• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What video games are you playing now?

Taking a break from Pokemon I picked up Breath of Fire 2 on the Switch. Hello translation errors and insane encounter rates galore. I'm not very far, just up to the point where Bow is forced to leave the party by going into hiding after Yuna Patty the phantom thief got him blamed for a crime he was going to commit but got beaten to the punch. So, Ryu has to hunt for his long-lost sister the thief and clear Bow's name.

Pokemon Shining Pearl. Haven't done too much since I'm still looking for a Gible and spending a bit more time in the Grand Underground. I've found a few more Pokemon statues though one of which I already have (Gliscor), also been catching some more Pokemon in the hideaways. Caught another Houndoom, specifically a male one this time since I wanted to name it Cerberus, mainly for my amusement. Also caught a Misdreavus and Absol (and this one specifically was a pain in the ass to get, he's always the more elusive one to get for me both in spawning and catching).

Shin Megami Tensei V. I'm in the third area of Da'at currently and finished beating Ishtar, she put up a good fight but I came out victorious with Alice finishing her off; poor Idun didn't see much action this time except to heal my party and guard. Now I'm just waiting out in finding Oberon so I can recruit him. Can't wait until I get to the fourth area so I can get Fionn in my party, I already completed the specific fairy quests beforehand so when I get to him I can take his quest (which is just battling him again).

Minecraft: Enchanting is actually getting kinda back on track since I played around with the way I was doing things a little more. It turns out that gunning for specific enchantments tends to run way smoother when you're actually enchanting the specific thing the enchantment is supposed to go onto rather than just spamming books that can pull from everything. I wasn't doing it before because I completely forgot that a millstone could remove enchantments and give you another shot. I just didn't want to have to go through "Oh, this diamond sword got Sharpness instead of Looting, time to throw it into the incinerator because it doesn't have any use to me now." But no I can just throw that sword into a millstone and get a new set of choices. Plus with certain villager trades I don't even need to spend diamonds getting the combination fodder. So yeah I got Looting III on my sword (and Knockback II accidentally which takes the practicality down a little but it's not, like, ruining it or anything) and Fortune III on my pick, completing both of the enchantment sets I wanted to put on those things. I also traded up a Shepherd, Toolsmith, and Armourer villagers to max level. The town's really starting to feel actually populated.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Definitely starting to slot my way into these combat mechanics and do better at this. One thing is a little... Strange feeling about it though. Namely that Peter's guns aren't really that useful for most things. Like, they work, but they kinda take a while to take down health bars even on smaller grunt enemies. Like, I get why, because it makes the abilities your teammates can use really have a major impact on the battle, encouraging you to keep calling orders and boosting the feeling of being part of the team. And it does feel really good to string abilities with good synergy together. But it also makes it feel like you're not actually contributing to that team with your own abilities, just shouting orders to the people who can actually get the job done while you sit there blasting your peashooters. Anyway, crazy cultists! Fun!

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia: I'm a Top Ranger now! Just checked out a Dim Sun mining site in the Chroma Ruins. Now I'm just out on patrol cleaning up some Quests.

C, explored Whirl Islands. I changed my boxes to place Pokémon to train by holding Exp. Share or leaving them at Daycare. I defeated Team Rocket and started raising my team to Lv. 45. It was a surprise to encounter Suicane at the bottom. I didn’t save before encountering so I have to experience the event again.

And in BD, explored Hearthome City and am now on Rte. 209.

I made it to obtain the Basement Key in C. As for BD, I’m near Solecean Town.

Completed everything in Dragon Quest 6 DS, including beating the superboss. The hilarious thing about doing the latter:

If you beat him under 20 turns, he's very surprised that you managed to beat him, let alone that fast. So he decides to do something nice for you and goes to kill the final main story boss for you. Obviously the thing here is the devs are basically going "If you can beat the superboss, the final main story has no chance", so they have the superboss do it for you. It's a completely one-sided affair, the final main story boss doesn't do any damage to the superboss. The really funny thing is some of the characters after the final main story boss is dead claiming you killed him when in reality you didn't.

Now i want to get a physical copy of Dragon Quest 5 DS, mainly to have all three Dragon Quest DS remakes. Now, what would be amazing is if Nintendo ported these to the Virtual Console on the Switch or Square Enix added these to Steam.

Finished SMT V's Neutral route the other day and ngl it's the first time I haven't felt satisfied after beating a game. Expected the true final boss to appear, but all I got was the credits? Turns out it doesn't appear on Neutral, so now I'm contemplating reloading a previous save and going for Chaos. Could go for the true ending but I looked it up and nah, not a fan.
Overall, the plot was very lacklustre. On the other hand, I had a lot of fun just exploring Da'at and figuring out how to reach certain places. Highly recommend if you prefer gameplay over story.

Picked up Breath of Fire 2 again after an unintended pause (RL stuff). I made it to the arena town and stocked up on new gear and supplies before performing the quest to find Baba and take his place in the arena battle. Damn, the encounter rate is insane at times. But with some luck I beat Baba, with Ryu leveling up twice in his forest (once against the local monsters and once against Baba himself). I then stored as much gold (or, to be technical, Zenny, even though the game doesn't call it that) into the bank, as I had learned of a cute little glitch that allowed me to gain 90,000 gold early on. I intend to try it again later. But, for now, I fought Katt and won, only needing to heal twice (it helped I got several "Specials", aka Critical Hits, during the fight). I then saved her from the poison darts and she joined the group, followed by withdrawing all the gold/Zenny I had put away and bought Katt some new equipment. Met up with Rand and the three of us took down the two-headed wolf demon guy (though Katt did get KOed briefly but Rand's "Wake" ability got her back up). Rand joined the group and I upgraded his equipment (or at least what can be upgraded, anyway) before taking him and Katt to the hideout. Relayed everything to Bow and Katt has joined my quest for Yuna Patty the Phantom Thief. Now we're off to rescue one of the coolest Nina incarnations and Mina from the clutches of the Joker Gang.

Forgive the double post but I continued my Breath of Fire 2 adventure. First off I rescued Nina and Mina from the Joker Gang, gaining Nina as a new (and permanent) part of the team. After getting kicked out of Wyndia Castle I met, and recruited, Sten (after Katt gave him a few lumps to the melon). Now it was time to make use of that insane encounter rate and grind, grind, grind, as the next "level" is a doozy. After getting Ryu, Nina, Katt, and Sten up to at least Level 10 I did the well quest. Man, that boss was a tough nut to crack but after a while I managed to beat it. Rescued all the villagers and had Ray give Nina the Renew spell, as she has the AP to make use of it. After that I retired Katt (for now) so I can train up Rand and headed back to the same village as the well quest. There Ryu got dragged away by the Fire Shaman and ended up getting his dragon powers activated for the first time. So that meant I now had to hire one of the three carpenters to build up Township.

I actually had to go back onto the Breath of Fire Wiki (haven't been there in a while) to make sure I got the right carpenter (the one who can cook various items together) but in the end I succeeded in getting the right one. After that I met Jean in his frog form and had to travel to the Nimifu's tower. Good god, the encounter rate in that tower is pretty much the worst at this point in the game. And the monsters there are nothing to sneeze at. I actually ran out of healing items, had to backtrack to the previous town to stock up, and try again. At least I made use of that encounter rate to grind for levels, getting Ryu, Nina, Rand, and Sten up to Level 14 or so. Fought Nimifu, using one of Ryu's dragon puppies to shave off a huge amount of HP from her and significantly shortening the battle. Afterward I first recovered the Water Shaman from the tower and then had Nina kiss Jean (poor girl, talk about taking one for the team) and revert him to normal. Now, with Jean in the party (I retired Sten for now) I made my way to the secret location in the waterfall where Ryu gets his next level of dragon powers by using Jean's frog form. Now it's off the Simafort for the next events... the dreaded, and rather bizarre, impostor scenario.

I’m trying to train any Ice-type Pokémon in C to around the same Lvs. as my team. I put them up front and make them hold an EXP. Share. Plus I leave some at Daycare to level them up too.

Just discovered the Lost Tower in BD.

Just played Monster Rancher 1 & 2 DX for a bit (specifically, Monster Rancher 2). It took a bit to work the CD database in order to generate a monster. In fact, I had to look up how to use it, as there are now more options and possibilities. Plus not all of the monsters match their original CDs. Word of advice: look up the needed CDs and artists via the Legend Cup website. It'll make things so much easier, and thanks to the new data you can get more starting moves and whatnot. Anyway, using that site I picked a Poison (Pixie/???), named her Nina, and she has the starting moves Pat, Kick, Heel Raid, and Bolt. I'm not very far, only in June of the Year 1000, as it took me nearly 30 minutes trying to figure out how the CD database works before finally looking it up. Nina has been... willful, to put it simply, cheating several times during drills (though I reset each time, as out of habit I save each and every week), but in the end I got some progress done. The QoL updates are glorious. Now you can buy multiple items at once and they no longer each take up a separate slot on your item list, as now they're categorized together (ie: if you have multiple Mint Leaves they now occupy the same slot instead of each taking up valuable item space). Not to mention the fast loading and saving times. And from what I've heard items that were near worthless in the past are now much more valuable, such as the Gemini's Pot. The remixed music isn't half-bad, either, though it's deceptively loud at times. The graphics are polished up versions of the originals which is fine. Overall, a good way to restore an old classic. Hopefully DX will sell well to revitalize the franchise in the west.

Forgive the double post but I got a LOT done in Monster Rancher 2 DX since last time. I've managed to (mostly) reign in the willful Nina using Sour Jellies, as scolding causes stress to build up quite rapidly. Nina has since been doing really, really well in both training and tournaments, having reached max fame before even going into the C Rank. She's about to enter the Official Rank B tournament. As I've noticed every rank I tend to have a particular "nemesis" that often screws over my runs. In Rank E it was a Mocchi/Tiger (forgot the name, and believe it or not Oakleyman hasn't given me problems... yet), in Rank D it was Sakura Art (Mocchi/Pixie), in Rank C it was Color Pandora (again, forgot the name), and in Rank B it's Epsilon (Henger/Henger). I do beat them but it sometimes takes a few attempts. Anyway, I also did the IMA vs FIMBA tournament (I was in D Rank at the time) and my team won, so I can now unlock Worm, Mew, Henger, and Gali. I got the first house upgrade, too. I love the fact that the glitches and coding errors are gone, such as the lifespan glitch that used to take effect during errantries, as it makes raising monsters much easier. However, I have discovered that there is still an inventory limit despite the fact that items are now grouped together. That's a bummer, as it would've been real nice to not have to worry about a clogged-up inventory. On top of that I went on my first two expeditions, getting the Fire Feather and later on a Gold Peach, the latter of which I intend to use when Nina's stat growths start to dwindle. Also, I switched back to the original soundtrack, as I prefer it over the remixed version (sometimes you just can't beat the classics). Overall, while there are still some issues, like the inventory limit, the game is playing just like the PSX version but better, so that's very reassuring to see.

I've been playing Shining Force II from the Sega classics collection on Steam. Fun game, though the story feels a bit 8-bit era somehow.
My whole party is now promoted with a level or two except Sarah (though she's close) and Kiwi (had to bench him; he just couldn't keep up once enemy spellcasters became common since they pretty much all one-hit kill him).

Now you can buy multiple items at once and they no longer each take up a separate slot on your item list, as now they're categorized together
I'd heard you could multi buy items but I didn't know they stacked. That'll make stocking up on a ton of mangoes in the early game less annoying.

believe it or not Oakleyman hasn't given me problems... yet
Pouring one out for all the new players first meeting with this guy.

in Rank D it was Sakura Art
I remember that one, too. The two enemy monster name I remember are Sakura Art and Oakleyman.

I love the fact that the glitches and coding errors are gone, such as the lifespan glitch that used to take effect during errantries, as it makes raising monsters much easier.
I wonder if it's worth using Errantry for stats now (without learning a move)? Without the bug it should still hurt lifespan by 3 weeks (and you need to rest after unlike good ol MR1's brokenly overpowered item spam) but they might have changed it (one of the "50 changes" they list on the Japanese site mentions Errantry no longer greatly lowering lifespan but they might just be referring to the bugfix).
Certainly a more appealing option than before, at least.

I won't get a chance to pick them up until Christmas but I'm glad it sounds like the DX versions turned out well (reviews seem to be trending well, too).

I wonder if it's worth using Errantry for stats now (without learning a move)? Without the bug it should still hurt lifespan by 3 weeks (and you need to rest after unlike good ol MR1's brokenly overpowered item spam) but they might have changed it (one of the "50 changes" they list on the Japanese site mentions Errantry no longer greatly lowering lifespan but they might just be referring to the bugfix).
Certainly a more appealing option than before, at least.

I won't get a chance to pick them up until Christmas but I'm glad it sounds like the DX versions turned out well (reviews seem to be trending well, too).

Yes, it's worth doing errantries now for stats. You only really lose the 4 weeks used on errantry itself (and make sure to feed it tablets before and after to reduce the stress levels), while in the original you'd lose at least 7 due to the glitch, if not more. Though don't rush to do errantries, wait until your Mon has a decent amount of Loyalty, as the baby stages are best for building bonds (especially if your Mon is a late-bloomer, otherwise you're just wasting weeks). But with that glitch removed it makes errantries sooooo much more worthwhile, as it doesn't drastically cut into your monster's lifespan like before.

Back
Top Bottom