• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What video games are you playing now?

Still playing Breath of Fire 2. My party entered the Wise Tree and destroyed the demon inside of him. I ended up recruiting the strange old man who teaches a character magic while I was in there. He's got some pretty strict requirements in order to learn anything from him, but it would be a good way to give the party a bit more diversity (like giving Spar Fire magic or Jean Lightning magic). We shall see if I can find a way to utilize him, as everyone says he's the best resident for House 4. Anyway, after saving the Wise Tree it was time to clear the fog from Fog Valley, which meant heading over to Sky Tower to talk to the Wind Shaman and have her blow the fog away. That water level is rather harsh (though all water levels tend to be bad). You only have 3 minutes to search underwater (though there are places where you can replenish that counter) and fighting monsters also causes the timer to go down. So any battle I got into I just had Ryu use his dragon powers for a full-screen nuke, replenished his AP with WiseBLs (which I can easy create thanks to the cook in Township, though it does take a bit of back and forth to get some of the ingredients) after the battle ended (as the timer doesn't go down while in the menu screen), rinse and repeat. It cost a few WiseBLs but better than wasting time having everyone attack. I got the Wind Shaman and I yeeted my way back to Township so I could fuse her with Nina for a nice power boost. Now, with Fog Valley clear it was time to visit Rand's mom, Daisy... who certainly doesn't live up to her name. After dealing with the "enemies" in her fields and paying 2,000 Zenny at Namanda (which will pay off later on) Rand had a brawl with one of St. Eva's goons, cleaning his clock. However, now we need to get to St. Eva Church, which cannot be accessed by anything other than flying. Which means we're heading into one of the sadder chapters in the game: the Great Bird arc and Nina's backstory. I want to do a bit more grinding first, though, so Nina can get a very powerful spell that, in a previous playthrough, one-shot her story boss (granted, I also got a crit but the spell itself is still useful). My party is Ryu (Level 40), Jean (Level 32), Nina (Level 35, fused with Wind Shaman), and Spar (Level 32, fused with Water Shaman).

Finally dived into "Triangle Strategy".

I'm like five hours in so far and I'm loving it. For my first playthrough I'm playing Serenoa as the total paladin-esque character in the choices. Only thing I don't really care for is the ENG dub so thankfully they have the option to change it. Also I kinda suck as "Final Fantasy Tactics" is so engrained into me that I keep trying to use strategies from that game when the gameplay is different enough that I keep screwing up.

Still working on Breath of Fire 2. I did some grinding to get Nina to learn Bolt X, which was the aforementioned spell in my previous post that one-shot her story boss. Also, with a bit of tricky planning, a bit of self-abuse, and some clever use of spells and the Dragon God statue, I managed to get Jean and Spar down to 1 HP and 1 AP so I could get that old man to teach them new spells. I gave Spar Flame and Missile while giving Jean Freeze. This expands their attacking options, if only a little, as Spar only has two attack spells (Cold and Freeze) and low Power while Jean only has one attack spell (Cold, again) and needs to rely on physical attack and his skill: Jab for damage. Plus Jean embodies the Magikarp Power trope, as he starts out really weak but with patience he can become quite powerful, especially late-game if you can get his best weapon (which is a monster drop), as it's of the Holy element, which cuts through Undead and Spirit monsters with ease, and those type of monsters make up at least 80% of the final dungeon's encounter list.

Anyway, I finally moved on with the story. I returned to Wyndia (yes, I know it's spelled "Windia" in this game but it'll always be Wyndia to me, especially since the clan members are called Wyndians, so it makes sense) and had Nina talk to the King, learning of the legend of the black wings. There is quite a bit of irony in that legend if one knows their Breath of Fire lore. They say a child born in the royal family with the black wings (which are actually dark purple in-game and in official artwork) will bring misfortune to the country. However, said black wings came to be because Nina 1 married Ryu, a Dragon Clan member, thus the royal family actually has a hero in their linage. See the irony? Anyway, after doing the events that followed Nina ventured into the basement of the castle to take on the trial to gain the Mark of the Wing. Sadly I couldn't one-shot her story boss this time but I still beat the Guardian in two hits (again, a well-timed crit helped), revealing the Guardian to be Nina 1, the current Nina's ancestor, and got the Mark of the Wing. However, Mina takes the mark and uses it herself to become the party's wings, effectively sacrificing her life, since she knows Nina can take on the threat of the demon, while also revealing she was left in the dark about the whole black wing legend. Now the party has the ability to fly at the cost of Mina's life as a person. It's time to deal with St. Eva. My party is: Ryu (Level 41), Jean (Level 36), Nina (Level 38, fused with Wind Shaman), and Spar (Level 36, fused with Water Shaman).

And this kind of things is why we need a re-release. The five games really need a consistent translation.

I assume you mean 1-4 and 6, since 5 takes place in a AU with no connection to the rest of the franchise. But yes, I do agree that the games could use a re-release so the translations can be accurate and whatnot (at least 3 and 4 were properly translated, albeit with some edits, such as the Aussie Dolphin). Maybe even get the Trials of Mana treatment where the stories remains the same (again, with a proper translation) but with updated graphics, better encounter rates, and proper character models (Nina from 3 doesn't look like her official art at all, instead looking like her early concept art, which is especially jarring when you see the end cutscene, so fixing stuff like that would be good). I could get behind that, for sure.

Finally managed to tear myself away from Rune Factory 5 to finish up Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I should probably do the same for Triangle Strategy and MAYBE finally start up Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

I am completing Watchdogs on the ps4 and really need someone to tail me (game has a trophy where u need to get tailed, lose and it needs to be 5 times!!)
So if you play ps4/5 and want to plat watchdogs send me a message haha

Decided to play Catherine: Full Body (was between that and Commander Toad) and beat it just now. Rin is precious, cute, and the best. Might do another playthrough eventually on the remix stages, we'll see - probably Rin Together since more content too. It was way better than I expected, particularly with the quirky humor and the sidequest to help the others. Playing one more game before getting into Triangle Strategy's final route, not sure what yet.

Finally managed to tear myself away from Rune Factory 5 to finish up Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I should probably do the same for Triangle Strategy and MAYBE finally start up Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
Do play Kirby! Also do consider more than one Triangle Strategy playthrough, it's a game where NG+ actually feels worthwhile.

Stellaris: Decided to try out the Libra update, and finally get the Nemesis DLC. It's been a mixed bag. I kind of like the Unity rework - it completely shakes up how the very early game plays out. Edicts using free upkeep as opposed to a cap means it's less of a big deal to declare and cancel them. The inability to completely get rid of penalties due to empire size seems to incentivise using territory efficiently as opposed to just grabbing it for the sake of it. On the other hand I've finally figured out why my colonies seem to be so unstable this time round - for some reason Priests have been nerfed in their Amenities yield

Got Xenoblade 2 yesterday and started, not very far yet. Definitely a bit different from DE, not in a bad way just taking some adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom