Ice type. So its either Dragon/Ice with the ability to use and recieve STAB on Fire/Electric moves or dropping the Dragon type for Fire/Electric.

I really hope that they aren't going to deviate from the Dragon typing though, for reasons that I've listed in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom