• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

What was the first Pokemon you ever caught?

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Inspired by the "Is your favorite starter the first one you ever picked?" thread. Most of us remember the first starter we ever chose, but can you remember what the first wild Pokemon you ever caught was? And does that Pokemon hold any special significance for you today? Pokemon GO counts too, if you started playing that before the main series!

The first Pokemon I ever caught was a male Rattata in Silver version. I named him Barry. I remember feeling really excited about catching my first Pokemon. Rattata isn't a Pokemon that's particularly special to me now, but I do find its Silver sprite quite nostalgic.

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was Scyther, in Gold - I think. Embarrassingly, it took me until past Goldenrod to figure out that you could scroll sideways through the bag, and so I was baffled at my inability to catch anything prior to that. I only got Scyther in the park because the 'ball' option is presented instead of 'bag' in the Bug-catching Contest.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Either a Pidgey or a Rattata in LeafGreen. I tend to fill up my Pokédex as much as possible with the resources I have at my disposal.

is a goat now
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ohh man... I wish I could remember 100%. My first game was Blue in the late 1990s which was a long time ago, but I want to say Pidgey! don't remember if I used it on my team at any point or not haha

Boku ga Kira da
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He / Him
I'm not entirely sure. I never had a GameBoy myself, but I do vividly remember that a childhood friend allowed me to play one of the Gen 1 games on his GameBoy, and I caught several Diglett in Diglett's Cave. I have no other recollections of catching Pokémon around that time. My first own Pokémon game was Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, and the first Pokémon you capture there is Teddiursa. In the main series my first game was Diamond; I don't remember my first capture in that game but it was likely a Starly or a Bidoof.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
I think it was a Zigzagoon in Sapphire.

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
It might have been a Pidgey in Pokemon Yellow. Not sure.

crazy oshawott lady
Reaction score
Zigzagoon in Ruby. I actually ended up keeping it through the whole playthrough as a Linoone, but then again my team wasn't as well-constructed because of how new to the games I was at the time.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Grookey
Pidgey In Red HM Slave. I Swept The Whole Game Wİth Charizard

Just a normal day in the Mesozoic
Reaction score
Poochyena in Sapphire, back in 2003. My beloved and golden childhood.