• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What video games are you playing now?

Am I the only one here who's never played Fire Emblem? I did attempt to play Sacred Stones on my Wii U, but I felt like the game was playing itself. I should get back to it some time.
Well fire emblem is a strategy rpg so you don’t do more than command the characters. More similar to earlier final fantasy games. The only control you have over your units is what weapon to use and what they do each turn. Other than that you basically have to pray to RNG Goddess not to smite you.

But fire emblem has decent stories and great characters. FE7 and Sacred Stones only allow for five support convos which means you can do only one A rank, so you have to be more careful about supports in those games, but most of them are pretty good. Especially Seth x Eirika. Like Karina said, you should definitely get back into it. If you enjoy it then you’ll enjoy the other games even more.

Fire Emblem Three Houses,
Finally recruited Linhardt into the Golden Deer last night, though I don't think I'll be able to recruit Felix in this run since I focused to much on building a magic Byleth, but I'll be doing Blue Lions on my second run anyway; besides I can always recruit him into the Black Eagles on the third run. Got the Sword of the Creator and even completed the mission in finding Flayn, decided to defeat the Death Knight instead of routing the enemy, it's a 25 turn limit not gonna waste that lol. After that got Flayn into the Golden Deer as well, can't wait to use her in Battle of the Eagle and Lion. Otherwise been doing quests mostly, also got a lot of supports built up too.

Speaking of, I can't decide if I ship Lorenz x Hilda or Lorenz x Marianne now. I think I'm starting to lean toward the latter, especially after getting further in their support, him calling her a hidden beauty was actually really cute. Also got B support with Linhardt, a cute support so far! Especially Linhardt asking Byleth to help him achieve his wish of not wanting to fight much and just lay under a tree with sun filtering through, so romantic imo.

Still playing Fire Emblem Three Houses myself too. I'm admittedly not as emotionally invested in it as I'd like to be but honestly I attribute that mostly to working a lot and being tired because the game is fantastic. I do love the free roaming and interactions. And I've already got it picked out who I'm going to make my first S unit.

Beyond that loading up Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution at times and doing a few duels. And also playing a bit of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 when I can get a chance so I can do some of the recent DLC.

I, too, have succumbed to the Three Houses trend. Picking Black Eagle for my first run-through, Edelgard was just too enticing for me. :p But that's not all the Fire Emblem I've been playing either! In anticipation for Three Houses I finished my playthrough of Shadow Dragon and started Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for the first time! The former actually took me a while, I was stuck on Chapter 22 (the one with all the dracoknights). I ended up not doing a single Gaiden chapter and finished with three dracoknights in my main party. I did accumulate quite a few deaths during the run though, I think it was around 9 or 10.

Shadows has been going relatively smoother, I'm currently about halfway through the game. Got no units dead in Celica's route and only 2 in Alm's, both to ambushes from moving enemy battalions. Really liking the game so far and I can see where a lot of influence from the game made its way into Three Houses, though is it just me or is the combat in this game so much more luck-focused than previous games? Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to fatigue but it really seems like the numbers they give you for accuracy and avoidance don't matter in this game within the combat. Ah well, it's still a good game and I really like how they put so much detail in on the characters that matter a tad less to the overarching story, it really fleshes them out. This was the perfect way to do a Fire Emblem remake in my opinion and I hope they do similar remakes in the future of the other Japanese-only games.

Oh, and I've been playing Hollow Knight as well. Did I mention that already?

WELL. I was playing Rune Factory 4 for the 3DS. Regretfully, I cannot just sit and play for an entire day due to my left thumb giving me issues. The circle pad is stuck, so using that is out of the question. The fast directional changes don't agree with my joints; I prefer long sustained pushes like an Etrian Odyssey, if you will. So since farming simulations are my jam, I restarted Stardew Valley. I can see this being a timesink if I'm not careful.

All this fire emblem talk is making me want to brush off my copy of Conquest I'd bought some time ago; but I'm near the ninja hell chapter and I've lost some of my units already. Also FE: Shadows of Valentia is wonderful and y'all should play it if you haven't already.

@TheCapsFan synchronicity!

My laptop is broken and I need a new one to play World of Warcraft with my Husband. He wanted to get me one at £3000 I said No way Jose! So he was going but one at £1500 (n) Are they really that expensive???

All I need it for is World of Warcraft and to do some word processing which I’ve been doing on my tablet. Mostly just timetables for the kids schooling.

Still playing 3 Houses @Juliko defiantly try FE again I’d start with Awakening since you can get it cheap second hand or 3 Houses.

Edit

Forgot to add my point was is it possible to get a laptop to play WoW for under £1000

Last edited:
Not playing Fire Emblem myself, but I did at last start Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (XBO) the day before... which also happens to have a tactical TB battle system. I'm having fun in the beginning city,
investigating a murder mystery,
and completing a myriad of quests for various NPCs. Looking forward to when I explore more of the outside world, once my team is stronger.

Perhaps I will start FE: Echoes - Shadows of Valentia soon, as well, to at least get on the FE bandwagon. :cool:

Medieval II Total War: England. Picking up and old save from last year. Investing in ports and markets is paying off, not least because my kingdom is a kingdom of the coasts. Trade with Denmark and Spain is bringing in a good deal of money despite the Low Countries still being rather underdeveloped. London is at the forefront of the cross-Channel trade.

Moving some men around, I shall be able to have three major armies: one in Nottingham (With some spearmen garrisoned at York in case the Scots get any funny ideas), one in Caen, and one in Antwerp. Which is just as well, since the Holy Roman Empire are getting on my nerves, and have allied with both Scotland and France

Completed chapter 8 after defeating Solon and saving the villagers in Remire Village. Now I'm on chapter 9, picked Flayn for the Golden Deer representative at the upcoming ball (well, more like she wanted to volunteer so I picked her to get it out of the way), apparently Charm needs to be at or around 13 to win and Flayn's is at 22, so I'm highly hopeful she'll win. Levelled up more supports, Leonie has really grown on me now, I thought I wouldn't really like her but she's pretty cool after all, plus her admiration for Jeralt is endearing (though her attitude towards Byleth could be a little more considerate due to his pseudo sheltered life, but once I get further in their supports I'll see how it all works out). Also got to C rank on Hanneman's and Manuela's supports, they've also grown on me as well!

I also did the Tea Party minigame for the first time today. Chose Linhardt for this activity, of course. Picking the right topics was pretty easy for him actually, next time I might go for Felix or Claude.

@TheCapsFan I'm curious, after reading your post on playing Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light's and Gaiden's remakes, have you played New Mystery of the Emblem (FE3's remake) on the DS? It's my favorite of the remakes personally, though it made me sad that it never got a western release after Shadow Dragon's poor reception here, so I had to resort to importing it at the time (also it gets a lot of flack sadly). So I'm curious on your thoughts on it if you've played it before.

@TheCapsFan I'm curious, after reading your post on playing Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light's and Gaiden's remakes, have you played New Mystery of the Emblem (FE3's remake) on the DS? It's my favorite of the remakes personally, though it made me sad that it never got a western release after Shadow Dragon's poor reception here, so I had to resort to importing it at the time (also it gets a lot of flack sadly). So I'm curious on your thoughts on it if you've played it before.

I have not!! I'm hoping for a localized remake akin to Echoes, but if not I'm sure there's like a fan translation out there somewhere. I gotta say the DS Fire Emblem interface is one of if not my favorite in the whole series, with the touch controls and similarity to the GBA in spritework and simplicity.

I have not!! I'm hoping for a localized remake akin to Echoes, but if not I'm sure there's like a fan translation out there somewhere. I gotta say the DS Fire Emblem interface is one of if not my favorite in the whole series, with the touch controls and similarity to the GBA in spritework and simplicity.
I think there is, I remember reading about it on the FE wiki at least. But a Echoes styled remake for western release would be cool to see, as long as they keep Kris (unpopular opinion here lol). But I have to agree that DS FE interface is one of my favorites too, despite the harsh flack it gets for some reason, at least for me it's better to play compared to the originals I've played (while still fun, get tedious after a while sometimes).

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
At the beginning of chapter 6 now.
Lysithea is my MVP nearly every battle and she's my highest-leveled unit. Which is good, because she's one of my favorites, along with Claude and Marianne. Still working on recruiting Linhardt; I'm at C-support with him last I checked, though I feel like he's probably close to B. Other than him, I'm not really sure who else to recruit since I'm not actively working on anyone, though I do try to do the tea parties whenever a birthday passes. If anyone else joins (aside from Sylvain and Cyril, who I already have), then it happens; if not, oh well, I'll learn more about the others next playthrough.

Stardew Valley. I'm waiting for the void chicken to hatch.

Medieval II Total War: England. The Holy Roman Empire decided to besiege Antwerp while some of the garrison were putting down a rebellion. Some savage fighting in the town square, but despite losing half my men it quickly turned into a rout and a victory for the English. The French have besieged Caen for some bonkers reason. The castle is garrisoned with about 600 elite archers, I'm not in the least bit worried.

Throwing money at the papacy has yielded a papal alliance, so we'll see, maybe the Pope will start wagging his finger at my enemies

Medieval II Total War: England. For the second time today, procrastinating. Inconclusive fighting in Normandy has battered my army there. I'm trying to patch it up as quickly as possible so it can reasonably take on the French in the field instead of sitting it out in siege. The Danes have now besieged Antwerp as well, with the garrison there beginning to be chipped away. At some point it will need some sort of reinforcement.

In the meantime an army under King William Rufus is laying siege to Rheims. I don't intend to keep hold of it so much as discomfit the French for a while. The real goal will be to bring an army over from England. Striking at the Danes is tempting, but it would make more sense to march into Anjou to relieve the pressure on Normandy

Now on chapter 13, part 2. Let's recap what happened in my playthrough from 9 to now: in ch.9 we are at the ball but Byleth decides he doesn't want to stay and find somewhere private, there is a special part and dialogue where he talks with Linhardt (whom I'm romancing this file) and they speak about the Goddess Tower being a place where close people meet again years later, and something special happens to them. So this is most likely a special scene for whoever you try to romance. Then we see the death of Jeralt, Byleth's father, after a battle. And let me tell you I haven't cried at an FE death since 4. Just seeing Byleth cry for the first time after witnessing his father die right before his eyes at Kronya's hands (disguised as Monica), and unable to stop it even with turning back time, just really hits you. I know FE is similar with Disney when it comes to parent/guardian deaths, and it shouldn't be surprising, but it's still sad. We also find Jeralt's diary and how he met Byleth's mother and that Rhea did something to Byleth as a baby, since he had a pulse but no heartbeat, and no emotions whatsoever, all because of Sothis being inside Byleth's mind.

Ch.10 shows a mission where Byleth and co. fight Jeralt's killer, at this point Solon returns and what looks to be like kills Kronya. Then we have a, what I'd like to call a minor Kingdom Hearts moment, point where he talks about darkness and the God that Byleth has inside him. Byleth gets trapped in a void of darkness and at this point, we realize that yes Byleth is pretty much a reincarnation of Sothis. Sothis describes that the only way to leave the darkness is to have Byleth absorb her fully, this is the point we see his hair and eye color change, to represent Sothis now finally being one with him, another sad moment imo. After that we, assumingly, kill Solon.

Ch.11 is the mission at the Holy Tomb to receive a revelation from the Goddess. This rite gets interrupted by the Flame Emperor whom we find out is actually Edelgard (not surprising at all though, practically everyone saw it from a mile away via before release and Edelgard's hate for Crests and the Church). Also Byleth gets a cool new exclusive promotion class.

Ch.12 is where the mission to defend the monastery begins, and you have to defeat Hubert, Death Knight, and Edelgard to complete the map. A cool cutscene happens where we see Rhea's dragon form (another obvious non-surprise lol). And so part 2 begins at ch.13, the long awaited timeskip. (Remember that I'm playing the Golden Deer route)

Also let me just say, I hope we don't see any more of those beasts in other games. They're fine to fight if there is one, maybe two, on the map, but more than that they are just tedious enemies that take a bit to kill.

Back
Top Bottom