• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Shakugan no Shana II 1-12

I watched this dubbed, as I was fortunate to receive my FUNimation release of both parts 1-2 from America on Friday with no customs charge. Beautiful packaging - truly beautiful, but there are a few things that have niggled me:

1) The size of the box.
FUNimation's season 1 rerelease was DVD height (FUNimation put DVD-sized slipcovers over blu-ray cases to trick stores into stocking them on DVD isles), while season 2's awesome artbox is blu-ray height - which means they won't match when lined up together! Grr....

2) The dub.
I knew the chances of Ocean dubbing season 2 were slim, but I thought FUNimation would have gone a better job in-house (I wasn't a fan of Ocean's dub of season 1 anyway). The dialogue is jarring (which is made painfully obvious when they redub flashbacks to season 1) and the general quality of the acting is bad - it sounds like a lot of the actors are merely trying to read the lines as fast as they can to match the lip flaps. I do have to give Cherami Leigh credit for actually being a much needed improvement over Tabitha St. Germain and Colleen Clinkenbeard and Justin Cook for trying to match Janye Jaud and Trevor Devall's Margery and Marchosias (respectively). However, I despise Todd Haberkorn's Khamsin (I equally despised Cathy Weseluck's performance in the Ocean dub - can't anyone other than Junko Minagawa play this character right?!) and Greg Ayres' Keisaku - seriously, why do those two keep on getting roles? They're not actors (especially Greg Ayres). I'm also disappointed by Kent William's Alastor - I knew he would always be my least favourite of the three actors (Masashi Ebara being my favourite and Paul Dobson's performance being pretty spot on) but....it just doesn't "feel" like Alastor; he needs a much more powerful voice. I'm also so damn glad that Sorath only had two lines in season 2 because frankly... Micah Solusod's "performance" was laughable at best.

FUNimation did well in correcting the mispronunciation of Wilhemina though (as a Germanic name, the "W" should be pronounced as a "V", which GeneonUSA didn't figure out). I still can't get used to her new voice actress though and FUNimation completely lose Tiamat's character by making her dialogue sound too casual.

3) The video quality
Okay, it's Japan's fault that the HD remaster is absolutely shite. However, FUNimation were aware of this and could have done their own in-house remaster. At the very least though, the Japanese TV spots and What? Why? Shana?" shorts have the most horrific video quality I've ever seen - stretched and compressed like mad, they look worse than the average Youtube video. At least "Shakugan no Shana-tan" looks just as good as the main series - although I'm annoyed that some of the shorts included on part 1 are actually spoilers for part 2 (I'm personally glad that I've already seen season 2 and 3 in Japanese xD).

Nichijou. I haven't finished it yet, but it is absolutely hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom