• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

What was Melvin's motivation for hypnotising Ash into being his servant?

owenpeterson

Reaction score
If anyone recalls from the "March of the Exeggutor Squad" The wannabe magician Melvin's Exeggcute used hypnosis on Ash. Yet, Melvin never ordered them to use hypnosis, but he still made Ash act like a total servant. He made Ash carry him out into the woods, and made him capture a whole bunch of Exeggutor for him.

What I wanna know is why? Couldn't he have done this himself? Why couldn't he have done the same to Misty and Brock? Why couldn't Ash have kept AT LEAST one Exeggutor for himself? After all he did catch all of them.

Plus I think Melvin may have to a lesser extent played a role in Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard's premature evolution and disobedience problems (but I've explained my views on the matter altogether so we'll leave it at that).

Personally, If I were Ash and ever came across Melvin again, I'd whoop his ass and take a handful of the Exeggutor. But that's just me.

But the point is: What was Melvin's motivation for doing so?

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He wanted to use Ash's Pokemon to capture the Exeggutor to make people watch his magic show. He already knew what Pokemon Ash had, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't know what Pokemon Misty or Brock had. Even if he did, Ash was already under hypnosis, so he figured that he would already take advantage of the situation for his own gain. I also disagree that Melvin played any role in Charmander's disobedience problems. The situation did give Charmander more battle experience for its evolution to Charmeleon, but I wouldn't say it was premature or that he had any role beyond that.

Kallyle

Starwalker Neo
Reaction score
He wanted to use Ash's Pokemon to capture the Exeggutor to make people watch his magic show. He already knew what Pokemon Ash had, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't know what Pokemon Misty or Brock had. Even if he did, Ash was already under hypnosis, so he figured that he would already take advantage of the situation for his own gain. I also disagree that Melvin played any role in Charmander's disobedience problems. The situation did give Charmander more battle experience for its evolution to Charmeleon, but I wouldn't say it was premature or that he had any role beyond that.

Actually, while I don't think that Melvin's hypnosis caused Charmeleon's disobedience by itself, one could argue that seeing its trainer being manipulated so easily made it feel Ash wasn't worthy enough to train it.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, while I don't think that Melvin's hypnosis caused Charmeleon's disobedience by itself, one could argue that seeing its trainer being manipulated so easily made it feel Ash wasn't worthy enough to train it.

That's an interesting approach to the situation, but I think it's a stretch. Charmander only saw Ash under Melvin's hypnosis for one scene and none of his Pokemon noticed that he was under another person's control. They followed his orders with no problem and there wasn't any shot of any of the Kanto starters noticing something different about Ash during that scene.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Top Bottom