• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

So...Thinking it was just a children's movie, I put on "Giovanni's Island" for tonight's anime viewing.

It even started out with the children happily playing on the island and I was like "awwww..." until the Soviets came and the children started dying in the concentration camps and I was like "ooohhhh...". :(

At least the ending was sorta hopeful if incredibly bittersweet. That was at least better than the crushing depression of something like "Grave of the Fireflies". I still cried an awful lot during the film though. :cry:

"Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms".

Hmm...mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand it's great to see a straight fantasy anime made again in this cursed era of Isekai and the setting was genuinely interesting with some emotional moments that got to me. But the characters and the plot really needed more time to be fleshed out - in fact this story would have been much better served as a TV drama rather than a film. It's a shame really, I expect much better from Mari Okada but I think pulling double duty as Director and Writer for the first time stretched her too thinly across both roles. Hopefully she leans from this and improves in the future.

"Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms".

Hmm...mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand it's great to see a straight fantasy anime made again in this cursed era of Isekai and the setting was genuinely interesting with some emotional moments that got to me. But the characters and the plot really needed more time to be fleshed out - in fact this story would have been much better served as a TV drama rather than a film. It's a shame really, I expect much better from Mari Okada but I think pulling double duty as Director and Writer for the first time stretched her too thinly across both roles. Hopefully she leans from this and improves in the future.

I honestly really liked Maquia myself (Own the limited edition blu-ray box, and I'm hoping it shows up on Netflix so I can convince my dad to watch it), though I do agree with your criticisms.

I don't know. I haven't watched an anime episode in a long time, including Pokémon.

However, I believe it was some episode of the Digimon reboot.

"Grimgar: Fantasy and Ash"

I can't prove it, but I really feel as though the original author wanted to write a straight fantasy series but the publisher told him/her to make in an Isekai. Thus we practically have an Isekai in name only as while a bunch of humans were sent to Grimgar, they were also made amnesiacs so none of the typical Isekai tropes come into play.

Anyways, I really did like the series but it suffers the typical "just twelve episodes now go read the source material" of modern anime. Also I heard there was executive meddling where the staff were forced to put in large amounts of insert songs to the point where the actors were complaining about lines they recorded being cut to fit in the musical montages which is sad.

But despite that I enjoyed the show and am looking into seeing if I can get my hands on the novels. :bulbaLove:

Finally continuing what's left of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's after getting caught off guard by other stuff. Now up to the two part (I think) episode where Leo, Luna and Jack duel against Aporia.

Finally continuing what's left of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's after getting caught off guard by other stuff. Now up to the two part (I think) episode where Leo, Luna and Jack duel against Aporia.

Good duel, that is.

"Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion"

From the subtitle alone you can probably guess what this show was about and that it ain't child friendly. I had a pit in my stomach watching throughout as I know my history so I knew the inevitable conclusion and it wasn't any easier seeing it play out. Other than the death and despair, it was an awesome show with lovable characters, an intense plot and lots of cool action. You really want it to keep going to see more of what precious little time this band of makeshift warriors spend fighting together but I totally get that had it been longer than twelve episodes then it probably wouldn't have been as nail-bitingly tense of a war over a few days.

Back
Top Bottom