• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What was the best part of BDSP?

Reaction score
BDSP is one of my favorite games because I just had fun playing it just like LGPE and Pokémon ranger. I mostly don’t have too much fun in some Pokémon games whenever I replay them but theses were weirdly special, (to clarify I have played too much of LGPE I haven’t played my main file in forever.) but theses games have something in common, People hate the games a LOT. its sad but this thread is for appreciating the good parts of it so I will say…

What was the best part of BDSP?

for me my favorite part was the contests, they were dumb and I loved it!

I loved the new outfits for Dawn and Lucas, they're all so cute! I also liked the updated teams for gym leaders (especially in rematches) and the league, it made them more interesting to challenge.

Also I enjoyed seeing new/younger players having fun in Sinnoh for the first time, their excitement was infectious :bulbaLove:

My favorite part of BDSP is definitely the Battle Tower. Master Class in particular is a real challenge. It's more challenging than any other Battle Facility we've had in the past, because the AI is just much better. Bonus points for all the important NPCs showing up there, it makes the battles even more enjoyable.

I also want to highlight how much better the Grand Underground is in BDSP. Pokemon Hideaways make the whole place much bigger and more interesting to explore.

Couple of things

1) They made the best parts of DP (the underground, the Elite Four + Cynthia battle) more memorable.
2) The infamous Azure Flute Arceus event got released this time. It's now an indefinite event you're rewarded in BDSP once you completed Legends Arceus.
3) Unpopular opinion but the way you obtain Arceus in this game is really cool and fitting. Arceus isn't just rewarding you for beating the legend's game. It's also rewarding your descendant!!! This is a throwback to everything you have done to earn Arceus in its own game.
4) Sometimes being a little too faithful has its benefits. The Arceus in this game is NOT shiny locked!!
5) These games are so much faster than DPPt.
6) No more having to cram an truckton of HMs on your Pokémon.
7) This may be controversial but I absolutely love the EXP Share in this game. Always hated just how much grinding Sinnoh required especially if you wanted a remotely creative team and now your team can reasonably be more flexible without as much time being wasted grinding levels like a chore or risking a loss against artificial difficulty due to awful level curves.
8) I really like how after getting Giratina-A they made you go into the Distortion Room and battle in a boss fight against a level 100 Giratina-O out of nowhere for the Griseous Orb. I don't like the requirements to get there but I feel that with this Distortion Room scenario, alongside keeping the first Giratina as a mysterious legendary found deep within a cave with a unique puzzle, BDSP handled Giratina better than Platinum did.
9) Never actually played the Battle Tower in Sinnoh but I checked out plenty of the Master Class sets and it really looks like ILCA put in effort to make the Battle Tower at least a little worthwhile.

Call me insane, especially coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of regular Sinnoh, but I wholeheartedly prefer BDSP over Diamond, Pearl, AND Platinum.

The best part of BDSP, for me, is that there's no twist villain. It takes a certain level of talent with storytelling to make this work, and that's something the mainline series has almost consistently lacked in. I'm just very very pleased that ILCA kept Cyrus as the clear big bad instead of playing with terribly written "shocker" ideas like GF did with Psychopath Lusamine and Impatient Rose.

I think BDSP made me like Lucas (rival) more? He is just some guy and he stays in the same spot in Sandgem Town that he has been in since 2006 but when you finally get to battle him he is actually really strong! I feel like people always see this character as weak because he admits in Pokémon Masters that he often relies on Dawn (main character). But even in Pokémon Masters he is one of the strongest characters.

Maybe the male hero can be strong while still respecting the female hero's strength? Compare and contrast to HGSS when both Kris and Leaf get excluded while all the focus is on Red and his achievements in FRLG (even when you play as Lyra).

The fact that the Azure Flute Arceus event actually got released. Even that it's used as a reward for those who have done Arceus's bidding in the legend's game. I know most people don't like this because it's 120 bucks to get Arceus in BDSP but here I just love how your descendant getting Arceus directly ties to your actions in Legends Arceus. I also love how tedious it is to get it. You not only have to get Legends Arceus, but beat it all the way through, then beat Cynthia in BDSP and obtain the National Dex. After all, this is the God of all Pokémon. It SHOULD be highly tedious to obtain.

Edit: Oh this is the same thread I posted in before. Huh. Silly me.

The Sinnoh nostalgia factor I guess? The remakes got me in the Sinnoh mood tbh. Funnily enough when my BF started playing BDSP I restarted one of my Platinum carts and I remember watching him playing and thinking to myself that I was probably having more fun playing Platinum than he was playing BDSP lol.

Seeing Chibi Cyrus

For me it was to re-experience the DPP games at high speed. And also the much harder Pokémon League, believe it or not.
Oh yeah, the Pokémon League in that game is a great plus point too. I'm extremely proud of how well my team of four Pokémon managed to play around Lucian and Cynthia without having overleveled/legendaries. It's perhaps my most vivid recollection of how a game's first Champion fight went.

For me it's 2 things:
1) I missed out on getting D/P/PT when they came out, so it gave me a way to see this fan-favourite region for the first time. (Well besides the anime and manga.)
2) The way it got around doing the Dialga/Palkia statue. I'm a sucker for Pokemon fusions.

Unironically, the glitches.

I feel the games were pretty weak in general, a sort of more bad than good situation. However you want to slice it, it's pretty telling that the remake clamoring died down (of course by no means died off) after this game. If it wasn't for being the glitchiest games since the originals, there wouldn't be much to talk about. The speedruns that abuse them are pretty nuts. Besides, I personally enjoyed it for getting a bazillion apriballs and more importantly, cloning a bunch of herbs to get rid of affection mechanics - giving you no say in the matter besides keeping happiness down. Like the second-best part I feel is the postgame content (besides the Battle Tower, they went way too far). But you can't really have a fair fight there because of those. I even remember someone telling a story about how they tried to use Burn Orb strat (which the AI uses!), but nooo, blew on the burn.

IMG_20231024_214750.jpg

Those games are my favorite in the series in terms of visuals. The colors blend in and pop so well. I was never a fan of Gen IV or the Sinnoh region--with the exception of the many wonderful Pokémon they introduced--but BDSP made me...like them, at least hahaha. New moves, the Fairy type, and lack of HMs really helped.

interestingly enough, i've made a lot of good memories in the battle tower! though this is solely because i was challenging it with a friend and we were seeing how far we could get and if we could get to master rank. gotta admit, the later challenges of BT are pretty brutal. @_@

the grand underground, for all of its flaws, is also something i've really grown to appreciate, i think. i really like how it's possible to obtain starter pokemon there, even though i haven't taken much advantage of that...but the environments are really nice. ❤

I haven't really actually played them, but the fact that HMs aren't moves you have to give to your own mons anymore means that you can theoretically completely solo the game with your starter, and that idea sounds funny. When I finish Scarlet I'll probably do just that actually (though I'll catch a Starly early on and Palkia when I get there as well, to make up for some of Empoleon's weaker matchups if nyothing else).

I think BDSP made me like Lucas (rival) more? He is just some guy and he stays in the same spot in Sandgem Town that he has been in since 2006 but when you finally get to battle him he is actually really strong! I feel like people always see this character as weak because he admits in Pokémon Masters that he often relies on Dawn (main character). But even in Pokémon Masters he is one of the strongest characters.

Maybe the male hero can be strong while still respecting the female hero's strength? Compare and contrast to HGSS when both Kris and Leaf get excluded while all the focus is on Red and his achievements in FRLG (even when you play as Lyra).

I mean, in the universe of Pokémon main games, there is nothing to imply favoritism or any difference in strength between the protagonists of the fourth generation, especially because they do not have any retcons in other games, unlike the iconic Red, and play exactly the same roles in their appearances.

Personally, when playing the game, I never interpreted one of the protagonists as weaker than the other. For me, the difference has always been purely aesthetic and visual.

I think that your interpretation is either based on the Manga, where Platinum gets the lead and is bossy with the male characters, Pearl and Diamond, who has a goofy personality and is not, at least initially, as skilled in battle, or on your own preference constructed due to the anime.

I haven't played Masters, but I believe they may have taken inspiration from the manga or created their own lore based on the character's media appeal, as, for the majority of protagonists, there isn't much to be inspired or extracted from the main games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, because of the design and personality displayed in the manga, I was never a big fan of Lucas/Diamond either. But, in this generation, my opinion changed in his favor, but not because of BDSP, but rather Legends Arceus, a game in which I played as the Male Character.

Last edited:
I like that it gave Cyrus a definitive epilogue. Working at the Battle Tower is a nice ending, and plays into the "maybe he can change" notion that some canons have previously used. Though I have a feeling Palmer is only allowed to do so because the northern island specifically isn't Sinnoh. I do wish that we got more plot around this, but it was still nice to see that Cyrus's life is on an upturn and he's being monitored now.

Back
Top Bottom