• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Types should B-Kyurem and W-Kyurem be?

What types should they be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Overdrive mode" is nothing more than part of the Kyurems' animated sprites; there won't be any gameplay changes at all. Reshiram's and Zekrom's body parts lighting up were also called overdrive mode in various advertisements.
I wish people wouldn't use past games as their only argument for whether or not something is going to happen. Reshiram and Zekrom's Overdrive appearances weren't promoted to this extent, as evidenced just by the boxart; they didn't have names like "Sparkling Blue Zekrom" and "Burning Red Reshiram", either. The changes were minor enough to be incorporated into the animation, but I can't see how growing tubes would be done in a similar manner. Besides, did Zekrom and Reshiram need to change their types to reflect Overdrive mode? In contrast, Black and White Kyurem can be passed off as Dragon/Ice types outside Overdrive mode, but they most certainly seem to possess the respective elemental type when in that mode.

Last edited:
"Overdrive mode" is nothing more than part of the Kyurems' animated sprites; there won't be any gameplay changes at all. Reshiram's and Zekrom's body parts lighting up were also called overdrive mode in various advertisements.

Wow..I never knew we had Game Freak employees on this website. We all must be so blessed!

Yes, it is very possible that the overdrive modes are just there for aesthetics just like Reshiram and Zekrom, but unless Game Freak/Pokemon Company confirms that, you shouldn't be making these bold statements like they're the truth.

Like I posted in another thread, I think they will have a purpose in the games and not just simply be included in the animated sprite.

Something has to at least happen to allow Freeze Shock & Ice Burn to be used without a charge up time, and it seems perfectly logical to me thats what the Overdrive mode could be used for, along with other possible effects. When "Overdrive Mode" is activated it appears like the formes gain a substantial amount of energy, possibly acting as a sort of power herb for those moves. It may also like @Silktree said cause a type change, as the Fire/Electricity is very prominent in the formes and advertised as such.

Of course thats just a few scenarios that we have theorized today, but one thing that we all agree on is that its unlikely that Overdrive Mode is purely for aesthetic purposes. Not once do I remember Reshiram/Zekrom being described as entering a specific mode when their emotions flare up. Reshiram's and Zekrom's ingame sprites represent Turboblaze/Teravolt, but it is active all of the time, not just under a specific description.

I think that it will stay Dragon/Ice

The art doesn't look very electric/fire and has ice bits

I also don't think they will drop the dragon.

I'm definitely more in line with @Silktree's position that Overdrive will result in a forme change similar to in-battle forme changes like Meloetta, Darmanitan, or Cherrim. Of course, this would be the first time we've had a forme go into another forme.

I'm definitely more in line with @Silktree's position that Overdrive will result in a forme change similar to in-battle forme changes like Meloetta, Darmanitan, or Cherrim. Of course, this would be the first time we've had a forme go into another forme.

The movie trailer shows both B/W Kyurem using the fire/electric moves without being in overdrive mode.

white-kyurem-screenshot.png

Looking at the splash page for the new games, it has ice on it so it makes me think Ice/Fire or Ice/Electric regardless of overdrive.

Attachments

• black-kyurem-white-kyurem.jpg
    black-kyurem-white-kyurem.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 485
I'm definitely more in line with @Silktree 's position that Overdrive will result in a forme change similar to in-battle forme changes like Meloetta, Darmanitan, or Cherrim. Of course, this would be the first time we've had a forme go into another forme.

The movie trailer shows both B/W Kyurem using the fire/electric moves without being in overdrive mode.

View attachment 62779

Looking at the splash page for the new games, it has ice on it so it makes me think Ice/Fire or Ice/Electric regardless of overdrive.

Using Fire and Electric moves isn't the same thing as using a Sky-Attack Variant without a charge turn, which is what is being proposed for Overdrive. A dragon being able to use fire, ice, and electric is hardly anything new. The only reason fire and electric moves get put into play is so that Kyurem keeps its STAB for its signature moves.

But if overdrive is involved, then all the types can still be represented, with the Kyurem variants being predominantly Dragon/Ice types unless they enter overdrive mode. I personally find it hard to believe that the Dragon type will be phased out, since it is the underlying link between the Tao trio.

The only real argument against overdrive being a game mechanic is that it would render White and Black Kyurem incompatible with Black and White even in battles. The Platinum Formes were essentially banned from Wi-Fi battles (and even the Union Room) but could still be used in local wireless battles against Diamond/Pearl players - under the guise of the original Formes. Was this a smart move on Game Freak's part? Wouldn't it be better to make White and Black Kyurem usable even in Wi-Fi battles as long as only B2W2 games were involved? How is it fair to paint new Formes as old ones? If Black/White players can't obtain the Kyurem variants without buying the new games, then they shouldn't have to worry about encountering them in battles, regardless of the means of communication.

Last edited:
The only real argument against overdrive being a game mechanic is that it would render White and Black Kyurem incompatible with Black and White even in battles.
It already should be. Even if it were a purely aesthetic thing (which is very doubtful), a whole new ability out of nowhere would still be a (minor) game mechanic regardless.

Personally... I think Kyurem remains Dragon/Ice, and that this "Overdrive" ability does something, such as removing the charge turn of these preassumbly signature attacks.
It would make the most sense, I think, as otherwise the attacks wouldn't be that good, but it would give a condition of some sort (that condition being whatever "its emotions being worked up" mean in terms of gameplay) to start spamming a 140BP attack.

And of course, it would cause the tubes/active generators to appear. Though I'd think that wouldn't be a form change in terms of actual stats and typing changing, than just an appearance change to indicate the ability being active.

Kinda like Genesect and Techno Blast.

It looks like Kyurem's other formes stay Dragon/Ice. (Discovery is courtesy of sunyshore)

Amazon.co.jp
Amazon.co.jp

So, any thoughts of the typing? Should it stay that way, or is it better as some other type combination?

Thanks for reading.

So, any thoughts of the typing? Should it stay that way, or is it better as some other type combination?
They're perfectly fine as the primary types. But we don't know anything about the changes Overdrive mode will bring to the table, which is what really matters. I think this just rules out the theory that Overdrive would be redundant because Black and White Kyurem would have new types anyway.

At least this finally put to rest those novelty Ice/Fire & Ice/Electric typings. It should have been obvious that Kyurem would keep the Dragon typing from the get-go. It should definitely stay that way, as it is superior to both Ice/Fire & Ice/Electric.

As for Overdrive, I'll hold off any further judgement of it till around April 7, which is just about next week when a bunch of new info is suppose to be shown. Visually, it appears that something significant could happen with Overdrive mode. If it does then the Ice type will likely be replaced for a short time with either Fire/Electric until Kyurem's emotions "cool down." That would at least have the benefit of giving STAB on the Fire/Electric moves that B/W Kyurem will have.

That was already confirmed a while ago, I just wonder what they plan to do with the Fire/Electricity that Kyurem will emit. They don't have to give it STAB, though it would be preferable.

I'm tired of all the Dragon type Legendary pokemon.
Let's get an Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric type.

Edit: Saw some previous posts and then looked it up... realized Kyurem stays as Dragon/Ice... boo...
What a disappointment.

We already have an Ice/Electric type...

Dragon is what ties all the Tao dragons together and its a big part of their legends. Kyurem dropping that would not make much sense. Honestly, there aren't that many Dragon type legendary considering that its still one of the rarest types, and Dragons are mythical creatures anyways.

We already have an Ice/Electric type...

Dragon is what ties all the Tao dragons together and its a big part of their legends. Kyurem dropping that would not make much sense. Honestly, there aren't that many Dragon type legendary considering that its still one of the rarest types, and Dragons are mythical creatures anyways.

That's like saying there aren't a lot of Psychic type legendaries. As of right now, there are 47 legendaries. Discounting Arceus and forme changes, there's 9 Dragon legendaries, almost 1/5th. There are 13 Psychic legendaries (if I counted right). While Dragon may not be the majority, they make up a sizable chunk of legendaries. A third of all Dragon types are also legendaries.

While Dragon may not be the majority, they make up a sizable chunk of legendaries. A third of all Dragon types are also legendaries.

True, but I was just saying that Dragon is rare anyway, and is suppose to be mythical ie legendary. I guess they can try some other types for mascots though in Generation 6.

I'm sorry, for the personal bias here, but I hate Dragon types.
I don't hold it against anybody who uses them, but you will pretty much never catch me using them.
I think Legendary Dragon pokemon are obnoxious. I want to see more Legends cover multiple types that does not include Psychic or Dragon.
So Kyurem at this point is just another stupid Dragon pokemon that I could care less about. Consider him caught and boxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom