• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Types should B-Kyurem and W-Kyurem be?

What types should they be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will definitely remain Dragon Types. Since the exclusive moves are Ice type, they will also most likely be Ice.

So yeah, Dragon/Ice

Looking through this thread and seeing people mention 'Ice Burn and Freeze Shock' and 'competitive play' in the same sentence makes me lol
Those moves are terrible. Sky Attack Clones WTF? Two turn moves which don't give you one turn invulnerability and prevent you from switching? They make Fly sound like a good idea in Competitive play.

Last edited:
Some guy at smogon wrote this. I don't agree with it fully but i sort of liked his reasoning:

This is as detailed for an explanation as I can give on Kyurem:
(Sorry for the big text, but this really needs to be understood)

Kyurem alludes to the absence of energy and the concept of absolute zero.
Zekrom & Reshiram are Yin & Yang or energy.

Kyurem has nothing. He's a blank, white canvas. Ice represents that.

Now consider Reshiram "Red Paint". You put red paint on the canvas, now the canvas is Red.You gave Kyurem something. So now Kyurem isn't nothing, he's something. His Ice, or the nothingness, is gone. You gave him Fire. The Ice has been replaced by Fire.

Now consider Zekrom "Blue Paint". You put blue paint on the canvas, now the canvas is Blue. You gave Kyurem something. So now Kyurem isn't nothing, he's something. His Ice, or the nothingness, is gone. You gave him Electric. The Ice has been replaced by Electric.

Saying that Kyurem will still be Ice-Type after absorbing Zekrom or Reshiram is saying that the canvas is still empty when there's paint all over it.

That is the absolute best way I can describe Kyurem & his Forms.

Some guy at smogon wrote this. I don't agree with it fully but i sort of liked his reasoning:

This is as detailed for an explanation as I can give on Kyurem:
(Sorry for the big text, but this really needs to be understood)

Kyurem alludes to the absence of energy and the concept of absolute zero.
Zekrom & Reshiram are Yin & Yang or energy.

Kyurem has nothing. He's a blank, white canvas. Ice represents that.

Now consider Reshiram "Red Paint". You put red paint on the canvas, now the canvas is Red.You gave Kyurem something. So now Kyurem isn't nothing, he's something. His Ice, or the nothingness, is gone. You gave him Fire. The Ice has been replaced by Fire.

Now consider Zekrom "Blue Paint". You put blue paint on the canvas, now the canvas is Blue. You gave Kyurem something. So now Kyurem isn't nothing, he's something. His Ice, or the nothingness, is gone. You gave him Electric. The Ice has been replaced by Electric.

Saying that Kyurem will still be Ice-Type after absorbing Zekrom or Reshiram is saying that the canvas is still empty when there's paint all over it.

That is the absolute best way I can describe Kyurem & his Forms.

I agree with the guy's reasoning of what Kyurem represents, absolute zero, blank canvas (Wuji) and all that jazz but Cold Flare/Freeze Bolt pretty much confirm that one of its typings will be Ice.

Someone's probably said this already and I missed it, since just about everything has been said already, but I'll chip in anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a new type exclusive to the dragons just to troll everybody.

And hey, maybe this is just my ignorance of the game's structure talking, but who's to say they can't use some sort of DS Download to edit some of the code in B/W if they really cared about making any new stuff they put in retroactive? It might not be possible, I dunno. But I wouldn't put anything past GF anymore.

Oops. I voted wrong.

Ice-Fire Ice-Electric would be awesome though. I can't help but get the feeling however...

You know how Turboblaze and Teravolt are copy abilities of Mold Breaker? Or how Air Lock is a copy ability of Cloud Nine?
Well, what if Black and White Kyurem had a copy ability of Solid Rock and Filter, that reduced super-effective damage?
The lackluster defensive typings of Fire/Ice and Electric/Ice wouldn't be as bad, and the rad STAB would be retained.

Dragon-Ice-Electric

Dragon-Ice-Fire

It's the only way.

The one thing that connects them all is that they're Dragons. So that is a given. The signature moves would suggest that they're still Dragon/Ice. However I wouldn't complain if they were given an ability giving them Fire and Electric STAB points respectively.

"We now know that when their emotions are worked up, Black Kyurem and White Kyurem become Overdrive status!"

clicking the box takes you to this image (http://www.pokemon.jp/portal/html/b2w2/img/over_d.png). It says "Sparkling Blue Black Kyurem" and "Burning Red White Kyurem".
Why has no one suggested that by using Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare, Black/White Kyurem's Ice type and the move's own type may change? I doubt that the "Overdrive status" is just there for aesthetics.

Yeah, or I could see them perhaps changing from Ice/Dragon to Fire/Dragon / Electric/Dragon upon reaching a certain health-amount also, you know, like under 50% and they go OVERDRIVE MODE!

These guys are basically like super robots now, haha.

NEW THEORY: Kyurem isn't a Pokemon at all...it's actually a high-powered robot involved in a plot arranged by some crazy old man who has discovered a gold mine or something that was dislodged by the meteor Kyurem was rumored to be in crashing into earth. Incidentally, this is an allusion to Hanna-Barbera's Scooby-Doo.

Furthermore, check this out...

Player Character- Fred (or female Fred), a boring, personality-less character.
Bianca- Daphne, the danger-prone ditz
Cheren- Velma. Huge nerd who looks like a lesbian.
N- Shaggy. Possible stoner who spends his time talking to animals. Also, Shaggy's real name was...Norville.

How about going midway between fire\electric-ice and ice-dragon? give it ice-dragon, and give it abilities that boost fire\electric attacks by 1.5 (could be done by modifying terrabolt and the other one, they're just mold breaker anyway). This will give him efectively 3 stabs. That, and +20 BST may be enough to make it uber, although the horrible defensive typing.

Furthermore, check this out...

Player Character- Fred (or female Fred), a boring, personality-less character.
Bianca- Daphne, the danger-prone ditz
Cheren- Velma. Huge nerd who looks like a lesbian.
N- Shaggy. Possible stoner who spends his time talking to animals. Also, Shaggy's real name was...Norville.

This, so much! Does that mean Reshiram/Zekrom is Scooby?

Why has no one suggested that by using Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare, Black/White Kyurem's Ice type and the move's own type may change? I doubt that the "Overdrive status" is just there for aesthetics.

lol I was just saying something similar to this. Overdrive might be a brand new ability.

edit: If its an ability though it may also work like Traunt and affect Black/White Kyurem every other turn, where its emotions may flare up and activate the ability and change the types and then back again to Ice when it calms down on the next turn. This also reminds me of the Shadow Pokemon mechanic where they entered "Hyper mode" when their emotions flared up.

However, its doubtful that Ice will be entirely discarded or changed into another type. The main draw to these formes should be the signature moves, Freeze Shock & Ice Burn, so the Ice type will most definitely stay. Overdrive may do nothing more than allow the Charge times of the signatures to be gone and gain STAB on Fire & Electric moves when activated.

Last edited:
Overdrive may do nothing more than allow the Charge times of the signatures to be gone and gain STAB on Fire & Electric moves when activated.
I don't see one ability having two completely unrelated effects. I do see a new ability being introduced to remove the wasted turn, but for that same ability to add STAB to other moves would be pretty random.

A Truant-like ability would probably make the Overdrive status rather gimmicky. In contrast, at least being able to switch Ice with Electric/Fire through the signature move would give the player a choice as to the preferred type. Yes, I do think the Ice type should be the one to go as opposed to the Dragon one, as long as the signature moves' types were also changed during Overdrive mode and freeze replaced paralysis/burn as the added effect. I don't see the harm of Black/White Kyurem being similar to Zekrom/Reshiram during Overdrive mode and to Kyurem otherwise. Competitive players might argue that it would be best to be in Overdrive mode all the time, but that would indeed defeat the purpose of using Black/White Kyurem as opposed to Zekrom/Reshiram. A 140-power Electric/Fire-type move with a 30% chance of causing freeze would be the incentive to enter Overdrive mode.

"Overdrive mode" is nothing more than part of the Kyurems' animated sprites; there won't be any gameplay changes at all. Reshiram's and Zekrom's body parts lighting up were also called overdrive mode in various advertisements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom