• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Shenmue Episode 8: Looks like we're learning about the Wude one episode at a time and this episode it's "Yi" from Guixiang who got quite a nice bit of screentime this episode. Similarly I'm glad the anime is incorporating as many scenes with Wong and Joy since you had to go out of your way in the game to really get more characterisation from them beyond the mandatory interactions. I did chuckle at the whole "library books wax on wax off" minigame being carried over into the show, I hear a lot of people had trouble with that one so to see Ryo fail the QTE was amusing. Seeing Fangmei go from hating Ryo to thinking he's real cool by the end of the episode has me hopeful that her birthday event will be kept in despite the fact that we've only got four episodes left.

Watched and completed both Fate/Grand Carnival and Learning with Manga! Fate/Grand Order. Both are very short, and I need to get back to watching the rest of the animated series after completing UBW a while back. I thought these two would be nice to re-enter the anime with, especially since they're cute spinoffs anyway so it's not like it's out of watching order; that and I got back into my daily logins/quests/training again in FGO after taking another mini break from it, so I needed more GO content lol. (now I want to replay/read the VN again, but I have too many other VN's to catch up on and finish)

Aside from that, I also completed Prism Ark and two more Tenchi Muyou OVA's. Prism Ark was okay, still think the VN was better even if it's not my favorite of the genre; the Tenchi Muyou OVA's were a fun watch though, will get to the others probably sometime tomorrow.

Still rewatching the main Tenchi Muyou! Universe anime. Up to episode 5, and I'm just remembering how aggressive some of these girls are to Tenchi within the franchise. And it also reminds me why Ayeka is my most disliked girl of the harem, her attitude is the most annoying one of the cast tbh.

Shenmue Episode 9 - I was wondering why they were leaving Zhangyu as the last of the four Wude masters when he seemed the least important but I see now that it was because they wanted to tie it into the plot of meeting Ren which was cool. I will say, I always had a soft spot for Zhangyu as his lesson is the only time I can think of in video games where failing a QTE is required to progress the story. We get some more of the backstory of Xiuying and her brother with some unsubtle parallels between Ryo and Ziming both potentially going down the wrong path. It was a little weird seeing Ren introduce himself and his quirks after we've already seen him cameo in some anime-original scenes but that's fine. Now that he's joined the group I believe we've reached the end of Disc 2 and now the pacing starts to pick up as we get a proper introduction to the Yellow Head gang and Yuan. I had to laugh at Xiuying in this episode because her speed-blitzing the YH mooks looked a little ridiculous - IIRC in the game it took place in a bazaar like place with Xiuying moving from one street stall to the next so she was constantly obscured but here in the anime it was a wide open street and it just looked like she was so fast Ryo couldn't see her despite being a mere ten feet in front of him.

Side note: I was a little thrown off by Yuan having a male voice actor as I forgot he's a gay man in the original, whereas I'm more used to the censored Western version of "Yuan" being a woman.

Episode 1 of Aoashi. Pretty fun episode to start off. The main character, Ashito, is pretty charismatic so hopefully interactions with more characters later on will be great. The designs kind of remind me of Ahiru no Sora's, and not straight up bishounen looking (except maybe Yuuma's and Tatsuya's designs, so far), pretty neat since most sports anime/manga tend to use pretty boy designs (which is fine by me too, gotta give us girls eye candy fanservice as well).

Other than that, I've also picked up Shield Hero season 2, Kaguya-sama Ultra Romantic, and BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story. So I'm satisfied for now with current airing shows, might also pick up Spy x Family's anime adaptation sometime towards it's ending or after it ends (mainly cause I need to catch up/watch other planning shows). The latter show, Birdie Wing, is also pretty good; I'm just glad there's finally a golf anime I can watch, even if it's over the top (but as the biggest Prince of Tennis and Kuroko fan, I'm okay with that; though it's too bad the Robot x Laserbeam manga was forced to end early, then we really could've had a over the top golf series following Kuroko, since it's by the same creator).

Also watched episode 11 of Salaryman's Club. You know, it's a good season for sports series so far, and as a big fan of the genre I'm certainly eating good with this. Anyway, sad it's coming to end next week, and also sadder with the brutal ending this episode (it was his eye right?). Might watch the other badminton anime, Love All Play, after this one ends but it'll have high expectations from me, especially coming into it after this show.

Shenmue Episode 10 - Man, it feels like forever since we last saw Shenhua. Interesting that we actually got to see Shenhua's father when we never got to see him outside of a photo in the games. Thus the bromance with Ren begins! The pace is starting to pick up now that we only have three episodes left to go. It is a bit weird seeing a realistic looking Kowloon compared to the absolute Blade Runner dystopia it looked like in the game. I did like that we only saw child!Joy from behind so that they use at least a little bit of subtlety in telling us that Dou Niu was behind the murder of her father. You've no idea how excited and then deflated I felt to see Xiuying show up to rescue her student only for it to smash cut to the end credits.

Next episode better open with the greatest curbstomp of all time or else I'll be disappointed. (-_-)

I decided to watch Spy x Family after seeing it all over the place - originally I was going to wait because I'm behind on so many watches/rewatches of various different shows, but since only the first two episodes are out I decided to give it a shot. I absolutely adore it! One of the most enjoyable anime I've seen in a long time. And thankfully I got into it early enough so I'll be able to keep up with it weekly and not fall behind (looks at all the shows I haven't touched in months and sighs heavily)

Finally watched part 1 of Free! -the Final Stroke- movie. My Japanese import of the DVD came in this morning, so I'm glad I finally got to watch it (even if it's a year after it's theatrical release). It was pretty good, seeing Haruka having that panic attack whenever he thinks of Albert was pretty heart-wrenching, now I can't wait for the final movie to see how all this new development goes. Sucks that I'll probably have to wait months to a year before I can pre-order the DVD of it though, since it recently released (I think either today or yesterday). Also sad that part 2 is the end of this wonderful series, it's one of my top favorite sports anime so it'll be weird not seeing anything new for this series afterwards.

Yooo Spice & Wolf is a great one, a classic. I heard they’re remaking it too!

Last I watched was Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- and I haven’t finished it, but oh man am I enjoying it— but I’m a sucker for anything involving AI and the boundary between being a machine and being human. It’s about the first ever fully sentient android tasked with stopping an AI take over 1,000 years into the future, and we watch Vivy’s world change around her as time passes. Has some beautiful art and very tragic and moving episodic storylines. Pleaaase give it a shot, especially if you like feeling something like I do LOL.

Finally completed the '96 anime of You're Under Arrest! and also finished it's prequel OVA a while ago as well. Might get around to watching the rest of the sequels and side stories at some point, since there's surprisingly quite a few of them, but I need to get around to finally watching The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window and Maria the Virgin Witch. I'm also thinking of rewatching a few other series yet again, mainly early SAO, Kuroko's Basketball, Wolf's Rain, early Prince of Tennis, and Pandora Hearts (yes I enjoyed the anime adaptation as much as the manga, it's not that bad).

Just watched episodes 29-30 of Dear Brother, aka Oniisama e. Now that my dad is out of state for a few days and I can watch my blu-rays in the den without him using the computer in there, I'm gonna see if I can watch the rest of the series over the course of the weekend. I know it's streaming on RetroCrush and Tubi, but I prefer the subtitles on the Blu-Ray, as they're easier to read.

The true measure of a good OP is how well it sells the show in just 90 seconds. By chance the OP to "Ya Boy Kongming" appeared in my YT recommended feed and thinking it was a rhythm game based on the thumbnail, I clicked on it and was instantly hooked and have binged the show to catch up. There's something about this show, it's not that the plot is intricately deep or the characters super unique...but the way the voice acting, animation and especially the music all comes together that really make it feel heartfelt. Just like Kids on the Slope, it makes me curious how the original manga will compare given that it was a soundless medium.

Here's hoping the show will get a dub and not go the way of several other music focused shows of the past ten years.
-------------------

Aside from that, I decided to check out the first couple of episodes of "Don't Hurt Me, My Healer!" since I was hearing such mixed things about it. If I had to describe it, it's like taking Konosuba and turning up both the wackiness and the whole "Party being jerks to each other" schtick up to eleven and then beyond.

Definitely not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it so far and am willing to stick with it for the time being.

Shenmue Episodes 11, 12 & 13: Seeing as the last stretch of plot is pretty continuous with few time jumps, I decided to just watch the last three episodes together as if they were an hour long special and man did I enjoy myself. The assault on the Yellow Head Building was immense fun to see, I appreciated the little touches added like expanding on why Joy and Wong were there with a deeper look into Joy's backstory with the Syndicate. My only real disappointment would be how short the fight between Ryo and Baihu ended up being. They added in extra scenes of the mysterious masked man in order to foreshadow his inevitable fight with Ryo but it was over in such a short time...ah well, here's hoping he shows up again in the future. Anyways, I felt they did the climax with Lan Di and Dou Niu justice, Ryo starting off with the Swallow Dive kick that Guizhang taught him and then finishing him off with the Bajiquan technique from Xiuying, really brought the whole thing full circle.

My closing thoughts on the entire show was that it was very well executed, the writers really knew what to keep, what to cut and what to add in to streamline the show but still capture its essence. Definitely one of the better video game adaptations and easily the best of the "Crunchyroll Originals" in my eyes. Definitely a recommend from me.

I just finished the very final episode of Carol and Tuesday. The climax was a mesmerizing blast! Loved every bit of it!!

Back
Top Bottom