• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Earlier today I watched the first two episodes of Record of Ragnarok, and the animation is.. certainly lacking. Character designs, soundtrack, and voice acting are great though, so at least it has that going for it so far. I hear the animation gets better, but I'm not exactly looking forward to "slideshow"-esque scenes, that said I'll give it a chance still (at least it's not Way of the Househusband bad lol). It's getting a second season though, so if it entertains me I'll give the second season a chance as well.

And just now I finished the first two episodes of Sket Dance as well. So, I love how chuuni this show is so far, it reminds me of Gintama a bit with it's humor and eccentric characters. My favorite of the trio is Kazuyoshi so far, I just love how serious he looks but still goes along with the craziness lol, I also like that he speaks through a voice synthesizer on his computer for some reason. So far I'm getting enjoyment out of it, we'll have to see if it beats out Gintama in comedy for me.

Just finished reading Rave's Volume 16. Because the anime adaptation was cancelled before the part I'm in, then I see no problem of talking about the manga here. One thing that annoys me the most in Mashima's work (I remember having talked about it before) is that several times a character is presented as a major threat ("He's the strongest from their team", "He's killed over 1000 people by now", "No one has ever defeated him yet", etc etc...), yet the protagonists always find a way to easily defeat them (usually through a combination of luck, as* pull, power of nakama, among others. It happens in every single of his series, countless times, and Rave's no exception.

However something that I really like about his work is that he writes\draws sad\touching scenes really well, that might be a reason why I'm such a fan of his series as a whole (as well as I really like his drawing style, so much that I use it as an inspiration for my own). Reina's death in the end of this tankoubon touched me yet again.

Watched the first two episodes of DAYS. I never though I'd get irritated quick in the second episode, this doesn't happen in a sports anime for me even when characters act like an ass lol; so pretty much in the second episode the soccer team are in a training camp and Tsukushi (the MC) gets immediately mocked/laughed at because of his height and how he doesn't look like a member, like what is a soccer player supposed to look like? Anyway it's good so far, though I'm not a big fan of the MC's Pikachu-like cheeks - with those permanent light pink blushes (and it just looks weird when he blushes even more and the red crosses over on them), otherwise I still like him (though not my favorite sports anime MC, he's a bit too goody-goody; I like characters like a snarky/sarcastic Ryoma or a blunt Tetsuya and Haruka more lol).

Also watched episodes 3-4 of Record of Ragnarok. After watching more, it's starting to warm up on me, and some of the worries I had are easing up a bit. Animation is still a bit lacking in some areas, but in others it isn't too bad. I'm still thinking of getting to the manga at some point though, as what I heard from the manga readers the pacing is way off apparently, so I'll look into it at some point then.

Episodes 3-4 of DAYS. 3 was an exciting episode in seeing Tsukushi and his team wipe the floor against their opponents in a mock match, I also like how his team dislikes it when someone else disses on Tsukushi and defends him, then turns around to do the same to him but in a more fun way (like "you can't make fun of or mock him, only we can"); I quite like the antagonistic friendship Tsukushi has with most of the team lol. Episode 4 though.. introduces the worst girl imo; why couldn't they have the MC's childhood friend be the manager instead? Or like, have a girl that isn't straight up mean/rude like Chikako? Tsukushi's best friend is way better and more interesting than this bitch. Ngl, I kinda skipped around this episode cause of her and I don't even do that usually unless something gets on my nerves, and I can just feel her being the tsundere trope (nothing against it personally, I just like it more in guys since it's cuter/better on them usually imo). I really hope she changes soon, cause I might just drop this if she doesn't (which sucks cause otherwise this series is fun so far). Speaking of the female manager trope in sports anime, I'm getting tired of it, more anime/manga in the genre should use male or older female characters in the role instead, I can only think of very few where that is the case (plus it'd be cool to see more older women like Sumire Ryuzaki leading/helping the team, and yes she's a coach but still).

Yashahime season 2 episode 3
SessRin debate and story debates aside... can we please give poor Rin a break? Poor girl's died like twice before even reaching her teens, has been a target a million times because everyone hates Sesshomaru, now she's stuck in a tree because a psycho lady can't mind her own business.

Also watched one of the new ones, Taisho Otome Fairy Tale. Cute show, got fairly dark-ish at times and hit a feels nerve for me, might be why I liked it. I know it's probably kind of tropey with the tiny cute girl and unneccesarily terrible family, but still.

Watched episodes 1 and 2 of Noblesse. Also went ahead and watched the OVA as well, so anyone getting into this anime needs to watch Awakening first (though the pacing is most definitely not ideal and it's a condensed version of events, especially since they adapted what they could of the first 90 chapters in 31 minutes). So far I like it, but I'm not enjoying that they changed the setting from South Korea to Japan, and the pacing is weird due to how they oddly format events between the OVA and main anime; seems like they're putting in up to 200 chapters in 13 episodes, so more of the format is gonna feel jumped around it seems. That said, I like how they still made the characters endearing and unique like from the manhwa, so it's nice that I'm feeling invested in them again.

Also watched the first three episodes of D.Gray-man. Interesting start so far, but nothing really unique, designs for the characters are cool but personality wise not sure how I feel about them yet, though Allen is interesting so far. I'm not too fond of Allen's Japanese VA though, I don't mind that he's voiced by a woman but at least try to make his voice somewhat deeper, it's hard to take seriously when he screams or his voice is raised (it reminds me of Eva's Netflix dub and how Shinji's new VA makes him sound too girly, she should've tried to make it more boyish; the original ADV dub is way better imo). I think I might just switch to the dub tomorrow, plus I like Todd Haberkorn's work so it'll make watching the rest of the series bearable (also imagining Italy, Hikaru, Kid, and Natsu voicing Allen is amusing to me lol).

Watched episodes 7 and 8 of Noblesse. Seven was a breather episode for the most part til the end, in which Yusuke/Shinwoo and Manabu/Ik-Han are told that their memories must be altered in order to protect themselves and their families, due to their knowledge that their friends aren't humans/normal humans and plus them getting involved when the group is in trouble; so that part was bittersweet. I did enjoy the basketball game in which Yusuke tries to get Seira's attention, though predictably it didn't go as planned lol; also, I just wanna say that Regis went full Seijuro (from KnB) with his playstyle, and his ankle breaker was similar to Seijuro's (also a bit like Kyrie Irving's as well, now that I think about it). And episode eight we get some of Frankenstein's backstory plus a few minor events from Lukedonia, overall an intense episode considering the character showcased (I do wish they toned down a bit on the flash/lighting for their attacks and weapons though, I got a bit of a headache because of it).

Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE: Watched the whole thing over the course of maybe a week? Real good series, I liked it a lot. I feel like the plot and character development was really good, and the action was top-notch. Core Gundam's gimmick is also something I really love to see in a series, since I'm an absolute sucker for mode changes adapting to different situations, and Hiroto's got eight of them that all look super awesome. Overall a really good series that I would recommend.

Finished off Noblesse yesterday. I thought the adaptation was pretty alright, I know a lot of other people that read the manhwa didn't like it, but I loved both the original and this adaptation personally (once again I loved Pandora Heart's anime adaptation and the manga, so it shouldn't be surprising lol). Yeah seeing certain events and plot points being rushed (especially the last episode with Raizel's and Raskreia's battle, the message from the previous Lord, and the complete merging of the two swords of Ragnarok) and characters being pushed aside/flat out removed wasn't the best idea, but I give it some leeway to adapt up to around 200 chapters so far. And I'll give it to the anime for making me somewhat tolerate Raskreia compared to her original manhwa counterpart, she's just straight up annoying imo. Anyway, hopefully there'll be a second season that CR will actually put the money into this time, even if it still doesn't fully adapt everything; plus I just wanna see how far they'd get to and maybe introduce the werewolves (M-21 doesn't count, he's modified).

Apologies for the double post, but I just started three different anime recently:

Last night I started Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy, this one completely slipped my radar for some reason. The first episode was fun, I love how disgustingly OP Makoto is so far, and this just reminds me why I love the isekai genre. I also love Emma, she's so cute that I hope we get to see more of her throughout the series.

Another one I started, and yet another I've been aware of but never got around to, is Katekyo Hitman Reborn. This one is alright so far, I only watched three episodes and the humor is already starting to bore me somewhat. I've been told it gets better around episode 19 and onward, since that's when it transitions into battle shounen, one of my online friends told me to just skip to that episode since the rest are just comedy (and that apparently the manga was originally a gag type before moving to battle shounen since sales were dropping and was losing popularity). I think I might just do that sometime tomorrow, but I'll still give episode 4 a shot to see if it can hook me with whatever joke it'll pull.

And for this one, I finally decided to watch the Fate anime. Now my only exposure to this series is the games, mainly the original VN, Grand Order, and the two EXTELLA console games; otherwise I was put off from the anime due to how they kinda either butcher or make the lore even more confusing (which is why the reason I still play GO is not for lore, but for mindless summons on getting some cool interpretations of historical and mythical figures lol). I decided to go with my brother's watch order (since he's like, the biggest Fate fan I know lol), which is Unlimited Blade Works (currently watching) > Sunny Day OVA > Heaven's Feel movies > Zero > Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note. After that I can watch any other OVA or spinoff apparently, which cool I guess? I know Stay Night had a 2006 adaptation and I remember seeing clips of it on YouTube years ago after completing the VN, and yeah this adaptation I'll skip with how terrible it is, I already read the Fate route so that's good enough lol.

For a non "newer" show I'm watching:
Still watching D.Gray-man. Haven't gotten passed episode 12 since Funimation started buffering the video too much (why am I paying subscription again, if this keeps happening? Same for CR, use my money to either better the site or actually go to Japanese animators and studios, please), so hopefully tonight I'll be able to get back to it and watch 13 and on.

Digimon Ghost Game Episode 1: A strong start to the series. Really liking the horror movie-type tone it's got going, and it's set up a good series mystery with Gammamon's terrifying future self. Gammamon who, by the way, is even more precious than I'd hoped.

Well that's Gore down for yet again in VRAINS for now. Not gonna lie, I kinda don't like what Season Two did with him.

Feels like they really didn't know what to do with him and so just went, "Yeah, let's make him get all jealous over Playmaker for... reasons, I guess."

I did still feel bad for him though so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom