• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What video games are you playing now?

I've been marathoning Mario kart 8 deluxe time trials now that wave 6 is out

Still playin' Golden Sun Dark Dawn. I just got the Insight Glass from the underwater temple where you meet (and eventually recruit) Amity (since the Insight Glass, which is probably THE most useless Psyenergy in the game, chooses him). Which means a boss fight is just around the corner between the party and those two generals we tricked (forgot their names). That also means my party got the Sand Prince Gem (as it's necessary for accessing, much less traversing the underwater temple), giving Tyrell a new power-up. Mathew is Lv18, Karis is Lv17, Tyrell is Lv18, and Rief is Lv17, and in terms of Djinni, I have 4 Venus, 3 Jupiter, 3 Mars, and 3 Mercury.

Still playin' Golden Sun Dark Dawn. I just got the Insight Glass from the underwater temple where you meet (and eventually recruit) Amity (since the Insight Glass, which is probably THE most useless Psyenergy in the game, chooses him). Which means a boss fight is just around the corner between the party and those two generals we tricked (forgot their names). That also means my party got the Sand Prince Gem (as it's necessary for accessing, much less traversing the underwater temple), giving Tyrell a new power-up. Mathew is Lv18, Karis is Lv17, Tyrell is Lv18, and Rief is Lv17, and in terms of Djinni, I have 4 Venus, 3 Jupiter, 3 Mars, and 3 Mercury.
Man, I love love the Golden Sun games but Dark Dawn felt like such a disappointment compared to the first two. I remember thinking the story felt more like someone's fanfiction than a real, thought out addition to the narrative as a whole :/

Amiti was my boy though.

Man, I love love the Golden Sun games but Dark Dawn felt like such a disappointment compared to the first two. I remember thinking the story felt more like someone's fanfiction than a real, thought out addition to the narrative as a whole :/

Amiti was my boy though.

For me it's the reverse: I disliked the first two Golden Suns but love Dark Dawn. I felt the first two Golden Suns were uninteresting (and inferior to Breath of Fire, which I had discovered the GBA versions of 1 and 2 at that point, and I still do feel that way), while the concept of Dark Dawn (as it was the previous character's children, sans Sveta, who was completely new, who take the reins) more interesting. Plus I felt the characters were more fun and had more variety compared to Isaac and the others. And the humor was spot-on (with plenty of lampshade hanging, usually from Amiti). Yeah, it's difficulty was lower, but the puzzles were more fun (and you didn't need to constantly shift Djinn in order to access the core four puzzle-solving Psyenergies: Growth, Fireball, Whirlwind, and Douse), and there were times the difficulty would spike rather sharply. Plus the updated graphics (especially the summons) were a nice perk, especially for the time era it came out. When it comes to the first two Golden Suns I just can't get any attachment to them, the cast, or the plot, while Dark Dawn got my attention more readily.

Fun fact, I discovered Dark Dawn by chance, as I was at a GameStop looking for cheap DS games and the clerk recommended it to me in the used section. I didn't even know Golden Sun had come out with a new game by that point. So I took a chance and bought it (I've spent $5 on worse), and didn't regret it.

And for me, it's best girl Sveta (and I'm a SpiritShipper).

MegaMan Battle Network 6: That event was not on the level at all. Some clown navi stole everybody's energy to awaken a couple of ancient digital beasties and now MegaMan's a furry. Oh, he's also dying. But like, we know which one's important. Anyway, then I had to go testify in court over the whole aquarium thing, and then I got SlashMan as a link navi!

For me it's the reverse: I disliked the first two Golden Suns but love Dark Dawn. I felt the first two Golden Suns were uninteresting (and inferior to Breath of Fire, which I had discovered the GBA versions of 1 and 2 at that point, and I still do feel that way), while the concept of Dark Dawn (as it was the previous character's children, sans Sveta, who was completely new, who take the reins) more interesting. Plus I felt the characters were more fun and had more variety compared to Isaac and the others. And the humor was spot-on (with plenty of lampshade hanging, usually from Amiti). Yeah, it's difficulty was lower, but the puzzles were more fun (and you didn't need to constantly shift Djinn in order to access the core four puzzle-solving Psyenergies: Growth, Fireball, Whirlwind, and Douse), and there were times the difficulty would spike rather sharply. Plus the updated graphics (especially the summons) were a nice perk, especially for the time era it came out. When it comes to the first two Golden Suns I just can't get any attachment to them, the cast, or the plot, while Dark Dawn got my attention more readily.

Fun fact, I discovered Dark Dawn by chance, as I was at a GameStop looking for cheap DS games and the clerk recommended it to me in the used section. I didn't even know Golden Sun had come out with a new game by that point. So I took a chance and bought it (I've spent $5 on worse), and didn't regret it.

And for me, it's best girl Sveta (and I'm a SpiritShipper).
Heh, it's super interesting to me that all the things you listed as pros are the things I considered full blown cons. (Also apologizing in advance because I never get to talk about the GS games and you've really activated my trap card now lmao)

I did feel like it was far, far too easy compared to the difficulty of the first two games. You really had to consider your Djinn selection and prepare your team very specifically for some of the harder boss fights, some almost requiring that you had 100% of the hidden Djinn around the world to defeat. That last fight with Karst and Mindari at the lighthouse at the end of the second game was ridiculously hard lol. But I'm an old school gamer. So I really crave that kind of challenge. It makes it actually feel like I earned the victory.

Whereas I beat Dark Dawn in less than a couple days. Personally it felt like it was the kids show equivalent of Golden Sun; exggerated tutorials way too late into the game and very weak/simple writing. You can breeze through a majority of the game up until the final boss appears and beats your face in, and this is because you can just summon spam your way through the game. The other Golden Sun games were not like that. Summon spamming left you wide open and your party weak, and many of the bosses would just straight up end you if you tried anything like it.

And honestly? Maybe I aged out of the series, because I found the humor more to my taste with the OG crew than with the newer generation of kids. They really felt like kids, as opposed to the others who were a little more mature and the stakes they faced felt a little more dire (despite being mostly the same age). I'll give you: Sveta was probably the most interesting of the new kids. She actually had a clear defined motivation and her personality stood out among her bland and one-dimensional friends. Also Boon was a fantastic ability that saved my ass more than once. Piers was my favorite over all (with Felix a close second). He was just a snarky, stressed out guy only trying to get back home lol

Also what about Alex!? Everyone had been waiting for this grand confrontation for three games now! I loved him as a villain. He was complex and complicated, yet still had a moral code that he abides while still focused on his path to ultimate power and potential destruction. Sometimes he even helps you! A man willing to play all sides and pull every string to see his dream realized (though he seems to still have some feelings towards the water clan as implied by his interactions with Mia). Yet in DD he's just... not even really a factor? Basically not even there, and when he is, they completely lose that characterization.

I also bought it at a discount. So I'm not as upset as I would have been buying it at full price. It's certainly not a bad game, but I think why I've soured on it and why a lot of the fans of the series view it less favorably is because it's a noticeable step down compared to the first two. Even the world is smaller with multiple points of no return limiting your ability to explore.

EDIT: Afterthought, but the Breath of Fire series was also dope af. Except for that PS2 era abomination.

Last edited:
@Lyndis Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. All the strengths you mentioned in the first two GS are faults to me. I never really could feel anything with Isaac and the others, as I felt they were very bland and uninteresting. Plus the party grew too fast and any character development felt lacking, if present at all (not one of Camelot's strengths, as I've come to notice). And Alex never really interested me at a villain in the first two games. In DD I felt he was a bit more interesting, since he was basically playing both sides to whatever agenda he had. And it felt like his ego was bigger (his "codename" or whatever you want to call it certainly fit, especially when you considering Chalis and Bladios name theming).

And I didn't mind the whole "point of no return" thing as it felt like a form of story progression and didn't feel like a limiting factor. Especially since it helped cull all the weak encounters. I don't mind linear if it's done right and DD did it right (and it's why I've grown very tired of open-world games).

And I feel the Grave Eclipse was a much more climatic and threatening, since the body count was enormous and it felt like a genuine disaster of epic proportions. And since it actually killed named characters like Brigs it shows that no one is safe. And the monsters it spawned were certainly a step up from the previous beasts, even able to OHKO a character if lucky enough (though that made them good for grinding).

And lastly I preferred not needing to constantly shift Djinn and being more able to play my way without needing unnecessary class changes just to complete certain bosses. Especially since it felt like the classes in DD were more well-rounded and felt more fluid. And there are battles where the bosses are actually quite tough, not just the final boss, much less the bonus bosses like Dullahan (who got a significant buff since Lost Age). And there's always the occasional boss in mook clothing to consider. So it's not like the difficulty was always low. And, for the record, I do enjoy a challenge (like how I enjoy BDSP), but I also play games to help alleviate stress. So if a game is unnecessary difficult it'll only increase my stress, which is something I didn't like about the first two GS, as I felt their difficulty was overly inflated to the point of being unfair. One of the things I like about DD is that it doesn't stress me out and I can play it at my leisure and do things my way. I'm a casual gamer, plain and simple, so if a game helps me unwind and have fun than that's all I want. And the first two GS didn't do any of that for me, as there were times in the first two GS that I was not having any fun at all, while DD was enjoyable from start to finish.

So that's my 2 cents.

And on a final note, yeah, Breath of Fire was awesome. An underrated gem of a series, that's for sure. But the less one talks about Dragon Quarter or that stupid mobile game that had the audacity to call itself Breath of Fire 6 the better.

@CynthiaLover

First of all, they did a Breath of Fire mobile game??? Yikes. At first I thought it had fallen to the hellscape that's become gatcha gaming, but some Googling shows that it's even worse than that. Damn. Mobile games are where franchises go to die like straight to DVD movies. Shame. Many such cases.

Disagreeing is bound to happen. That's the nature of gaming, I suppose. There's something that appeals to everyone. If you're more of a casual gamer then I can understand why we're at ends on so many of the same points. I played semi-professionally as a younger person and did all kinds of tournaments and competitions because I thrive in that kind of environment and like to see how I stack up against the best. I'm motivated by stress. Which is not a normal response lol

Linear gameplay in terms of RPGs can be executed in a way I enjoy though. An example being Final Fantasy 10, though they immediately lost the sauce on FF12. DD felt wanting in that regard for a reason you already mentioned. Camelot's strength is most certainly not dialogue and so many of the scenes that were already sort of long and clunky became even moreso with the updated 3D graphics since the camera had to pan between the faces of each speaker. At least with the first two if you had to repeat a scene after dying you could very quickly cycle through the text in that way.

I feel like limiting the open world took away a lot of the exploration aspect I enjoyed in the first two GS games. Also why BOF 3 was probably my favorite out of that series too. There were so many side quests and ways to affect the world in the smaller scale by how you helped certain individuals. As well as the fun minigames such as fishing. I had a lot of fears for the FF7 remake cause it looked at first they were only going to play up the grim, gritty realism. Thankfully it was allowed to still be a little silly. Now here's hoping they actually finish it in my lifetime lol

MegaMan Battle Network 6: So dad got arrested. Had to do a whole thing trying to prove an alibi and find the real culprit, then we had to jack into the tree that they put cybernetics into to make the perfect judge. Inside, we learned of a dark, twisted betrayal. Colonel is working with whatever the evil organisation is for this game! The fiend! Did our time in the Cool Guys Against Nebula Club mean nothing to him?! After that situation was resolved we went to check out Sky Town, bonded with ElecMan as our third Link Navi, and now the weather's all fucked up, so we've gotta deal with that at some point.

recently i’ve started playing Dead Cells and AK-Xolotl. considering that these two games and Have a Nice Death have pretty much been my introduction to Roguelikes, i’d say that i could definitely see myself playing more of this genre of games! :3

also:
MegaMan Battle Network 6: So dad got arrested. Had to do a whole thing trying to prove an alibi and find the real culprit, then we had to jack into the tree that they put cybernetics into to make the perfect judge. Inside, we learned of a dark, twisted betrayal. Colonel is working with whatever the evil organisation is for this game! The fiend! Did our time in the Cool Guys Against Nebula Club mean nothing to him?! After that situation was resolved we went to check out Sky Town, bonded with ElecMan as our third Link Navi, and now the weather's all fucked up, so we've gotta deal with that at some point.
Hearing this kind of description makes me wanna play Battle Network Legacy Collection even more now lol

I have been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and got 3 stars in all grand prix, and let me tell you that 200 CC is the hardest one to get 3 stars in, which by the way, you need to get 1st place in all four races. Ultimately, I managed to do it all without changing my character and vehicle combination from what I originally set up (Inkling Boy with Splat Buggy, Triforce Tires, and Paper Glider).

But regardless of that, I do think some character voice lines are funny, Wario and Funky Kong have some of the funniest when hit by an item.

so i've wanted to get into trails lately, and what better way to get started than the beginning, right? so i've been playing trails in the sky and just recently beat it, and... whew that ending is all i gotta say. perfect set-up for the second chapter of the game. after experiencing the plot, gameplay and the characters, this convinced me enough to purchase the second chapter and play even more!

MegaMan Battle Network 6: We fixed the weather, but lost the thing the bad guys (now revealed to be the Neo Neo Neo WWW) were after. However there seems to be dissent among the ranks of the NNNWWW, as the losers whose asses we kicked plot a mutiny! I also won the tournament to have MegaMan as the spokesnavi for the tech expo, and afterwards I made two new friends! A train and an assassin!
Hearing this kind of description makes me wanna play Battle Network Legacy Collection even more now lol
Yeah, Battle Network is just Like That. Some games go harder into the wackiness than others, but you'll generally find a good amount of it.

Picked up Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition again. Just finished the infiltration of Kamishiro to get into the "secret room" alongside Arata and Yuuko so we could get some more dirt on them. Learned about the Paradise Lost Plan (sort of) and that Yuuko is being blackmailed by Rei in order to keep her brother, who was the first EDEN Syndrome victim, alive. And got a funny scene where Arata becomes Kyoko's latest "victim" of her coffee, complete with the game getting in on the fun, with the dialog box being labeled "Arata's Death Cry". My current team consists of Shendu the Slayerdramon, Bai Tza the Kuzuhumon, Gadget the Beelzemon, and Airazor the Valkyrimon. Other notable Mons in the DigiFarm include Solaris the Ophanimon, Lunalight the LadyDevimon, Venus the Rosemon, Mary Ann the Pandamon, Jetstorm the Imperialdramon, Glyde the Kerpymon, and Titanic the Titamon.

Just finished the final boss of Super Mario RPG Remake, though I still have the new post-game bosses to fight. Game has a lot of nice improvements though there are one or two minor things I regret (the big one being adding Difficulty settings but only for an Easy mode, not a Hard mode).

Relatedly, if the Pokémon BW remakes get developed by another dev team again I'll note that ArtePiazza has a good track record for RPG remakes...

Made some progress though the third chapter of bug fables. I like that the chapter is (most likely unintentionally) named after one of my favorite Kirby songs. It's quite good so far I'll admit. Even if it isn't as good as paper Mario 64.

Wish I could say I was playing something interesting currently, but I am currently finishing up my Nanowrimo story this year (and it just feels ... wrong without its forums to post to), but once November's a wrap I have picked up several new titles lately so I really should start playing at least something outside my usual haunts....

For example:
  • Detective Pikachu Returns
  • Disney Illusion Island
  • Super Mario RPG remake
  • Super Mario Wonder

MegaMan Battle Network 6: In celebration of the events from my last update, we went back home to ACDC Town to hang out with our friends from the last five games. Said friends were promptly kidnapped by the NNNWWW deserters, who used the opening to (try to) beat the shit out of MegaMan, even after beating them though, MegaMan was tired enough to be kidnapped and forced to submit to Gregar's will. Thankfully old frienemy ElecMan was available to help out and beat MegaMan off with a stick and knock him out so he could take back control. Afterwards we had to fight off Colonel after he made his best effort to kill both ElecMan and ProtoMan (Chaud's here btw, arrested the mayor for being evil, no big). And afterwards the NNNWWW deserters who can't decide on a name for themselves kidnapped Iris. She's been around but I've just never mentioned it before for some reason despite knowing that she's important. Anyway, now we've gotta figure out where they took her. Hopefully they bragged about it on the Bad Guys Forum they have in the Bad Guys Section of the internet.

Back
Top Bottom