• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

To Your Eternity episode 15, a show that just continues to deliver high quality every week. Easily among the most unique and engaging anime I've seen in some time.

---------
And as of today, I rewatched one of my favorite slice of lifes, Flying Witch start to finish. Haven't watch it since the year it premiered. Really wish this show would get a second season at some point since there's more material. For those interested it is more like a tamer Kiki's Delivery Services abelit with a slightly older protagonist and the magic outside of flying is a bit more mundane than one would think.
Well you got me there since I absolutely love Kiki's Delivery Service. I'll be sure to check this out sometime soon.

Finally got around to finishing Backflip!! just now, completely enjoyable. I really like the smooth CG for the performances and the beautiful metaphorical visualizations of each character's emotions and thoughts. Plus the down time you see for the character's when they aren't training/performing are nice and fun, I feel that sports series do this type of SoL stuff way better tbh, especially since it actually isn't boring and keeps me interested. Anyway glad the series ended on a somewhat high note, nice to see Shotaro finally perform at the end regardless of his wrist injury, but sucks that he can't practice for a month (though obviously understandable). Glad to see his team make it to the inter-high at least, hopefully the upcoming movie touches upon the ending and we see if Shotaro ever does get to perform again with his friends; hopefully it doesn't end up being a recap movie though, I generally have no interest in them since I can always rewatch a series instead, plus it's bad enough some anime have whole recap episodes, so I don't need an hour or two long condensed version of it.

Welp, I finally finished my binge-watch of "Yugioh: Arc-V" (with about three weeks to go before the world drops in Duel Links) and you know what that means, it's time for another overly long rant. I'll try to boil it down to the main issues though...

I see what all the "But you still take damage!" memes were about. I swear they say that at least once per duel this season if not more.

Anyways, as I alluded to in my previous rant they spent way too much time goofing around in the Synchro Dimension in Season 2 and so Season 3 has to contend with cramming both the Xyz Dimension, Fusion Dimension and a hidden Epilogue arc all into less than 50 episodes and so the pacing is rushed to all heck. The crew really needed to be in Xyz by the last third of season 2 if not the halfway point. But other than the rushed pace, the Xyz arc was pretty decent. Aster worked as an antagonist, even if he was just re-treading his GX arc. Kite was amazing and I loved his new Cipher Archetype of cards, and even Kurosaki got some much needed development.

The Fusion arc is where the cracks really start to show as the show has some good set up with both the interdimensional war brewing and Yuya's foreshadowed darkside trying to awaken. But unfortunately it all falls flat by the time they get there as there's so few episodes to work with that Academia's forces are effectively wiped out in a rushed battle royale with most of them KO'd by friendly fire. Combined with the fact that any Lancer not named Yuya/Reiji essentially gets reduced to a cheerleader role. And then we get to the battle with Supreme King Z-Arc...

I've racked my brains over this climax. It's blatantly trying to parallel Supreme King Jaden from GX yet it simply doesn't work this time and I think I figured out the reason. It's because Jaden was the Supreme King and so his sins were Jaden's and trying to overcome the darkness was genuine character building. But Yuya and Z-Arc are effectively two different people in one body and so blaming Yuya for any of Z-Arc's actions is illogical and the fact that the two of them never have a proper scene together is baffling as it robs Yuya of any proper character development beyond "don't be bad".

The Epilogue arc did go some ways to alleviate some of these problems by giving a spotlight to characters like Kurosaki, Dennis and Gogenzaka but the damage had already been done. By the way, I felt like Yuto/Yugo/Yuri all got screwed by the ending. They really should have been revived separately or had Yuya be a complete blend of their minds and personalities. I really didn't buy the narrative that they "live on" inside of Yuya as presented.

Side note: I've no idea what the heck was going on with the "reveal" that Layla was a girl the whole time. It served no narrative purpose and no even acknowledges it - the ENG subs didn't even notice as they kept referring to her with male pronouns even after the reveal. It felt very weird and as if something was planned with Layla's character but got scrapped on the cutting room floor.

So yeah, that's Arc-V done. I'll probably leave it a while before tackling the second half of Zexal or giving Vrains a second shot.

Odd Taxi. Overall an incredibly well-done show. Real solid character-driven mystery story with incredible vibes throughout. The only thing that really bothers me is the episode 13 twist. It's pretty much entirely disconnected from every other part of the story. Like, you could cut the entire plot thread and the rest of the show would barely need a rewrite. Now admittedly there's a couple things you could say that about in the show, (Homosapiens, Taichi, and most of Tanaka), but those were at least characters with arcs that felt like they had a point. This twist doesn't even feel like it has a point outside of "Oh, by the way, all the character designs were a lie". Which, like, congrats? You got me? It's still a really good show, the finale just got a bit weird for me 'cause of that twist.

Finally got around to watching Levius, just finished the first episode. Pretty good CGI so far and characters are really cool as well, I really like Natalia since she looks pretty badass like Levius himself. Boxing choreography actually looks better in this series too, especially from what I've seen of different PV's. Anyway I actually have high hopes for this one, and from what other people have told me, it is a really great show (and manga, which I feel obligated to read sometime after I finish the anime adaptation).

Finally finished Season One of Kuroko's Basketball. It really has become one of my favourite new anime shows to watch, now heading into Season Two.

the aquatope on white sand, episode 5. It occurs to me that two archetypes of mother dominate the medium - the overbearing matriarchal ice sculpture and the sugar-sweet housewife. Does the mother have to be cast as this domineering countess for being a sensible, responsible, parent?

Finished the first episode of Ahiru no Sora just now, so far I liked how funny the first episode was at parts. I was wondering if it's going to be like Kuroko's Basketball but it looks like it's going a more realistic route instead, which is fine of course, as long as it fills a hole Kuroko left behind a while ago then I'll most likely enjoy it all the same as well. Anyway, I honestly didn't expect for Chiaki and Momoharu to be twins, I was expecting more like former friends or rivals lol. I can't wait to see how Sora convinces the delinquents to actually participate in the club, granted it's more than likely because he'll probably beat them in the match he requested from them towards the end of the episode, but I'm hoping to see some challenge from the boys instead of them joining right away.

Also been watching Levius as well of course, finished episode 4 earlier. Really liking this series more and more, and I really liked the fight in this episode; Levius using Malcolm's own move against him was amazing. Honestly the fight sequences in this show are just hype.

I enjoy watching multiple anime at once, for different purposes (example: Not watching Sarazanmai on the bus, while Futari wa Precure: Max Heart is great while waiting for bus after work)
Ongoing:
1-Sarazanmai
2-Carole & Tuesday
3-OPM S2
4-Isekai Quartet
5-Senko-san
6-Hitori Bocchi
7-Dragon ball filler list.
8-Yuu Yuu Hakusho
9-The Rose of Versailles
10-Heidi: Girl of the Alps
11-My hero academia filler list.
**Favorites / Least Favorites:
**Sarazanmai and Yuu Yuu Hakusho is my favorite of the ongoing shows, while The Rose of Versailles is probably my favorite of the non-ongoing shows.Dororo is probably my least favorite of the ongoing right now, varying in quality between the episodes. Tweeny Witches is my least favorite of the non-ongoing shows.

Last edited:
Medabots Spirits, which is the sequel to the original Medabots series. I never finished Spirits and dropped it ages ago (10+ years I'm pretty sure) because it just wasn't good at all, but I'm willing to give it another chance, if only because I have a massive amount of nostalgia for the original Medabots series.

Medabots Spirits, which is the sequel to the original Medabots series. I never finished Spirits and dropped it ages ago (10+ years I'm pretty sure) because it just wasn't good at all, but I'm willing to give it another chance, if only because I have a massive amount of nostalgia for the original Medabots series.
Oh man, I loved the original Medabots as I child and I too dropped Spirits. :bulbaLove:

The Medabots dub was glorious though, looking back there are so many jokes I didn't get at the time...
Seamus MackRaker: "I'll get you Phantom, and then I'll expose your secret to the world!"
Phantom Renegade: "Sorry, but it's a crime to expose yourself in public...see ya!"

Oh man, I loved the original Medabots as I child and I too dropped Spirits. :bulbaLove:

The Medabots dub was glorious though, looking back there are so many jokes I didn't get at the time...
Seamus MackRaker: "I'll get you Phantom, and then I'll expose your secret to the world!"
Phantom Renegade: "Sorry, but it's a crime to expose yourself in public...see ya!"
Yeah, Medabots is just one of those childhood shows that has a special place in my heart. Although its popularity never got to the heights of Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh, I still fondly remember there was a lot of hype for it among friends and other people my age. It was just a fun and exciting anime. It was also surprisingly deep in certain aspects, especially with Rokusho's story (who's still my favorite character).

Didn't like where Spirits went with its story and new characters (and especially the removal of a lot of major characters) unfortunately, but even picking it up again after so many years feels like coming home for some reason, since I'm still so attached to the main characters :bulbaLove:

Completed Kyo Kara Maoh! last night and Levius this morning. The former is just as fun and great as I remembered, though I forgot how slow it kinda felt when Yuuri and Wolfram's adopted daughter got introduced; I don't dislike her really, but she's kinda the weakest character in the series imo. Anyway, gonna finish the rest of the anime installments sometime in the near future, since I have other series I need to fully complete and rewatch again. As for Levius, it met my expectations on being a good boxing show; now I really have to read the manga soon.

Currently up to episode 8 of Ahiru no Sora, while pretty good so far I dislike how the matches are essentially still frames with a slideshow sometimes. So it's more than likely not going to fill the hole Kuroko's Basketball left behind, but the characters are pretty solid and the animation outside of matches is smooth, so it'll probably still be high up on my list but not as high as KnB unfortunately.

And finally watched episodes 1-3 of Run with the Wind. At first I thought all the comparisons of Haikyuu's Tobio and this show's MC Kakeru were just superficial reasons cause of design, but even personality wise they're very similar lol (not that's it's a bad thing for me, I really like Tobio and now Kakeru). Another character I like so far is Musa, he's so nice that he can't say no to Haiji's blackmail in joining the track and field team lol. Solid show and characters so far, so I'm glad this one has 23 episodes.

I've been slowly making my way through my Kuroko's Basketball season 2 rewatch; I've been watching the dub on Netflix. I'm honestly really enjoying the dub, some of the name pronunciations are weird but in terms of voice acting I think nearly everyone sounds great. Kagami and Aomine specifically sound absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
I've been slowing making my way through my Kuroko's Basketball season 2 rewatch; I've been watching the dub on Netflix. I'm honestly really enjoying the dub, some of the name pronunciations are weird but in terms of voice acting I think nearly everyone sounds great. Kagami and Aomine specifically sound absolutely fantastic.
I couldn't get into the dub when I rewatched season 1 on Netflix. Taiga's English voice is great since it's Zeno, but I couldn't get behind everyone else tbh, and seeing Aleks Le for Seijuro's VA also doesn't sit well me. And the name pronunciations just turned me away. Maybe it's cause I watched the whole series in Japanese first few years ago, but the original cast will always be my preferred choice.
(this is just my personal opinion of course, anyone that likes the dub that's cool, just wanted to share my thoughts since it was brought up)

I'm just surprised this series got a dub this year and by Netflix even, especially since sports anime in general don't do too well in the west that often. I wonder if they'll even get to dub the movie and any of the specials and OVA's.

Last edited:
I couldn't get into the dub when I rewatched season 1 on Netflix. Taiga's English voice is great since it's Zeno, but I couldn't get behind everyone else tbh, and seeing Aleks Le for Seijuro's VA also doesn't sit well me. And the name pronunciations just turned me away. Maybe it's cause I watched the whole series in Japanese first few years ago, but the original cast will always be my preferred choice.
(this is just my personal opinion of course, anyone that likes the dub that's cool, just wanted to share my thoughts since it was brought up)

I'm just surprised this series got a dub this year and by Netflix even, especially since sports anime in general don't do too well in the west that often. I wonder if they'll even get to dub the movie and any of the specials and OVA's.
I also prefer the original Japanese, but I like most of the English VA's in other things so it was pretty much inevitable that I was going to wind up liking the dub as well. I agree that Akashi's dub voice is probably the lowest point of the dub, though. It's not a bad voice, but it just doesn't suit him at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom